Page 9 of 333 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
    Retired

Hal was a hero that tried to stop the death of millions in his home city that was turned into an anti-hero that tried to save the original universe that became a villain that destroyed the Corps that redeemed himself by sacrificing himself for the solar system that returned from whaterver purgatory he was in to become the Wrath of God that was returned into corporeal form to defeat Parallax that became a hero of the Corps. I don't think Hal needs to go down that road again.

Dc was better off letting Dick's generation take over.

They should have shelved the legacies and slowly brought them rather than suffering from favoritism. Them being revamped to ne less dependent on their mentors wouldnt have hurt.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-23-2018 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Then Johns should have called it the motivational spectrum.

It's been claimed that humans have only two motivations -- fear and desire. That's a very interesting idea. In fact, it's been claimed that people are nothing more than a bundle of various fears and desires.
    "It's been claimed that humans have only two motivations -- fear and desire."

Fear and desire? That just doesn't seem right. Sounds too shallow, imo. I don't think firefighters, soldiers and warriors or heroes in general are motivated by any of those. There is also a strong sense of duty and also honor. A firefighter doesn't risk his life because of fear or desire, he does it because it's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Do you think Batman Forever is better than The Dark Knight? For you, Grant Morrison is a mediocre writer? Martian Manhunter is the best character DC have?
    Post your controversial opinions about everything DC related... characters, authors, past and present run, movies and TV series...
    My controversial opinion is that I don't care for the Green Lantern character/s. His power seems so silly compared to the others.

Retired

It's interesting to think that the original concept for Green Lantern was Aladdin. His alter ego was even going to be named Alan Ladd--before they thought that was too far fetched even for them.

With the original character, it's like with everyone trying to top everyone else in how over-powered their heroes could be--more powerful than Superman at the time--Bill Finger and Martin Nodell decided it was time to either go big or go home and threw everything into the character, including the kitchen sink.

His costume is the most over the top costume ever created (which is why I love it), so garish in its design and colour combo. The ring lets Alan Scott do virtually anything--there are no limits. I believe the wood limitation was a later invention. The only super-hero that could be on the same level as GL would be the Spectre. Good thing that Jim and Alan were friends, hanging out together in the Justice Society. If they had ever got in a fight, there would be no end to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    I'm confused by what "overly militaristic schtick" means. That's not what I see. I mean, she doesn't go around dropping salutes or ten-hutting or roger-rogering or lip-synching to the Team America soundtrack or whatever, y'know? Hardly a "schtick".
    Maybe I haven't read enough stories with Batwoman but in the stories I have seen her in, her character usually boils down to "I'm a soldier, it's what i do" and those type of characters just don't interest me. Maybe I'm just not well versed on her character and still a little salty that she attempted murdered on my boy Clayface, she just tends to rub me the wrong way in the stories I've seen of her. Not enough to be like "ugh this bitch again" but just not my cup of tea.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's interesting to think that the original concept for Green Lantern was Aladdin. His alter ego was even going to be named Alan Ladd--before they thought that was too far fetched even for them.

With the original character, it's like with everyone trying to top everyone else in how over-powered their heroes could be--more powerful than Superman at the time--Bill Finger and Martin Nodell decided it was time to either go big or go home and threw everything into the character, including the kitchen sink.

His costume is the most over the top costume ever created (which is why I love it), so garish in its design and colour combo. The ring lets Alan Scott do virtually anything--there are no limits. I believe the wood limitation was a later invention. The only super-hero that could be on the same level as GL would be the Spectre. Good thing that Jim and Alan were friends, hanging out together in the Justice Society. If they had ever got in a fight, there would be no end to it.
    I haven't read all the All-American Comics ever printed, but I seem to recall the range of Green Lantern's powers were originally relatively narrow. Flight, invulnerability to metals, ability to pass through solid objects, not even reliable light-beam-punch that would become one of his visual staples in later years.

I never liked different colored kryptonite.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    My controversial opinion is that I don't care for the Green Lantern character/s. His power seems so silly compared to the others.
    This is kinda just a general question to everyone in the thread. What is too silly for superhero comic books and how much is a turn off to you?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    This is kinda just a general question to everyone in the thread. What is too silly for superhero comic books and how much is a turn off to you?
    Weird thing.

I can totally handle Detective Chimp. I'm good with Aliens That Look Just Like Us. I can take the notion that Atlanteans - floating in a 3-d environment - might have furniture that you sit on (like thrones). Or even the idea that Clark Kent's glasses constitute a disguise.

However, Bruce Wayne starting A Corporate Initiative To Support Batman and nobody snipers him to death on the off-chance that he's Batman?

That's more than I can handle.

All-New Member

For me? There's basically no limit. Some ideas I won't be too fond of, but as soon as a decent story is made with those ideas, I'll throw all my reservations out the window.

Example: I didn't like Hawkman so much, but after reading Death of Hawkman and Venditti's new book, I'm all for him

Not gonna lie though, this opinion kind of makes it hard for me to empathise with people who "just don't like character x", because every single time I have ever thought or said that, I have to take it back because I find a story with them I like, and its worth it to me. Superman, Hawkman, Hawkeye, Cyclops, etc etc. I change my opinion later every time.

.. Is this a controversial opinion? Is this ok in this thread? The rules seem very open so I'm just gonna post this and hope there isn't a problem

I'm not sure where the line is. I'm usually okay with absurd concepts.... as long as it's handled well. When a super serious dark and realistic book starts having fun and cutesy and silly things... without acknowledging the difference in genres I start to get drawn out of the story pretty fast.

The only thing that's too ridiculous for me is gag characters. I know they're not supposed to be taken seriously but I just can't invest in them if that makes any sense.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

I’d say as far as silly things go, it all depends on execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayls_171 View Post
    For me? There's basically no limit. Some ideas I won't be too fond of, but as soon as a decent story is made with those ideas, I'll throw all my reservations out the window.

Example: I didn't like Hawkman so much, but after reading Death of Hawkman and Venditti's new book, I'm all for him

Not gonna lie though, this opinion kind of makes it hard for me to empathise with people who "just don't like character x", because every single time I have ever thought or said that, I have to take it back because I find a story with them I like, and its worth it to me. Superman, Hawkman, Hawkeye, Cyclops, etc etc. I change my opinion later every time.

.. Is this a controversial opinion? Is this ok in this thread? The rules seem very open so I'm just gonna post this and hope there isn't a problem
    There are only 2 characters that I can't stand in comics. Harley Quinn and Jason Todd.

I love Harley in BTAS, the Arkham games, and a few comics here and there. But her character since the New 52 has been insufferable. Same with Jason Todd. I enjoy his appearances in other media and I like him as villain/antagonist in Under the Hood and Morrison's DickBats run. These characters to me only work when they are villains and or do their own form of sick justice that keeps them at odds with the superhero community. Once other heroes start working with them in a normal capacity or accept their methods I take issue with it.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics