Page 95 of 333 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 4987
    Boisterously Confused

"Third smartest man" is a dumb nickname, for a really cool character. It should be to impossible to say whether Mister Terrific is smarter than Lex Luthor or vice versa. It should just be obvious that they're both six-sigma out from the rest of us. Including Batman.

The story that converted Wonder Girl into Troia was actually pretty good. If they had done it with Lilith or a totally new character, it would have worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Well Penguin has only been in two movies and a couple of TV shows, and just another one of the villains in three of those so I don't see why people would complain about Penguin.
    What other movie has Penguin been in since Batman Returns? Do you mean Batman '66?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The thing that really burns me right now is all this backlash against BATWOMAN on social media. The people attacking it are attacking it as if it was a major motion picture rather than a small series on a struggling network. And they seem to be attacking the very reason for Batwoman even existing in the Batman's world--which, if that's their issue, they should have addressed years ago when the character was first introduced--not now years and years later when Batwoman has become an established DC property.
    I'm pretty sure there were complaints when the character was first introduced in comics, but as to why there is such a backlash now, just look at the times. Being the focus of her own TV show has shone a brighter light on her than when she was just in the comics, and there is such a toxic culture out that that rebels against any showing of a strong female protagonist (especially a strong LESBIAN protagonist), that it was inevitable that there would be a loud backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    "Third smartest man" is a dumb nickname, for a really cool character. It should be to impossible to say whether Mister Terrific is smarter than Lex Luthor or vice versa. It should just be obvious that they're both six-sigma out from the rest of us. Including Batman.
    yeah, I miss old school Batman before he was a full on god-being... He was a genius who could design his jets, cars and utility belt gear... he was an expert in psychology and criminology and enough chemistry to figure out protection from fear gas and joker venom... but yeah, building Mech suits to fight Darkseid, building teleporters and space stations and rebuilding things like Red tornado... that just wasn't who he WAS. He was the worlds greatest detective and all his genius and martial arts was directly related to THAT... He was always kind of a Mary Sue.. but he was like Sherlock Holmes. Always had the skills needed at the time... but he wasn't sherlock holmes in mech suits and designing brother eye nano weapons..... WAY too far. Lex should always be a more accomplished mad scientist than Bruce is.

Instead of trying to bring back Diana Prince, Infinite Crisis should have had Superman and Batman come to the realization that the culture of secrets and lies is what cuased Identity Crisis and Brother Eye to happen.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Being the “new young” generation is the worst thing you can be at DC comics. You pretty much waiting around for a new “younger” generation to come along at shuffle you of into C list status.

Mighty Member

Mindwiping is not that big of a deal and the fact that people get up in arms when heroes do it to SUPER VILLAINS (you know....the same super-villains who bring harm to so many innocent people on a daily basis!) is very weird.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    Mindwiping is not that big of a deal and the fact that people get up in arms when heroes do it to SUPER VILLAINS (you know....the same super-villains who bring harm to so many innocent people on a daily basis!) is very weird.
    The heroes weren't just doing it to villains (which is still problematic on a number of levels). They were also doing it to fellow heroes and villains who weren't even that dangerous and had done nothing to deserve such cruelty.

Besides, mindwipes have historically proven ineffective and even Amanda Waller of all people realized they were a bad idea.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The heroes weren't just doing it to villains (which is still problematic on a number of levels). They were also doing it to fellow heroes and villains who weren't even that dangerous and had done nothing to deserve such cruelty.

Besides, mindwipes have historically proven ineffective and even Amanda Waller of all people realized they were a bad idea.
    I’m mainly talking about villains and nothing more. And a villain who isn’t “that dangerous” is still a villain to me. Catwoman may be buddy buddy with Batman and the family. But in my eyes, she’s still a criminal, a villain. I don’t think my mind can change on this. Respectfully speaking, of course.

And on the topic of mindwiping. I thought it was very silly and cringy that Gail Simone had Catman punch Ollie in the face and call him out on mindwiping. I feel like a villain who is on the same team as Deadshot, Cheshire and Bane doesn’t have room to get all righteous and talk about morality. I just wrote it off as her propping up her fave.
    Last edited by Raijin; 11-06-2019 at 03:59 AM.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Now, I really want a Batfamily movie/show starring Bruce Campbell as Batman being mean and a bad Dad

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    I’m mainly talking about villains and nothing more. And a villain who isn’t “that dangerous” is still a villain to me. Catwoman may be buddy buddy with Batman and the family. But in my eyes, she’s still a criminal, a villain. I don’t think my mind can change on this. Respectfully speaking, of course.

And on the topic of mindwiping. I thought it was very silly and cringy that Gail Simone had Catman punch Ollie in the face and call him out on mindwiping. I feel like a villain who is on the same team as Deadshot, Cheshire and Bane doesn’t have room to get all righteous and talk about morality. I just wrote it off as her propping up her fave.
    Catman pointing out the hypocrisy of the JLA is somewhat fair. They aren't as bad as the villains, but it is still pretty shady. He's not a good person, but they don't have much of a leg to stand on. Someone like Selina never did anything to warrant mind tampering. Especially when we get more into the modern age and they stupidly make Batman more hardcore than she is.

The whole period was dumb as all get out.

Yeah, I feel like IC was as much a character assassination (to Jean, of course, but also the JL to a lesser degree) as HiC. Don't think that's very controversial, though. Alas, with enough followup, it becomes the new norm, instead of a horrible aberration/OOC writing. JL doing what it does. Batman doing what he does. Now the TT and their secret prison. I miss my more heroic heroes.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 11-06-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Especially when we get more into the modern age and they stupidly make Batman more hardcore than she is.
    Wasn't Bruce being more ruthless also the fault of the mindwipes?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

There is also that, though I think Batman being darker and more brutal is so pervasive and longer lasting and the mindwipe explanation is from a specific period that may not even be canon anymore. So I don't think people associate edgy Batman with the mindwipes as much as they did back when that story was published. It's just sort of a given with his character now, which I really hate.

Batman becoming colder and more "hardcore" just seemed like something that built up over time as he got older, lost more loved ones to Supervillains, and just in general kept fighting a war that seemingly would never end.

Like, for example, contrast Batman in the Under the Red Hood flashbacks with Jason as Robin to what he was like in the present-day.

Boisterously Confused

No, it was Frank Miller's fault.