Page 1634 of 1653 FirstFirst ... 63411341534158416241630163116321633163416351636163716381644 ... LastLast
Results 24,496 to 24,510 of 24786
  1. #24496
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    A lot of people on Twitter are also expecting Chris Pratt to fall flat as far as doing an Italian accent. Then again, he might surprise everyone.

    Here is some interesting trivia. The last nae Pratt apparently comes from Anglo-Saxon meaning Trickster or Joker. Seems to fit him pretty well.
    Clown or slapstick bumps are also called ‘pratfalls’ for that reason. And ‘prat’ is a bit of an (outdated) insult in the UK (it was still heavily in use in the 80s).

  2. #24497
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Well, you know a Mario movie couldn't possibly sell itself, especially not to children, if you didn't slap popular celebrity names on the poster.

    I mean, just think of all the money they could have saved on celebrity budgets while still giving professional voice actors a Big Movie Budget payout. That would just be criminal.
    Remember, this is the industry that paid Vin Diesel to not sound like Vin Diesel and essentially just say “I am Groot.” (with the occasional “We are Groot.”).

  3. #24498
    Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Remember, this is the industry that paid Vin Diesel to not sound like Vin Diesel and essentially just say “I am Groot.” (with the occasional “We are Groot.”).
    See, it makes a bit more sense for me if a live-action movie with a ton of celebrity actors has the occasional animated character voiced by another celebrity actor.

    A fully animated movie, though, it'd be nice to see the usual Saturday Morning Cartoon Crew getting some spotlight.

    Ah, well, I'm not saying normal actors can't do a decent VA job, it just reeks of cynical marketing sometimes.

  4. #24499
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,834

    Default

    Every generation, one of more actors became the It actor, the one that has the name recognition and that every director wants them in their movie or project.

    Chris Pratt has the enviable or unenviable position of being on the short list of go to actors this time around.

    For example, in the 1980's, Harrison Ford was in that list, as well as Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Sigourney Weaver.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

  5. #24500
    Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,830

    Default

    I'm just reminded of a Billy West interview from a while back, where he points out that he did voices for several of the Looney Tunes in Space Jam, and yet, the poster says "Starring Michael Jordan and Bugs Bunny". Like, I get why, that's the joke of the movie, and Bugs is an iconic character who's had multiple voices, but still, he points out, that his name isn't anywhere in the promotion, and he and the other VAs didn't even get invited to the big debut showing at the main theater, despite voicing most of the major characters of the film who weren't Michael Jordan.

  6. #24501
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    8,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    I'm just reminded of a Billy West interview from a while back, where he points out that he did voices for several of the Looney Tunes in Space Jam, and yet, the poster says "Starring Michael Jordan and Bugs Bunny". Like, I get why, that's the joke of the movie, and Bugs is an iconic character who's had multiple voices, but still, he points out, that his name isn't anywhere in the promotion, and he and the other VAs didn't even get invited to the big debut showing at the main theater, despite voicing most of the major characters of the film who weren't Michael Jordan.
    Stunt casting in animation has become way more prevalent.

    I had an long and drawn out argument with my friend who wrote part of his PhD on the concept while I was helping him edit his thesis because, back in like 2014, it wasn't nearly so aggressive and I felt his examples didn't bear out.

    Nowadays, oof, he was completely right about it.

    Sucks that proper, actually very talented, voice actors don't get recognition and lose work to flavour of the month type actors who don't know how to do voice work with anywhere near the level of skill they employ.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  7. #24502
    Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Stunt casting in animation has become way more prevalent.

    I had an long and drawn out argument with my friend who wrote part of his PhD on the concept while I was helping him edit his thesis because, back in like 2014, it wasn't nearly so aggressive and I felt his examples didn't bear out.

    Nowadays, oof, he was completely right about it.

    Sucks that proper, actually very talented, voice actors don't get recognition and lose work to flavour of the month type actors who don't know how to do voice work with anywhere near the level of skill they employ.
    Yeah. PhD on voice casting? What was his field of study?

  8. #24503
    Give me your SOUL! The Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Darkest recesses of my mind
    Posts
    3,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Why? What about IKWYDLS screamed "we need to remake this forgettable late 90s slasher made in the short boom period that resulted after Scream's success"?
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

  9. #24504
    Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Why? What about IKWYDLS screamed "we need to remake this forgettable late 90s slasher made in the short boom period that resulted after Scream's success"?
    It's a title from 20 years ago that people remember, that's all they need.

  10. #24505
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    8,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Yeah. PhD on voice casting? What was his field of study?
    Media and Film Studies.

    You can see his thesis here if you're interested. The topic was on the globalisation of Studio Ghibli and it's interplay with Disney as its global distributor which included looking at the process around how dub casts are put together in the West.

    Looking at the date of publication, I think our big argument about Star Vehicle Theory was in late 2016 rather than 2014. Time is indeed a flat circle.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  11. #24506
    JUST DO IT?!?! Postmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,611
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

  12. #24507
    Reborn Samurai Len Ikari145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Right behind you.
    Posts
    4,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Why? What about IKWYDLS screamed "we need to remake this forgettable late 90s slasher made in the short boom period that resulted after Scream's success"?
    The lead chick spinning around and saying---

    ?
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

    Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

  13. #24508
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    20,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    How else you think the Spartans were so dangerous?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

    Arxiros "Arx" Inosaan | Inanna

  14. #24509

  15. #24510
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Well it's not like they could get the Captain. He's been dead for a while now.
    ...I'm going to assume the Captain was the dude from that 80s Mario show I barely remember from the reruns in kindergarten in the early 90s?
    I'm just saying there's voice actors who can actually change their voice well enough to do a decent Mario impression. I've seen and heard nothing to suggest Pratt will do anything other than sound like he always sounds (the Lego Movie didn't really have him change it up).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •