Page 838 of 2453 FirstFirst ... 33873878882883483583683783883984084184284888893813381838 ... LastLast
Results 12,556 to 12,570 of 36787

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    Man Tyson Fury put on a rather epic performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Sadly I didn’t watch it, but it sounds like he completely schooled Wilder.

I’ve thought for a while that he’d win, and I don’t think AJ can beat him either.
    Yeah dude it was bad.

AJ should fair a bit better because he’s not as limited as Wilder but see him losing too.
    So Wilder now claims that Fury didn’t hurt him but the reason he lost was that his ring entrance costume was too heavy so his legs were tired.

I mean... wow. Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

So Wilder now claims that Fury didn’t hurt him but the reason he lost was that his ring entrance costume was too heavy so his legs were tired.

Ohmygod...gaslighting to cover up one's losses when they happen in a professional sport? In front of everyone?

That's a new low. A new sad, pathetic low. Dude must have an ego the size of the planet, and self-confidence the size of a peanut.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Seriously? I know it must such to get beat down like that but take your loss like a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Ohmygod...gaslighting to cover up one's losses when they happen in a professional sport? In front of everyone?

That's a new low. A new sad, pathetic low. Dude must have an ego the size of the planet, and self-confidence the size of a peanut.
    Seriously? I know it must such to get beat down like that but take your loss like a man.
    My thoughts exactly.

Oh, and ‘despite what it looked like I was still in the fight’ so he’s mad at his corner for throwing in the towel, because he’s told them never to do that. The guy was beat and dead on his feet. Were his corner just supposed to let him die?

Dude, while I get the drift that expression is out of style. And for a solid number of reasons. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Dude, while I get the drift that expression is out of style. And for a solid number of reasons. ^_^
    Oh yeah? How so?

Oh, and ‘despite what it looked like I was still in the fight’ so he’s mad at his corner for throwing in the towel, because he’s told them never to do that. The guy was beat and dead on his feet. Were his corner just supposed to let him die?
    Basically "I was still in the fight because I was capable of praying I'd get lucky and, defying the evidence of everything that happened before this point and the fact that I was exhausted and hurt, I might KO him with one punch."

Soooo...yeah. Whiner x 10.
    Why are we here?

My thoughts exactly.

I can understand wanting to go out on your shield but his corner did the right thing.

Eh, there are plenty of great aspects of masculinity that have no social toxicity or thin-skinned tendencies inherent to them. Being able to take a hit/loss and not bullshit about it is one of them.

Oh yeah? How so?
    Okay --

1. It implies that it's 'not-men' who whine and complain and are poor losers. And women are one of that 'Not-man' group (I understand, it might also imply 'you're being a child', but really, we should say 'like an adult' if that's the case, especially since there is no 'take your loss like a woman' phrase that's meant in any way positively towards women...every statement I hear men say about 'loss' and 'woman' tends to be a negative one);
    2. In my experience, an awful lot of men tend to be poor losers.

So.... ^_^ I just think it might be better to replace the phrase with something like...'take your loss like an adult'.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    He, there are plenty of great aspects of masculinity that have no social toxicity or thin-skinned tendencies inherent to them. Being able to take a hit is one of them.
    I think that's inherent to adulthood, not masculinity. Women suffer loss in silence or in good grace AT LEAST as well as men tend to.

Edit: It should be noted that I'm talking about 'taking losses of some kind', not 'taking a punch in the face'. Men -- being on average larger, bigger boned, and carrying more muscle mass -- TEND to have the capacity to take hits better than a woman does, on a purely physical basis. ^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 02-25-2020 at 06:23 AM.
    Why are we here?

Okay --

1. It implies that it's 'not-men' who whine and complain and are poor losers. And women are one of that 'Not-man' group (I understand, it might also imply 'you're being a child', but really, we should say 'like an adult' if that's the case, especially since there is no 'take your loss like a woman' phrase that's meant in any way positively towards women...every statement I hear men say about 'loss' and 'woman' tends to be a negative one);
    2. In my experience, an awful lot of men tend to be poor losers.

So.... ^_^ I just think it might be better to replace the phrase with something like...'take your loss like an adult'.
    Be a man or man up is something that I’ve heard men and women say. It has nothing to do with looking down on women.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Be a man or man up is something that I’ve heard men and women say. It has nothing to do with looking down on women.
    You might not mean it in that way but it's a phrase that's not rooted in a good or healthy perspective. It also reinforces the notion in other contexts that men, by definition, cannot show emotions other than stoicism or rage.

Being a man is three dimensional, there is no true masculine archetype and trying to cleave to such a thing only creates tension, exclusion and, in the worst cases, bigotry.

Personally, I continue to remove overly gendered expressions from my vocabulary. I also got a lot of non binary friends so I'm doubly motivated to not indulge in language of that type.

Not saying you were looking down on women, yourself. I'm saying the phrase can be taken as sexist, and it doesn't matter if a woman says it, the implication can be there.

Also, I don't particularly feel it's accurate, myself. ^_^

Also, this isn't a 'Hey, FistofIron, how DARE you use such speech, get out!' discussion. It's a 'I'm don't think that's a good phrase anymore' kind of thing.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    You might not mean it in that way but it's a phrase that's not rooted in a good or healthy perspective. It also reinforces the notion in other contexts that men, by definition, cannot show emotions other than stoicism or rage.

Being a man is three dimensional, there is no true masculine archetype and trying to cleave to such a thing only creates tension, exclusion and, in the worst cases, bigotry.

Personally, I continue to remove overly gendered expressions from my vocabulary. I also got a lot of non binary friends so I'm doubly motivated to not indulge in language of that type.
    Nik, as usual, has an even more nuanced explanation. Well-said.
    Why are we here?