Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Personally, I became willing to give the movie a chance from the moment Illyana kept her bangs.
    I was all in once I realized they were going for a more... grizzly vibe.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Personally, I became willing to give the movie a chance from the moment Illyana kept her bangs.
    Oh, I was always going to watch it. I just refused to let myself believe in it being any good.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I admit, I was quite impressed when the trailer popped up on Tumblr and I had a chance to watch it.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    ...that seems way more super villainous of a origin story than I ever imagined for nurse Ratched.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I hadn't considered the thematic parallels with Vaarsuvius until you pointed them out, that is an interesting point.

The key difference is that Vaarsuvius was motivated by ego, they could have taken the ignoble and safer option to save their family and their sacrifice would have been noble and everyone would have been saved but that wasn't consistent with their pursuit of ultimate power or how they think about problem solving. Vaarsuvius hated to feel like they weren't in control and the only other viable option presented to them required them surrender that control so they were always going to take the demonic pact.

Meanwhile Redcloak... well, Redcloak's mental state is much trickier to figure out. While Vaarsuvius was primarily led by egotism, Redcloak has been consistently treated like garbage, belittled, mocked and dismissed by both Xykon and even his own god as well as bunch of others. He is a person who is trying to make himself significant and help his community on a divine level but is constantly being reminded that he's not worthy, that he's not good enough, that his position is only secure as long as Xykon says it is or as long as his god thinks he can deliver on his promises. He's fluent in deception because that's how he controls his primary ally and he tends to assume that others are either working a similar angle or are being worked.

Durkon is perhaps the first person to approach him in good faith and treat him like someone worthy of respect in the whole series. The other Goblins look up to Redcloak but there's an element of self-loathing in there. Redcloak doesn't care about their approval, he wants the rest of the world to respect him and them. There's a kind of internalised prejudice against his own race because, while he's a leader of their community and has done more for them than anyone in history, he still doesn't feel like he has value until the gods themselves are brought low before him.

There's stubbornness to it but Redcloak is kind of a case study of how systemic racism, in the case of D&D literally a game system, can mess a person up. He has the chance to more solidly protect his people from influence both terrestrial and divine and a chance to help save the world and he can't accept it.

It's really good writing.
    Nice write up.

So Vaarsuvius made the wrong choice because they couldn't accept that the solution closest to their own ultimate goal was the lesser option on every sensible level, while Redcloak made the wrong choice because he's been conditioned into thinking that it (and he himself) isn't good enough. There is definitely some fertile ground there for some interesting interactions between the two.

Especially with how Vaarsuvius is from the highest of all fantasy races (athough, now exceedingly humbled), while Redcloak is just "another evil goblin".

Fantastic Member

Interesting look at one of the most influential characters that nobody knows about:

Extraordinary Member

Hadn't seen this trailer, and yeah film looks bonkers.

My interest in it has gone up with each new trailer. It just feels like one of the Pre-MCU super hero movies that just did their own weird experimental thing with the source material, which made them stand out from one another.

I mean, I love the MCU and most of its movies. But after 11 years of that same aesthetic I'm ready for my weird less homogenous super hero movies again.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Hadn't seen this trailer, and yeah film looks bonkers.

My interest in it has gone up with each new trailer. It just feels like one of the Pre-MCU super hero movies that just did their own weird experimental thing with the source material, which made them stand out from one another.

I mean, I love the MCU and most of its movies. But after 11 years of that same aesthetic I'm ready for my weird less homogenous super hero movies again.
    This has always been my position on DC and the Fox superhero movies. I haven't liked a great deal of their films that much but I think it's important for the genre to have some kind of competition and diversity of vision outside of the Marvel homogenity.

I have been sick to death of Marvel since like... Guardians of the Galaxy 1? That was the first one that left me feeling like "Man, **** this," It was like a switch was tripped or I reached some kind of internal capacity of how much of that particular pervasive house style I could take and I just stopped enjoying them. I even went as far as effectively banning them from my film podcast once we saw Endgame because boy I was done.

I want superhero media to be more diverse in the kinds of stories they can tell. Like, have characters we like and recognise but put them into interesting situations. New Mutants looks very horror-esq which is neat! I have quiet hopes for the alleged Vision/Wanda thing that's coming up. I long for DC to dip into their very weird and strange bag of characters and come out with some really out there stuff. Sandman, Swamp Thing, Flex Mentallo, Doom Patrol (with an actual budget behind it).

Let's get some diversity of ideas in there! Marvel just about allowed it with Black Panther and Thor Ragnarok (kinda) but I want them to go further.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    I've spent literal years dreading the coming of The New Mutants, predicting terrible things to happen to my favourite Marvel character.

Now that we're less than a month away from its (hopefully) final release date and the (hopefully) last trailer was released, I take it all back. I'm all-in. Illyana swordfights a spirit bear the size of a house in Limbo with visuals that look like the cover of a heavy metal album, this can only be the greatest Marvel-related adaptation of all time.
    I've heard that this is supposed to be the last installment to the X-Men series. Which is ridiculous as we still don't know wtf happened to everyone prior to Logan.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I've heard that this is supposed to be the last installment to the X-Men series. Which is ridiculous as we still don't know wtf happened to everyone prior to Logan.
    As I recall, Logan was an entirely separate continuity to the other Fox films.

Also, it's pretty much confirmed in the film that Xavier killed them all with one of his seizures.

Also, also, Fox don't own the film rights to the X-men any more so they don't get to make any more stuff beyond finishing Dark Phoenix and New Mutants anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    It has nothing to do with timelines, it's the last film made before Marvel got the rights back from Fox. So presumably now there will be a new series made to fit into the MCU.

I have a job interview tomorrow. Turns out one of the higher ups is my old supervisor and he highly recommended me.