Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    So, gotta ask. Been running into this as I peruse fanfics, but what's up with people pairing off Jason and Stephanie? I mean, they barely interact. At all. Steph and Damian interact more than those two, and most of that is bickering. Am I over thinking it, or is it just shippers being shippers?
    I think they pick up on the similarities between the two in being rebels against Batman, so they think they might have a fun romance. I think it's fine, but I don't see why it's better than a more opposites-attract thing with Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    It's just shippers being shippers. As you say, there's no basis for it in the comics: as far as I know, the only time they've ever had a chance to interact was in Batman & Robin Eternal; and I don't recall it ever actually happening even then.

(pre-Flashpoint, Jason was dead when Stephanie debuted, and Stephanie was dead when Jason returned; it was only in the last few years before the Flashpoint when both were active at the same time; and for most of that, Jason was playing villain to Dick and Damian's Batman and Robin, while Stephanie was busy making Batgirl her own.)
    Steph and Jason had ONE issue where they interacted - #23, where he is impressed by her verbally taking Scarecrow down. But that's it.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

"We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    So, gotta ask. Been running into this as I peruse fanfics, but what's up with people pairing off Jason and Stephanie? I mean, they barely interact. At all. Steph and Damian interact more than those two, and most of that is bickering. Am I over thinking it, or is it just shippers being shippers?
    I think a big part of it is that their backstories are extremely similar but they still turned out so different and that makes it's interesting. Both of their mom's were on drugs, their dad's were involved with supervillains (Cluemaster was one and Willis was a henchmen) They were both unfairly compared to the Robins that came before them and after they died they were both used as cautionary tales. But Stephs still hopefull while Jason's cynical. They're basically what eachother could have been under different circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Newnime View Post
    I think a big part of it is that their backstories are extremely similar but they still turned out so different and that makes it's interesting. Both of their mom's were on drugs, their dad's were involved with supervillains (Cluemaster was one and Willis was a henchmen) They were both unfairly compared to the Robins that came before them and after they died they were both used as cautionary tales. But Stephs still hopefull while Jason's cynical. They're basically what eachother could have been under different circumstances.
    Well said! I like the idea of them as friends, but as I said, I'm not convinced they'd work the best as romantic interests.

But I have read a couple of good fics featuring the pairing.

Amazing Member

On the subject of fan fiction, are there any good ones on going now where Steph isn't just a love interest? Looking on ao3 is a nightmare. She's tagged in everything then only shows up for one or two scenes.

On the subject of fan fiction, are there any good ones on going now where Steph isn't just a love interest? Looking on ao3 is a nightmare. She's tagged in everything then only shows up for one or two scenes.
    I will have to check - I am subscribed to several, but it has been a bit since they have updated. I'll try to post some of them later tonight. Which ones have you read so far? And are you against any romance, or just the ones where Steph's only plot is romance?

Amazing Member

Not against romance if its well written and not just Steph fawning over someone else, but looking for something more plotty that's actually about Steph.
    The last one I read was on ff.net, about her journey in Africa but it hasn't updated in a while. I've only read the really old stuff on ao3. Got frustrated a while ago and stopped looking for Steph fic in her tag.

Not against romance if its well written and not just Steph fawning over someone else, but looking for something more plotty that's actually about Steph.
    The last one I read was on ff.net, about her journey in Africa but it hasn't updated in a while. I've only read the really old stuff on ao3. Got frustrated a while ago and stopped looking for Steph fic in her tag.
    She's in a few I've come across, but like I said before, she's paired up with Jason. The romance isn't front and center, but its there. Like "The Family Business" (mostly takes place from Babs' POV, but most of the core Bat Family is there in some aspect).

In another, though not Steph centric, its a whole different origin for the Bat family at large. Bruce still becomes Batman, and it is based in the old DCAU, but it expands on character inclusion from the wider Bat mythos. Its a long running series with 2 authors alternating. Biggest things about it? Alfred is dead, Bruce never took in Dick, Tim, or Jason, and it takes a LOT of inspiration from the comics. Steph is in it as Spoiler, and its early in her crime fighting career. Dick, Tim, Jason, Babs, etc are all still good guys, but its a different take on everything.

Amazing Member

I started reading the family business, but it's part of a series so I got kind I board when I didn't understand what was going on later and dropped it. Didn't have the patience to read the first part when there was no Steph.
    The second one sounds like a lot of fun, what's it called?
    Like I said before I don't mind if Stephs paired up with someone as long as she's not the lesser half of the relationship.

A series by ShadowMajin and AnonymousVoid. Mostly Batman centric, and it starts with The Ninth Circle in ShadowMajin's story. But if you want to skip to where Stephanie pops up, you want The Eighth Sin. Which also introduces Bane.

One of the best Steph AUs ever, A Different Game, an older but periodically updated series starring Steph as Red Hood: https://archiveofourown.org/series/322115

A fun twist on Batman Beyond, where an adult Steph meets a Tim who became the Joker (Return of the Joker), and needs healing: https://archiveofourown.org/works/96...pters/21879881

Some very angsty fic dealing with the fallout for Tim and Steph that DC never dealt with from War Games and Red Robin: https://archiveofourown.org/works/13...pters/32187309

A fun but also somewhat angsty look at Steph actually opening up about her pregnancy: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15568488

Are there any fanfics where an adult Stephanie encounters the baby she gave up for adoption?
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Are there any fanfics where an adult Stephanie encounters the baby she gave up for adoption?
    This is the closest I've ever found: https://archiveofourown.org/works/24...hapters/385066

It's actually Steph's daughter taking piano lessons from Steph's daughter she gave up for adoption. (This is a fic where Steph and Damian get married like 10 years in the future, based on the Batman 666 universe.) I love it.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    One of the best Steph AUs ever, A Different Game, an older but periodically updated series starring Steph as Red Hood: https://archiveofourown.org/series/322115

A fun twist on Batman Beyond, where an adult Steph meets a Tim who became the Joker (Return of the Joker), and needs healing: https://archiveofourown.org/works/96...pters/21879881

Some very angsty fic dealing with the fallout for Tim and Steph that DC never dealt with from War Games and Red Robin: https://archiveofourown.org/works/13...pters/32187309

A fun but also somewhat angsty look at Steph actually opening up about her pregnancy: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15568488
    Thanks. I've read most of the Hinn Raven stories already but I'm glad to be reminded of them and the others look really good too. I wish it were easier to find good Steph fics like these.