Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Newnime View Post
    Because Bette was first, the others should all put hyphens in their names. But the Batgirls already did all their branding and they don't want to go through that again. Branding's important. Besides they didn't know Bette existed before they started up.
    I wonder what the state of Bette's history is, now. Because I couldn't figure out how much of Batman, Inc survived Flashpoint. And right before Flashpoint, Morrison re-worked continuity to include her as Bat-Girl again.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Amazing Member

Last I heard, I think she was headed off to join the army? My memory's a little fuzzy on her so I might be wrong.

Last I heard, I think she was headed off to join the army? My memory's a little fuzzy on her so I might be wrong.
    Oh, yes, that's her current status quo, but I don't know what her history is - is she still Flamebird? Hawkfire? Steph's magical best friend?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Amazing Member

She was flamebird, then hawkfire for sure, but I don't think DC will let her be the original Bat-Girl again. They're pushing Babs too hard for that.

She was flamebird, then hawkfire for sure, but I don't think DC will let her be the original Bat-Girl again. They're pushing Babs too hard for that.
    I feel like DC wants to keep things as hazy as possible. Which frustrates CERTAIN FANS who want certain character's times as Batgirl restored...

(cue people telling me that Steph doesn't need Robin or Batgirl, she's much better as Spoiler...)

Amazing Member

I do love Steph as Batgirl and Robin (that hair was iconic) But I'm one of the fans that likes the Spoiler look more, but I do like the history that comes with the other two because they are a big part of her character. It was great to see that history honoured in tec.

I do love Steph as Batgirl and Robin (that hair was iconic) But I'm one of the fans that likes the Spoiler look more, but I do like the history that comes with the other two because they are a big part of her character. It was great to see that history honoured in tec.
    Which Spoiler look/artist do you like best? The original Tom Lyle/Tom Grummett look? The later Pete Woods/Rick Mays look? Rafael Albuquerque's one awesome adventure with her? Dustin Nguyen's redesign, rendered by such artists as Jason Fabok, Andy Clark, Alvaro Martinez, Eddy Barrows, and Carmen Carnero?

It was amazing to see Steph's history honored. There were many exclamations and possibly some dust in my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    (cue people telling me that Steph doesn't need Robin or Batgirl, she's much better as Spoiler...)
    Will you give it a break?
    The way that DC has compressed/reworked their timeline, Steph was now introduced as Spoiler while Barbara was active as Batgirl. Time to move on and find the best ways possible so that Steph can shine without having to borrow a mantle that currently already belongs to somebody else! Let's just maximize Steph as Steph!

Amazing Member

I don't take all that much note of the artists tbh, I'm more there for the words, but I liked how she looked in those issues of rebirth tec where she was mad at Batman, with the full face mask instead of half one but I like both. The stripes on her sides are a cool callback to her Batgirl costume and she just looks like a cool purple ninja.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The way that DC has compressed/reworked their timeline, Steph was now introduced as Spoiler while Barbara was active as Batgirl. Time to move on and find the best ways possible so that Steph can shine without having to borrow a mantle that currently already belongs to somebody else! Let's just maximize Steph as Steph!
    I'll let it go when people stop telling me that my embracing Steph as Steph in Tynion's run is stupid. I spent all two years of that run being enthusiastic, making analysis and reviews and discussions trying to explain why I loved her. And all I get, even now, is "Steph sucked. Tynion hates her. He was trying to get the fans to hate her."

This is an argument I can't win. The majority of fandom art and fanfic of Steph currently produced is her as Batgirl. So I say "I'd like to have Steph back as Batgirl, and so would lots of Steph fans."

And people tell me "Stop that. Embrace Steph as Steph."

So I embrace Steph as Steph in the only things available: Batman Eternal, Catwoman, various guest appearances, and Detective Comics.

And people tell me, "Stop that. Tynion's Steph sucks. And those other appearances don't matter."

It's very frustrating.

I don't take all that much note of the artists tbh, I'm more there for the words, but I liked how she looked in those issues of rebirth tec where she was mad at Batman, with the full face mask instead of half one but I like both. The stripes on her sides are a cool callback to her Batgirl costume and she just looks like a cool purple ninja.
    Ah. The sort of blending of her Dustin Nguyen design from Batman Eternal with her classic full-face mask from her original look.

I agree - it's a nice homage to her history.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Can you accept that there are fans who like Stephanie as Batgirl and would like if she return to use the mantle of Batgirl.

The problem is that Steph as Steph doesn't call the attention of writers or fans (even if Stephanie as Spoiler has an important arc, she will probably for forgotten pretty fast).

In change, it's more difficult than Stephanie as Batgirl is forgotten for writers and fans.

Your problem with "borrow" the mantle is curioud, when this is pretty common of the Batfamily. It seems it will be two Robins soon.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-18-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Amazing Member

Steph as Spoiler fan works are hard to find, but it could help to actually make the demand for that known. Fan artists and writers are more likely to accept Steph as Spoiler requests than DC will be to make Steph Batgirl again if Spoiler were more popular it's more likely for her to come out of limbo than when Steph as Batgirl is popular, because that's a threat to the status quo.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I'll let it go when people stop telling me that my embracing Steph as Steph in Tynion's run is stupid. I spent all two years of that run being enthusiastic, making analysis and reviews and discussions trying to explain why I loved her. And all I get, even now, is "Steph sucked. Tynion hates her. He was trying to get the fans to hate her."

This is an argument I can't win. The majority of fandom art and fanfic of Steph currently produced is her as Batgirl. So I say "I'd like to have Steph back as Batgirl, and so would lots of Steph fans."

And people tell me "Stop that. Embrace Steph as Steph."

So I embrace Steph as Steph in the only things available: Batman Eternal, Catwoman, various guest appearances, and Detective Comics.

And people tell me, "Stop that. Tynion's Steph sucks. And those other appearances don't matter."

It's very frustrating.
    I should be honest that I was a little indifferent to Stephanie by Tynion in Detective Comics (I like her in Eternal). I don't hate her in this, but I feel worried about fans of her Batgirl run complained about her new role

Regarding supporting Steph as Steph/Spoiler. This can be for one of two reasons (or both reasons):

- People really like Steph as Spoiler, who seems to have been a relatively popular supporting character for Robin. So, they want to develop Spoiler in a more independent role.

- People don't want Stephanie interfere with Barbara as Batgirl. They can't even suggest that Barbara (a more popular character) can get a new identity, because she born being Batgirl, so she is the only one who "deserve" that identity. Although Cassandra also born for that identity, but she can't borrow that identity, because Barbara is the "original".

PS: I really like Barbara. She's a pretty interesting character.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-18-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Astonishing Member

Steph as Spoiler fan works are hard to find, but it could help to actually make the demand for that known. Fan artists and writers are more likely to accept Steph as Spoiler requests than DC will be to make Steph Batgirl again if Spoiler were more popular it's more likely for her to come out of limbo than when Steph as Batgirl is popular, because that's a threat to the status quo.
    That's the problem Spoiler mantle isn't popular. It's pretty difficult that Spoiler will become more popular, since the mantle doesn't attract the attention of writers (who are interested on more popular characters or their own creations).

At the moment, there will be two Robins, it could be a third. Or two Batgirls.

Amazing Member

If the two Robins thing goes through it's going to go a disaster. I peeked at the Tim and Damian threads and they're already angry over it.
    Comics are a medium where fans can make a difference on the material. The reason they erased Steph from the universe in the first place was because they wanted Babs as Batgirl both Steph and Cass were a threat to that. Embracing Steph as Spoiler would be better for her in the long run because DC wouldn't consider her as (toxic) the way they do Steph as Batgirl.
    If there's more Spoiler positivity people might use her more.