Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chickfighter View Post
    Those one-issue stories were awesome. The art of telling a complete story in one issue seems to be mostly lost at this point where it once was the norm. And when you say the storytelling was satisfying that is exactly right. Over the years the idea that storytelling should have a satisfying resolution has mostly been jettisoned in favor of edgy coolness and faux realism. I'll take a little idealism in my superhero comics any day. Steph Batgirl had that in purple spades.
    Very true. I think we do get a couple of one-shot stories every now and then, but it seems more like one per year, down from two or three per year. And sometimes only in an Annual.

There's also a sense that serialized storytelling is the only "real" or "respectable" storytelling. It's infected TV, too - all of the Netflix shows seem to be determined to copy 24, and everything has to be a 10-13 hour movie, when most stories really aren't that long. The Crown is an exception in being fantastic in it's episodic quality.

"Purple spades" - iconic!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Very true. I think we do get a couple of one-shot stories every now and then, but it seems more like one per year, down from two or three per year. And sometimes only in an Annual.
    And having it in an annual is sort of cheating if the story gets more pages than a regular single-issue comic book would allow.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And having it in an annual is sort of cheating if the story gets more pages than a regular single-issue comic book would allow.
    I think it's true that it sort of cheats. But I think something like what Tynion did in the Detective Comics Annual this year was really good, because it was a standalone story of Clayface's origin, but also directly tied into the "regular" storyline at the time. I prefer that kind of thing, or something like the Batgirl issue of Bruce Wayne: The Road Home, which ties into multiple storylines (what was going on in that miniseries, what was going on in Steph's Batgirl run, and ALSO was a standalone), to what I saw in the Superman Annual the first year of Rebirth, where it was something completely disconnected with the main storyline.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I think it's true that it sort of cheats. But I think something like what Tynion did in the Detective Comics Annual this year was really good, because it was a standalone story of Clayface's origin, but also directly tied into the "regular" storyline at the time. I prefer that kind of thing, or something like the Batgirl issue of Bruce Wayne: The Road Home, which ties into multiple storylines (what was going on in that miniseries, what was going on in Steph's Batgirl run, and ALSO was a standalone), to what I saw in the Superman Annual the first year of Rebirth, where it was something completely disconnected with the main storyline.
    However, sometimes it's good to allow stand-alone stories in the Annuals that aren't part 11 of a 15-part arc running through multiple books. Sometimes, the annual may be something people are willing to try if they don't want to buy a comic book where they have to then spend another $50+ in order to get the entire story.
    The annual may be more enticing a buy than, say, issue #38 of an on-going comic book since the lower issue number may appear a bit more "new reader" friendly. That's a major problem with on-going comic books these days: there seem to be fewer and fewer issues that openly invite people to try the book since it's not the middle of a longer multi-issue story.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    However, sometimes it's good to allow stand-alone stories in the Annuals that aren't part 11 of a 15-part arc running through multiple books. Sometimes, the annual may be something people are willing to try if they don't want to buy a comic book where they have to then spend another $50+ in order to get the entire story.
    The annual may be more enticing a buy than, say, issue #38 of an on-going comic book since the lower issue number may appear a bit more "new reader" friendly. That's a major problem with on-going comic books these days: there seem to be fewer and fewer issues that openly invite people to try the book since it's not the middle of a longer multi-issue story.
    I think a good standalone will be satisfying to the new reader, while still being additive to the overall plot of the ongoing series. That means you have to have a writer good at the A and B (and C) plotline structure, and seeding details and characters who are important later on.

However, I've said this everyone on this board: I started with an issue of Bruce Wayne: Murderer that was in the MIDDLE of a massive, confusing crossover. It was NOT a stand alone (though it did have its own internal setup and payoff for that issue). I had no clue who Sasha Bordeaux was. But I loved her after just that one issue. And I wanted to know more.

Good writing will do that. I think the real issue is not "the numbers are too high" or "serialization alone" (though I think the idea of serialization which also includes elements of episodic storytelling needs to become a more common skill) - it's market availability and pricing.

Amazing Member

Another month without Stephanie appearing in any solicitations, the wait is killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by juffuj5 View Post
    Another month without Stephanie appearing in any solicitations, the wait is killing me.
    I KNOW, RIGHT?

Arg.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Really nice. I WANT MOREEEEEE!

Amazing Member

Random thing, but what would you change about Spoilers costume? I'd change the eye color into yellow, I think yellow, black and any kind of purple work well together.

Quote Originally Posted by juffuj5 View Post
    Random thing, but what would you change about Spoilers costume? I'd change the eye color into yellow, I think yellow, black and any kind of purple work well together.
    I'd switch the full mask or the ninja mask into a domino.

I'd switch the full mask or the ninja mask into a domino.
    I think it would be too close to Huntress' costume :P

I usually hate ninjamasks but somehow it works for Steph.

I think it's okay, but I just like how Steph's face looks with a domino. It's the closest we'd have to the cowl for Batgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    It always is. Not a shock... (I'll see myself out )