Page 340 of 2452 FirstFirst ... 2402903303363373383393403413423433443503904408401340 ... LastLast
Results 5,086 to 5,100 of 36769
    Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    that's nothing. you should hear the stories my folks tell. they grew up in the 60s, in the south. nuff said.
    Oh most definitely. I'm almost positive that my grandad has plenty of stories from back then, even though he doesn't talk about that time.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

me and my friend were heading to the store to make dinner for his girlfriend. we had taken this route almost every day and the clerks all knew who we were. then some cops flashed their lights at us and stopped us. they said they were looking for a robbery suspect and when my friend asked for his description, one of them said "he looked like you". keep in mind, we dress like fuckin' nerds. hell, i was wearing crocs, just for moments like this. now i was trying to keep cool and answer his questions, because here in america, a black man can get taken in/killed for no real reason. but what they didn't know was my friend was ex-NYPD. in fact, he was on duty during 9/11. so needless to say, he knew enough about police procedure to know what the deal was. so after running our IDs and seeing we both had no priors and/or warrants, they let us go.
    that's nothing. you should hear the stories my folks tell. they grew up in the 60s, in the south. nuff said.
    Gyaaa...

I mean, I hear stories like this and it's bad enough. I can't imagine LIVING that fear.

And that's one of the many things that suck about this: that I cannot truly imagine living it (I can try, but that's all) because I don't have that frame of reference; that's how bad the disparity is.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Gyaaa...

I mean, I hear stories like this and it's bad enough. I can't imagine LIVING that fear.

And that's one of the many things that suck about this: that I cannot truly imagine living it (I can try, but that's all) because I don't have that frame of reference; that's how bad the disparity is.
    the only reason this kind of **** is more well known is due to social media and smart phones. it's been going on for decades. people just don't want to believe it.

in fact, i had to talk my dad into taking his air gun to work with him. because i don't want him getting shot and killed over nothing and then the media dragging his name through the mud.

Reminds me of a Chris Rock skit of how not to have the police act you, as a black man

Want to know something more messed up? The hate of the black
    Man is not just the south ( It is part of the lore due to events, but it’s bs really. I only hate people due to actions, not race. ( mentioning that as a white guy from the South. ) And also fact my blood is not hundred percent white.)

But here in New York, in this cracker infested suburban environment I am currently living

The only black family around are from Haiti, good honest people, neighbors talk to their face with divinity. But when they are not around? These people are racist against anything non white, like literally nothing other than white or they bitch about it. ( Given the urbs were made just for white people and zoning laws, makes sense.)

Also remembering when my uncle Chris ( Korean American, married my Aunt Carla hence uncle status.)

When he was in cop train sim he got nervous and shot the digital person in car situation. They gave him a pass despite target not being aggrsssive or bad, the excuse was the holo target/whatever was, Yeah a black guy.

Hell me growing up black kids started **** with me, but I have black friends, which is why I do not hate race. People cannot choose what they are born into, just their actions.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Of course they aren't and of course it was racist. And he didn't actually harm anyone. Literally someone saying the n word right now would do more harm than what Liam Neeson did.

And to be clear, I know that people would be upset. But people get upset at stuff that doesn't need to matter all the time.

Like, the US Democrats had a Senator in recent years who was literally a former KKK member and then condemned his own actions.
    So when you said "I don't see why people are outraged," what you meant to say was "I do understand why they are outraged but they shouldn't be because there are worse things in the world,"

That seems like a weirdly specific complaint to me.

I mean, it's perfectly possible to be upset about people saying the n word, former members of the KKK being in political office and Liam Neeson wanting get into fights with specifically black people all at that the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Reminds me of a Chris Rock skit of how not to have the police act you, as a black man

Want to know something more messed up? The hate of the black
    Man is not just the south ( It is part of the lore due to events, but it’s bs really. I only hate people due to actions, not race. ( mentioning that as a white guy from the South. ) And also fact my blood is not hundred percent white.)

But here in New York, in this cracker infested suburban environment I am currently living

The only black family around are from Haiti, good honest people, neighbors talk to their face with divinity. But when they are not around? These people are racist against anything non white, like literally nothing other than white or they bitch about it. ( Given the urbs were made just for white people and zoning laws, makes sense.)

Also remembering when my uncle Chris ( Korean American, married my Aunt Carla hence uncle status.)

When he was in cop train sim he got nervous and shot the digital person in car situation. They gave him a pass despite target not being aggrsssive or bad, the excuse was the holo target/whatever was, Yeah a black guy.

Hell me growing up black kids started **** with me, but I have black friends, which is why I do not hate race. People cannot choose what they are born into, just their actions.
    i know it's everywhere. i'm just saying that just growing up black in the south is enough to tell ya how bad it was for my folks.

I cant appreciate how it is in the US. I grew up here in Canada and we have our own issues but my neighbourhood is very diverse

the only reason this kind of **** is more well known is due to social media and smart phones. it's been going on for decades. people just don't want to believe it.
    I heard of stuff like this when I was young. Word got around. Culture was different, in many ways, and nobody really CARED, which was awful, even back then. Hate and hate crimes, and injustice...these are nothing new, sadly. Misogyny, racism, homophobia, etc.... I remember when Major's Hill Park was a place where gay people went to hang out, only they risked getting beaten by dudes with baseball bats who would go to the park with that idea. This was when I was a kid, 40 years ago. Cops often turned a blind eye to it.

All this hate has been going on -- everywhere, in every way -- for a loooong time. And like you say, things were worse back in 'the good old days' (good old days for who, exactly?).

But it's still going on. Which is mindnumbingly dumb. And sad. Edit: dammit, I forgot evil.

Humanity. I swear, if some enlightened alien civilization ever comes to see us, they'll leave without announcing themselves and set up big signs at the edge of the solar system that read 'DO NOT VISIT, THESE PEOPLE ARE INSANE'.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    I cant appreciate how it is in the US. I grew up here in Canada and we have our own issues but my neighbourhood is very diverse
    Things are, I suppose, better here in Canada. Especially now. But we DO have problems -- it's just 'less', and possibly more subtle.

...and possibly worse now, thanks to a lot of the way things are going in the world. Dammit, Ford...
    Why are we here?

My uncle passed away today in hospital. He always had severe learning difficulties (his mother had rubella while she was pregnant with him, and at the time nobody knew the connection), and he lived in a care home in the same city as me. As the only member of the family who lives anywhere near him (let alone in the same city), I’ve been pretty close to him, and I’ve had to go in to the hospital this afternoon to pick up his things and say goodbye to him.

I think it’s the first time I’ve seen a dead body (which I realise is probably unusual at my rapidly-advancing age).

Damn, that was hard.

Especially because his brother, my Dad, will almost certainly also go this year. My uncle’s Parkinson’s was much more advanced than my Dad’s, but Dad’s dementia and Alzheimer’s are way further along the road. And the rate of decline is accelerating.

I've been prepared for this not to be a good year, but... ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I heard of stuff like this when I was young. Word got around. Culture was different, in many ways, and nobody really CARED, which was awful, even back then. Hate and hate crimes, and injustice...these are nothing new, sadly. Misogyny, racism, homophobia, etc.... I remember when Major's Hill Park was a place where gay people went to hang out, only they risked getting beaten by dudes with baseball bats who would go to the park with that idea. This was when I was a kid, 40 years ago. Cops often turned a blind eye to it.

All this hate has been going on -- everywhere, in every way -- for a loooong time. And like you say, things were worse back in 'the good old days' (good old days for who, exactly?).

But it's still going on. Which is mindnumbingly dumb. And sad. Edit: dammit, I forgot evil.

Humanity. I swear, if some enlightened alien civilization ever comes to see us, they'll leave without announcing themselves and set up big signs at the edge of the solar system that read 'DO NOT VISIT, THESE PEOPLE ARE INSANE'.
    one of the big stories that made the rounds down here in texas was how a black man was shot and killed in his own home by a off duty cop who went into the wrong house.

and then they tried to spin it to make it seem like the guy was to blame.

aliens, please don't come here. we are a very fucked up species.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    My uncle passed away today in hospital. He always had severe learning difficulties (his mother had rubella while she was pregnant with him, and at the time nobody knew the connection), and he lived in a care home in the same city as me. As the only member of the family who lives anywhere near him (let alone in the same city), I’ve been pretty close to him, and I’ve had to go in to the hospital this afternoon to pick up his things and say goodbye to him.

I think it’s the first time I’ve seen a dead body (which I realise is probably unusual at my rapidly-advancing age).

Damn, that was hard.

Especially because his brother, my Dad, will almost certainly also go this year. My uncle’s Parkinson’s was much more advanced than my Dad’s, but Dad’s dementia and Alzheimer’s are way further along the road. And the rate of decline is accelerating.

Damn, sorry to hear that Beadle. You and your family have my condolences
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Damn, that was hard.

that sucks, man. i'm so sorry.

Damn, that was hard.

Really sorry to hear, Beadle. For all of that - your uncle, your father... Jeez.

Take care of yourself, please.
    Why are we here?

one of the big stories that made the rounds down here in texas was how a black man was shot and killed in his own home by a off duty cop who went into the wrong house.

and then they tried to spin it to make it seem like the guy was to blame.

aliens, please don't come here. we are a very fucked up species.
    I've heard quite a few stories of a similar sort over the years. One of them - recently - was one in an apartment. Maybe the same one.

Ugly stuff.
    Why are we here?