The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    If anything I feel like Canadians would be begging people in the US to stop being so horrible, lol.
    Canada is in no place to be pointing fingers...

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The ad makes no sense to me, I can't figure out exactly what it is about. But if I see it again non TV I'll try and tape it, then investigate it.
    Sounds more and more like a political stunt based on not a whole lot of truth.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Canada is in no place to be pointing fingers...

Sounds more and more like a political stunt based on not a whole lot of truth.
    Okay, I got some info. The ads are sponsored by The Partnership to Fight Chronic Disease. Here is a link to the ad and some info.

I'm still very skeptical.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Seeing your doctor coming at you surfing on a giant needle flying through the air at high speed would be horrifying.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

You can get the jab or Dr. Tao can use his tongue.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Ah Tao's new job as a dinosaur veterinarian
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Never would have thought I'd wanted this but damn if it doesn't look really good

To Infinity AND BEYOND!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Never would have thought I'd wanted this but damn if it doesn't look really good
    I had the opposite reaction to be honest. Well, not opposite. It just left me very confused.

I don't get who this is for...? Like it genuinely baffles me that this exists at all. Like, it's got no formal relation to the Toy Story franchise, it's got a completely different tone and aesthetic to what Buzz Lightyear - in the setting of Toy Story the fictional universe - was based on, it's got no Tim Allen and the character is completely removed from the version of Buzz that audiences actually know so there's no real link there either.

It doesn't even tie in with the shortlived Buzz Lightyear of Star Command tv show which was meant to be the thing the toy was kind of based on.

It is literally a film built and founded on the notion of recognisable iconography rather than an actual property.

The Pixar team have obviously put a lot of work and polish into it but I am just conceptually completely stumped by how this came to be. I'm sure it will make a bunch of money and will be... i don't know... perfectly fine? But I am so shaken that this exists, it's almost like a parody of what we would expect from Disney.

Okay, so, first there was a movie about toys. Then there were toys in the stores based on the toys in the movies.

What this is, is a (Movie? Series?) based on the toy which was based on another movies.

It's not all that far off from other toy/movie franchises except that it is kind of backwards???

TBH, I really like the animation and the it looks very interesting.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

According to a piece from Variety:

However, “Lightyear” doesn’t follow the toy-sized, space-faring exploits of Tim Allen’s iconic character. Rather, the 2022 film introduces the “real-life” human astronaut whose adventures inspired the toy line seen in the “Toy Story” franchise.
    I'm not so pedantic to nitpick at the deepest lore of Toy Story, but at the same time I kinda hate how that's now a thing.

Andy lives in a world with faster than light travel. I didn't need to know this and I reject it vehemently.

The suits in marketing played themselves in greenlighting something this safe with the brand recognition. Imagine if they made something new?

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Okay, so, first there was a movie about toys. Then there were toys in the stores based on the toys in the movies.

What this is, is a (Movie? Series?) based on the toy which was based on another movies.

It's not all that far off from other toy/movie franchises except that it is kind of backwards???

TBH, I really like the animation and the it looks very interesting.
    According to Disney, the movie is a prequel to the Toy Story franchise and the definitive origin story about the real Buzz Lightyear, whose fame - due to his exploits in space - would later inspire the creation of the Buzz Lightyear show/toy brand within said-universe. It's a neat concept IMO. And the creators stated that Tim Allen isn't voicing this Buzz because they consider the toy and the person he's based upon to be two separate people.

EDIT: Dammit, I was ninja-ed by GrampaGen!
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Imagine if they made something new?
    Disney make something without a pre-existing level of mindshare?

Couldn't be them.