Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think you shouldn't have brought Renee Montoya into this discussion in the first place if you didn't really know that much about her.I also don't think we need to focus on such a vague concept as "core Bat family" since it is frequently subject to change. Just appreciate the extended idea of the Bat-family.
    I know more than enough about Renee. As I clarified, I was using shorthand that wasn't communicating - I didn't think she was on a team. But I really want to get away from this tangent, since it is eating Steph's thread.

I agree about the extended Batfamily. Obviously, as a fan of some of the more marginal characters, I am all about the bigger family. The idea of a "core" almost always comes with a desire to get rid of the non-core characters, so I am generally against emphasizing anything of the sort.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I agree about the extended Batfamily. Obviously, as a fan of some of the more marginal characters, I am all about the bigger family. The idea of a "core" almost always comes with a desire to get rid of the non-core characters, so I am generally against emphasizing anything of the sort.
    Yeah

Although "core" exists in the Batfamily, this is many times are used (by fans) against the extended Batfamily.

That said, DC and writers really focus its efforts on the "core" of the Batfamily (or they want their own characters to belong to the "core"). That's why Stephanie as Spoiler is so ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    DC and writers really focus its efforts on the "core" of the Batfamily (or they want their own characters to belong to the "core"). That's why Stephanie as Spoiler is so ignored.
    It's very true that oftentimes a character will be really pushed to the core very quickly. Sometimes, it works, as it did with Cass, who was immediately given Batgirl and her own Batcave. Sometimes it doesn't, as with Harper (even though I like her, I feel like Tynion and Snyder wanted us to think she was a core member, and she didn't fit in that slot for me).
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Astonishing Member

It's very true that oftentimes a character will be really pushed to the core very quickly. Sometimes, it works, as it did with Cass, who was immediately given Batgirl and her own Batcave. Sometimes it doesn't, as with Harper (even though I like her, I feel like Tynion and Snyder wanted us to think she was a core member, and she didn't fit in that slot for me).
    I would say that Cassandra was helped by the mantle of Batgirl, which is an identitity associated with the "core" of the Batfamily. Also, the previous Batgirl has a new role as Oracle.

In the case of Harper, the identity of Bluebird doesn't seem really connected to the "core". Also, some fans were angry that Harper was pushed to the "core", while Cassandra and Stephanie were forgotten for the Flashpoint.

I remember that even Stephanie has problems when she becomes Batgirl (becoming part of the "core") from Cassandra fans, because DC sent Cassandra to the limbo.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-26-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Ah, Steph. Makes her very own fanart.

Here is the animated version

I would say that Cassandra was helped by the mantle of Batgirl, which is an identitity associated with the "core" of the Batfamily. Also, the previous Batgirl has a new role as Oracle.

In the case of Harper, the identity of Bluebird doesn't seem really connected to the "core". Also, some fans were angry that Harper was pushed to the "core", while Cassandra and Stephanie were forgotten for the Flashpoint.

I remember that even Stephanie has problems when she becomes Batgirl (becoming part of the "core") from Cassandra fans, because DC sent Cassandra to the limbo.
    Yeah, leading to a lot of Cass fans not liking Steph very much, and a lot of Steph fans who only became aware of Steph through her Batgirl series not fully understanding the legacy of the cowl.

I think Batgirl starring Steph is one of the best titles ever written - no exaggeration - but I think that the way editorial handled Cass was almost the worst possible way to avoid the Batgirl wars we constantly get. (Just as the way they handled the n52 Robins was about the worst possible way to avoid the Robin wars, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Ah, Steph. Makes her very own fanart.

Dustin Nguyen is the bomb! To be fair, Steph only draws herself as Spoiler and a head as Batgirl - she's not self promoting very much.

Astonishing Member

It's unlikely, but if Stephanie appears in Young Justice, I would like she has the identity of Batgirl. It will be easier that she call the attention with that identity.

Also, it would have certain sense, she discovered she was Batgirl on "another life" in Detective Comics. So, she can use that identity for that reason.

There are two Robins in different comics, it could be two Batgirls in different comics.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-26-2018 at 10:11 PM.

It's unlikely, but if Stephanie appear in Young Justice, I would like she has the identity of Batgirl. It will be easier that she call the attention with that identity.

Also, it would have certain sense, she discovered she was Batgirl on "another life" in Detective Comics. So, she can use that identity for that reason.

There are two Robins in different comics, it could be two Batgirls in different comics.
    I'd be 100% in favor of this (and also Cass being Batgirl, too), seeing as I keep pumping for a League of THREE (TAKE NOTE: THREE - I'M NOT DELETING ANYONE) Batgirls. It's a logical arc (well, as logical as any other these days) from 980 to present.

But I'd be happy to see her as Spoiler (or Robin ) too.

Astonishing Member

But I'd be happy to see her as Spoiler (or Robin ) too.
    I would be happy to see Stephanie as Spoiler in Young Justice too. Although I fear that Stephanie as Spoiler could be quickly forgotten in a long list of heroes in Young Justice.

If the comic is Young Justice, her identity as Robin is extremely unlikely, since I really doubt it will be two Robins in the same group.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-26-2018 at 11:17 PM.

I would be happy to see Stephanie as Spoiler in Young Justice too. Although I fear that Stephanie as Spoiler could be quickly forgotten in a long list of heroes in Young Justice.

If the comic is Young Justice, her identity as Robin is extremely unlikely, since i really doubt it will be two Robins in the same group.
    We'll have to wait and see. And keep asking writers for Steph on twitter and at cons!

It's unlikely, but if Stephanie appears in Young Justice, I would like she has the identity of Batgirl. It will be easier that she call the attention with that identity.

Yeah, no reason why there can't be three Batgirls (Cass as well). DC already has six human Green Lanterns, three Flashes (still counting Wally here, the third one is Avery Ho of the Justice League of China), two each of Batman and Superman (also because of JLC), two Superboys (Conner and Jon), and two or three Wonder Women (Diana, the Chinese one, and possibly Donna, who called herself that recently in Titans), and Marvel has two Spider-Men, two Hawkeyes, two Falcons, two Hulks (She-Hulk and Banner - it would be three but Amadeus Cho became Brawn), and until recently, there was also two Iron Men, Captain Americas and Wolverines. Duplicated codenames are just a common thing nowadays.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, no reason why there can't be three Batgirls (Cass as well). DC already has six human Green Lanterns, three Flashes (still counting Wally here, the third one is Avery Ho of the Justice League of China), two each of Batman and Superman (also because of JLC) . . .
    But I don't know if Steph would want to move to China . . .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But I don't know if Steph would want to move to China . . .
    Well, Steph doesn't need to move to China. She can stay in Young Justice comic (like Tim). Maybe some short appearances on Gotham.

Well, Steph doesn't need to move to China. She can stay in Young Justice comic (like Tim). Maybe some short appearances on Gotham.
    You may want to see how Young Justice goes first before deciding if Steph should be there.
    (Just saying.)