Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Ah, all the old great fanart leaping from pens and screens because of the idiocy of the n52's erasure of Steph. I miss it.

I wish we were getting something similar with this benching...but it does go to show that there's a negative effect when you just write someone out. When someone's erased or killed, fans get mad. When someone's still alive, but no one is writing them...fans seem to forget.
    Also, it does not help that Tynion handle of Stephanie has been divisive. Also, the mantle of Spoiler doesn't attract the attention of a lot of fans.

That said, a writer interested in the character with a profitable idea can help a character. I mean Tim has been divisive after New 52, but he's returning because Bendis wants to use him in Young Justice (and Tim is using the mantle of Robin again).
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-16-2018 at 10:47 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Also, it does not help that Tynion handle of Stephanie has been divisive. Also, the mantle of Spoiler doesn't attract the attention of a lot of fans.

That said, a writer interested in the character with a profitable idea can help a character. I mean Tim has been divisive after New 52, but he's returning because Bendis wants to use him in Young Justice (and Tim is using the mantle of Robin again).
    The problem for Steph is the two things she has that I think the fandom would get really excited about are...Robin and Batgirl. And every time I mention them, someone ALWAYS comes in and says "Steph doesn't need Batgirl," "Steph doesn't deserve Batgirl" "Steph should stay as Spoiler" "Spoiler is the only thing Steph has that is her own".

If Steph were put on a team, it would be new (just as it was new when Tynion put her on the Gotham Knights/The Team in Tec), and it doesn't have nostalgia. Sadly, the things Tynion was nostalgic for were things the fandom is split about (TimSteph, Spoiler Steph, Steph as an outsider). As I've tried to lay out in this thread, Steph's always been a fairly difficult character to sell to the wider fanbase, and what we really need is a writer who loves her and can communicate that love to the majority of her fans and create new ones.

Unlike a lot of the Steph fans on this board, I think Tynion does love Steph a lot, but I would agree that he wasn't always the most effective in communicating that love. However, if you look at the response to Detective Comics 980, almost all Steph fans I talked to were incredibly excited to see Steph's history as Batgirl and Robin remembered and honored - and THAT reaction, that pure outpouring of happiness and excitement, is why I reject the idea that "Steph doesn't need Batgirl/Steph should stay Spoiler."

Unless you get a writer who is uniquely able to make Steph as Spoiler popular, the energy of the fanbase is directed at Steph getting a promotion.

Which is why I keep pushing League of Batgirls. It doesn't take away anyone's favorite character, but it would be good for all of them - Babs as mentor and planner, Steph as Batgirl and getting support and learning to work better as a team member, and Cass getting social support.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Amazing Member

I agree with a lot of this, and Steph's Batgirl run was one of the best comics ever, but I'm actually more a Steph as Spoiler fan. I adore the name, the catch phrase opportunities and the costume. She looks so badass in any continuity. I also like her being a little separate from the other bats. She's not one of Batman's kids and she's still amazing, that's a big part of why I love her.
    I think a good bird's of prey title would be awesomely perfect for her . Steph and Cass on a team under Black Canary (I think Babs is a little young for that in this continuity. Maybe some of the other lesser used girls for variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Newnime View Post
    I agree with a lot of this, and Steph's Batgirl run was one of the best comics ever, but I'm actually more a Steph as Spoiler fan. I adore the name, the catch phrase opportunities and the costume. She looks so badass in any continuity. I also like her being a little separate from the other bats. She's not one of Batman's kids and she's still amazing, that's a big part of why I love her.
    I think a good bird's of prey title would be awesomely perfect for her . Steph and Cass on a team under Black Canary (I think Babs is a little young for that in this continuity. Maybe some of the other lesser used girls for variety.
    Welcome to the Steph thread!

Interesing. What are your favorite Steph as Spoiler stories? I do love Steph as Spoiler, but my favorite Steph stories and costumes are as Robin and Batgirl (just because of how my reading history with Steph happened).

I think a Birds of Prey with Steph and Cass would also be nice - actually a lot of us thought that was what Batgirl and the Birds of Prey was going to be before they announced what the real team was, since Steph and Harper were Babs's trainees in the last arc of the n52 Batgirl.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    . . . Which is why I keep pushing League of Batgirls. It doesn't take away anyone's favorite character, but it would be good for all of them - Babs as mentor and planner, Steph as Batgirl and getting support and learning to work better as a team member, and Cass getting social support.
    You're wording this terribly.

By having Steph the only one you label as "Batgirl", that seems to reduce Babs to just being on the sideline and NOT still operating as Batgirl. Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

By having Steph the only one you label as "Batgirl", that seems to reduce Babs to just being on the sideline and NOT still operating as Batgirl. Seriously?
    If you're reading "League of BATGIRLS" and thinking I'm pushing only one Batgirl, I don't know what to say.

To elaborate a bit, what I'm trying to say with "but it would be good for all of them - Babs as mentor and planner, Steph as Batgirl and getting support and learning to work better as a team member, and Cass getting social support."

That's what they all GET from a "League of Batgirls" - they're ALL Batgirl, but Babs gets to be a mentor, instead of a callow young novice hero, Steph gets to be Batgirl (instead of Spoiler - she becomes a clearly recognized member of the family), and Cass gets relationships that don't end in tragedy.
    Last edited by millernumber1; 10-16-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Take into account that this is the appreciation theme for Stephanie, then the focus is on her. However, she metioned this as the League of Batgirls, so all them should be Batgirls.

I would prefer that Barbara use Batwoman at some point in the future, but that's another story.

Babs as Batgirl Alpha. Cass as Batgirl Badass. And Steph as Batgirl Funtime.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    This is how I also see the trio of Batgirls.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-16-2018 at 03:50 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    This is how I also see the trio of Batgirls.
    I'd personally say Steph is the hopeful determinator, but otherwise, this is pretty much a great summary of the dynamic!

Babs, Cass, and Steph: Brains, brawn, and heart.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Babs, Cass, and Steph: Brains, brawn, and heart.
    It's Batgirl Eternal!

So, gotta ask. Been running into this as I peruse fanfics, but what's up with people pairing off Jason and Stephanie? I mean, they barely interact. At all. Steph and Damian interact more than those two, and most of that is bickering. Am I over thinking it, or is it just shippers being shippers?

It's just shippers being shippers. As you say, there's no basis for it in the comics: as far as I know, the only time they've ever had a chance to interact was in Batman & Robin Eternal; and I don't recall it ever actually happening even then.

(pre-Flashpoint, Jason was dead when Stephanie debuted, and Stephanie was dead when Jason returned; it was only in the last few years before the Flashpoint when both were active at the same time; and for most of that, Jason was playing villain to Dick and Damian's Batman and Robin, while Stephanie was busy making Batgirl her own.)
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 10-16-2018 at 05:57 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    It's just shippers being shippers. As you say, there's no basis for it in the comics: as far as I know, the only time they've ever had a chance to interact was in Batman & Robin Eternal; and I don't recall it ever actually happening even then.

(pre-Flashpoint, Jason was dead when Stephanie debuted, and Stephanie was dead when Jason returned; it was only in the last few years before the Flashpoint when both were active at the same time; and for most of that, Jason was playing villain to Dick and Damian's Batman and Robin.)
    Good to know. Thanks for the clarification!