Page 651 of 2439 FirstFirst ... 15155160164164764864965065165265365465566170175111511651 ... LastLast
Results 9,751 to 9,765 of 36575
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    I asked after googling a bunch if screenshots, and yes I do label what I've seen because that's what I see. There's no depth, his nose has disappeared, his cheek shades are squiggles, his hair and face shape look subtly off.

And if you are unable to address my question without getting in my face like right now, then do not.
    The issue is that you called the Animation bad despite not having seen any of the animation

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    The issue is that you called the Animation bad despite not having seen any of the animation
    I doubt it. If it were, then me readily conceding that I used the word "animation" in error would have resolved the matter. Yet that's exactly what I did, and Nik decided to tear me down harder. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I'm not going to be a doormat.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I asked after googling a bunch if screenshots, and yes I do label what I've seen because that's what I see. There's no depth, his nose has disappeared, his cheek shades are squiggles, his hair and face shape look subtly off.

And if you are unable to address my question without getting in my face like right now, then do not.
    If you try and tell if animation is good or not by looking at screencaps rather than just watching clips, I'm not sure how to address your question without pointing out how bad a method for assessing animation that is. Animation doesn't prioritise looking good in individual frames, it prioritises how things flow and how they work in motion. To discover whether you think animation is enjoyable/pleasing for you to look at or of a high quality (two things that are very different I'll note) then you should watch it in motion.

What you're actually saying in the above quote is that the screenshot you posted doesn't have high contrast shading like the counterexample you posted and his design elements have shifted a little with the new style. Neither of those things are grounds for calling the art (much less the animation) bad to me.

So to recap; conceding that you used the term animation in error, you asked "Did the art get worse?"

I responded with "No, it's good and is arguably better than it's been previously," and gave you a bunch of examples of it being good, a thing that seems blindingly obvious to me because I am familiar with the animation /in motion/

I apologise if you feel got at but your question seemed quite ridiculous and, to me, built on a bad foundation.

To be clear, something being of good quality is not grounds for it being mandatory to like it.

The art style for Sun and Moon is distinctly different from previous iterations of Pokemon as a show and I can quite understand not liking that shift but that is not the same thing as it being objectively bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    If you try and tell if animation is good or not by looking at screencaps rather than just watching clips, I'm not sure how to address your question without pointing out how bad a method for assessing animation that is. Animation doesn't prioritise looking good in individual frames, it prioritises how things flow and how they work in motion. To discover whether you think animation is enjoyable/pleasing for you to look at or of a high quality (two things that are very different I'll note) then you should watch it in motion.

What you're actually saying in the above quote is that the screenshot you posted doesn't have high contrast shading like the counterexample you posted and his design elements have shifted a little with the new style. Neither of those things are grounds for calling the art (much less the animation) bad to me.

So to recap; you asked "Did the art get worse?"

I responded with "No, it's good and is arguably better than it's been previously," and gave you a bunch of examples of it being good, a thing that seems blindingly obvious to me because I am familiar with the animation /in motion/

I apologise if you feel got at but your question seemed quite ridiculous and, to me, built on a bad foundation.
    Thank you! I'm not an animator myself. It's perfectly plausible and even likely that what I voice is going to sound ridiculous to an artist just as some of the ways I talk about cars would sound ridiculous to a mechanic or engineer.

I suspect a lot of what people call "bad" would to you be simply a different art style. And not liking the art style would be no basis for saying it's bad. If so, that perspective would seem to me to emphasize the expressive nature of art, and taking its logic further it would be impossible for art to be bad so long as the result was what the artist was going for.

From what I can see having watched a bit of the clips, saying the art is bad is also wrong. Ash himself looks bad to me. The other characters look simply designed but perfectly fine. But Ash looks 2-dimensional to me.

I erred when I lumped art with animation due to not having any interest in watching clips of it. However, Ash does look terribly drawn, as does Pikachu.

Attachment 87128
    Words aside, based on these images, I really don't like the way Ash and Pikkachu are drawn in the second image. Ash looks like he has a mustache. A Snidely Whiplash mustache.

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

If so, that perspective would seem to me to emphasize the expressive nature of art, and taking its logic further it would be impossible for art to be bad so long as the result was what the artist was going for.
    I'm heading to bed but just wanted to address this point in brief. This isn't aimed at you specifically Falcon, it's a broader point.

It's almost like "good" and "bad" are inherently limiting and super binary terms that aren't actually that useful in the serious discussion of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Words aside, based on these images, I really don't like the way Ash and Pikkachu are drawn in the second image. Ash looks like he has a mustache. A Snidely Whiplash mustache.

It feels like I've looking at a roughly Ash-shaped head with stickers pasted on. Which feels even more out of place because Misty and Brock remain perfectly recognizable.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I have to agree.

Ash and Pikachu both look...odd. The animation style is fine, but the art put into those two seems weird.

Might just be me being used to the older style of course. But it’s just those two that seem off to me.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by mcgaffer View Post
    Ash won?!? I've got to have been on some strong stuff even for me last night!!!

I'm not doing too badly at all. In fact I'm doing brilliantly, gotten engaged, bought a house together really loving and enjoying life at the moment. Don't have time like I used to for a lot of things but it's for the very best of reasons.

Apparently some people I know are a little nervous about my stag do next year. I would have thought that my reputation goes before me and people would expect a laid back, calm, gentlemanly affair!
    Congrats and welcome back.

I must say I’m digging this current Baki arc.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    The more I see of this game the more convinced I am that I'm totally gonna buy it.

It just looks fun.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    As a person who's only on his third Tales-game, I like the look of this.

Interesting choice to go for such a different graphical style. The gameplay looks super nice though.

One Punch Man Ch. 116: Saitama and Flashy Flash continue running around the Monster Association Underground, while Nyan bitches out and quits the Monster Association. He then attacks the heroes outside with plans to kill the kid they rescued.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis