Page 87 of 333 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 4987

I do feel DC only keep Diana as prominent as they do because she's a social and marketing icon

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I do feel DC only keep Diana as prominent as they do because she's a social and marketing icon
    Historically yes that’s true. They had to always publish a monthly WW comic or the rights would’ve reverted to Marston. She’s never been treated very well by their editorial. However that’s starting to change with the success of the WW movie. They’re clearly trying, in their own incompetent way, to push her with stuff like the upcoming animated movie.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Historically yes that’s true. They had to always publish a monthly WW comic or the rights would’ve reverted to Marston. She’s never been treated very well by their editorial. However that’s starting to change with the success of the WW movie. They’re clearly trying, in their own incompetent way, to push her with stuff like the upcoming animated movie.
    The problem with this is fans never seem to agree on the right direction for the comic. Everyone seems to think that they're way is the way to do it, but I am here to tell you it is not, lol! There is always going to be a significant portion of the fan base that will push for the opposite direction, so editorial will either put out a half-assed version of either or something that no one asked for, leaving no one satisfied in either camp.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    The problem with this is fans never seem to agree on the right direction for the comic. Everyone seems to think that they're way is the way to do it, but I am here to tell you it is not, lol! There is always going to be a significant portion of the fan base that will push for the opposite direction, so editorial will either put out a half-assed version of either or something that no one asked for, leaving no one satisfied in either camp.
    Well afaik Diana has 3 camps.

Golden Age - Focus less on warrior stuff and more on love as well as advanced amazon science
    Bronze Age - A heavier focus on the magical side of things, with a lessening of the overt themes
    N52 - WW is an agressive warrior

Everything in this post, especially the bolded, could easily apply to Batman (especially now with King's run). DC still puts more effort into him than they do Diana or any other character for that matter. Fans not agreeing on what is the right direction for the character is not unique to Diana and blaming it on the fans is just letting DC off the hook.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Everything in this post, especially the bolded, could easily apply to Batman (especially now with King's run). DC still puts more effort into him than they do Diana or any other character for that matter. Fans not agreeing on what is the right direction for the character is not unique to Diana and blaming it on the fans is just letting DC off the hook.
    Can we gild this post?

Fans don’t dictate the comic’s direction, editorial and the writers do. A lot of people complained on CBR about Scott Snyder’s Batman run but that didn’t stop it from selling. Ditto Morrison’s Action Comics or Johns JL. If WW’s comic isn’t selling that’s because editorial isn’t putting the right creative team on her book, not because fans can’t agree on what direction WW’s book should go.

And really every character has this problem with fans not agreeing on what direction the book should go in. We Superman fans have been arguing with each other over what direction to take Supes in since the Byrne reboot. Batman fans have been arguing about how dark he should be, should he be more “grounded” or embrace the “comic book elements”, should he be more involved with the Batfamily, who should he date, etc. Spidey fans have been fighting with each other over his marriage since OMD. Rinse and repeat for everyone.

Retired

I might have my own opinions for where I would like Wonder Woman to go, but I don't want the Wonder Woman editor checking the message boards each day to see which way the wind is blowing, using their Ouija board, consulting their horoscope, reading the Tarot cards, checking Beyonce's twitter and changing directions every five minutes. Be an editor, make a decisive call, pick your lane and stay there. And stay there for at least two years. If that direction isn't working after two years, then maybe it's time to make an executive decision and find a new direction. But editors should lead not follow. And the publisher should have their back. The problem with Wonder Woman is that the comic is never content to stick with a creative team's vision and no sooner do I get into it, then everything is thrown out the window.

Extraordinary Member

Of course it's not, but it seems to be the biggest issue for Diana (with a second place not going to Superman, even though, his sales generally remain stable regardless of the creative team).
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-03-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Except Batman rarely has a problem selling. That's the big difference.
    And whose fault is that?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I might have my own opinions for where I would like Wonder Woman to go, but I don't want the Wonder Woman editor checking the message boards each day to see which way the wind is blowing, using their Ouija board, consulting their horoscope, reading the Tarot cards, checking Beyonce's twitter and changing directions every five minutes. Be an editor, make a decisive call, pick your lane and stay there. And stay there for at least two years. If that direction isn't working after two years, then maybe it's time to make an executive decision and find a new direction. But editors should lead not follow. And the publisher should have their back. The problem with Wonder Woman is that the comic is never content to stick with a creative team's vision and no sooner do I get into it, then everything is thrown out the window.
    Sticking with a direction for any significant amount of time seems to be another issue. With every new creative team on that book, another direction is made.

Extraordinary Member

And whose fault is that?
    As I mentioned earlier, that would be editorials. They generally let any new creative team have their way whenever a new one jumps on. It's hard to get any real sense of her world when you never know what to expect creative team from creative team.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Well afaik Diana has 3 camps.

Golden Age - Focus less on warrior stuff and more on love as well as advanced amazon science
    Bronze Age - A heavier focus on the magical side of things, with a lessening of the overt themes
    N52 - WW is an agressive warrior
    Well, there's also the post-Crisis/Perez fans.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    the Vixen x John Stewart pairing is a far more egregious example of the matching set/"Like goes with Like" trope than Black Panther and Storm ever were.
    It made sense in the TV show where it originated, as it so sharply contrasted with Stewart's relationship with Hawkgirl. However, outside that context, yeah, I agree with you.

As an aside, I still have a hard time with the John + Shayera thing, no matter how well it was done, because of my love of the Hawks as equals in a stable relationship. My pick for John would have been Wonder Woman, but even I have to admit that "Star Crossed" would have lost all of its power without the Talek-Shayera-John triangle.

Boisterously Confused

I don't care how much of an artistic triumph Joker is, turning villains into protagonists without a clear, unambiguous redemption arc, is not good for us.