Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    His rebellious personality post-Coie wasn't precisely popular between fans.
    Honestly I think people exaggerate how rebellious he was, there are lots of comics were he is a really cute little kid.

The difference between Jason and Steph is, that the reason Jason criticizes Bruce methods make to some degree sense (even if the writers have avoided sofar stories that go in this direction), that Stephs not really.

Anyway...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Anyway...

I always wondered about this. Do you think she's dreaming about killing Abraham Lincoln, or she's telling Abraham Lincoln that someone else it trying to kill him and she has to save him?

Quote Originally Posted by Newnime View Post
    I always wondered about this. Do you think she's dreaming about killing Abraham Lincoln, or she's telling Abraham Lincoln that someone else it trying to kill him and she has to save him?
    Or, its Abraham Lincoln made up of waffles...

Amazing Member

Or it's Abraham Lincoln trying to ban waffles.

Or it's Abraham Lincoln trying to ban waffles.
    I'm not sure ol' Honest Abe would have wanted to ban waffles, unless maybe the Waffle House chain was contributing significant amounts of money to the Confederate army . . . but since that restaurant chain wasn't started until almost a century later, that's probably not it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Jason fans tell me that's not the case, at least for them. And the vote by all accounts was very close. And yes, it's not good for a lead character or supporting character to have only 49% popularity, but that's hardly universal hatred.

Though I do think there's a similarity between Jason as Robin and Steph as an outsider/critic of Batman, in how it affects their popularity.
    I don't mean the results of the vote. There are many factors that could put the balance to one side or the other (for example: someone indifferent to Jason may still not want him to die).

I mean the fact that DC put Jason in a vote for his death. That is proof that the character (a Robin) is not so popular, since you do not do that with a pretty popular Robin.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-22-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Amazing Member

I don't mean the results of the vote. There are many factors that could put the balance to one side or the other (for example: someone indifferent to Jason may still not want him to die).

I mean the fact that DC put Jason in a vote for his death. That is proof that the character (a Robin) is not so popular, since you do not do that with a pretty popular Robin.
    I heard it was a publicity stunt. The guy writing Batman at the time just didn't want Batman to have a sidekick, at all, and they thought it would make them sell more comics.
    But why are we discussing Jason on Steph's thread?

BFFs for life.

Also, poor Steph. But Cass really was just looking out for her. In her own way. Still, ouch.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I always thought she was mad at ol' Abe because she had to write a paper on him.

BFFs for life.

So cute!

Also, poor Steph. But Cass really was just looking out for her. In her own way. Still, ouch.

I really, really hate this issue. And it makes me even more infuriated that people think it's funny.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

I heard it was a publicity stunt. The guy writing Batman at the time just didn't want Batman to have a sidekick, at all, and they thought it would make them sell more comics.
    But why are we discussing Jason on Steph's thread?
    I read that it was because Jason was unpopular at that time, so they want retire the character. Maybe it's mixed of factors, but I don't think they would offer the option to kill a pretty popular character.

We mentioned Jason, because we were discussing how a character defiance on Batman (the most popular character of DC) can bring certain unpopularity on the character (especially if the character is a hero).

This is a situation that Stephanie was in Detective Comics by Tynion. Although there are other factors.

For example: Tynion did not want to make Batman look bad, so that affected the position of Stephanie too.

I read that it was because Jason was unpopular at that time, so they want retire the character. Maybe it's mixed of factors, but I don't think they would offer the option to kill a pretty popular character.

We mentioned Jason, because we were discussing how a character defiance on Batman (the most popular character of DC) can bring certain unpopularity on the character (especially if the character is a hero).

This is a situation that Stephanie was in Detective Comics by Tynion. Although there are other factors.

For example: Tynion did not want to make Batman look bad, so that affected the position of Stephanie too.
    Yup, that last was the key element that really hampered Tynion in making Steph more easily sympathetic. He didn't have Batman make obviously unfair moves, which makes Steph look really irrational. Which frustrated me, even though I think Tim's death makes it understandable.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Amazing Member

Oh, I see. They've killed popular characters before, and some people were really mad. DC had to fire the guy that wrote the issue after that, I read an interview, he was upset they put all the blame on him and they never did a vote thing again. It also happened when Frank Miller's dark night came out. Jason dying made that batman dark, lots of people wanted this batman dark too. Also people called just to see if DC will really do it. They only said Jason was unpopular after everything to cover them. I got this stuff from interviews, not sites like tumblr where people guess.
    I notice that a lot of the in-comic comparing Steph to Jason happened right before she died and he came back right after. Wonder what would have happened if the two stories interlapped more.

Oh, I see. They've killed popular characters before, and some people were really mad. DC had to fire the guy that wrote the issue after that, I read an interview, he was upset they put all the blame on him and they never did a vote thing again. It also happened when Frank Miller's dark night came out. Jason dying made that batman dark, lots of people wanted this batman dark too. Also people called just to see if DC will really do it. They only said Jason was unpopular after everything to cover them. I got this stuff from interviews, not sites like tumblr where people guess.
    I notice that a lot of the in-comic comparing Steph to Jason happened right before she died and he came back right after. Wonder what would have happened if the two stories interlapped more.
    I kind of wish Winick had highlighted the comparison as much as Gabrych heavy-handedly did. But DC wanted it swept under the rug, so after one page referencing and even showing Steph's death, nothing.