nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Speaking of which, the latest Daredevil has a fantastic scene with Spider-man that references stuff that happened in the somewhat good, somewhat bad Spider-man versus Wolverine (from waaaaay back). It actually notes that the trauma of what happened in that one-off has stayed with Peter for years.

I liked it.
    ditto. very nice to see matt and peter patching things up. i'm liking this run so far.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    it was good at the start but it started sliding downwards during part 2.
    Particularly when the... I wouldn't call it "power creep", more like a "power surge" hit, and it went from feeling like Naruto to being Dragon Ball Z-lite with everyone calling themselves ninja.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Particularly when the... I wouldn't call it "power creep", more like a "power surge" hit, and it went from feeling like Naruto to being Dragon Ball Z-lite with everyone calling themselves ninja.
    and i prefer less DBZ in my ninja manga, thank you very much.

*Bleep!*ing Diabolical!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

batman 101 dropped.

batman is basically broke after the joker war. the city is changing and he needs to change with it.

running a special promotion.

from now until sunday, my book is free to download.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GMY4GHF

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    *Bleep!*ing Diabolical!
    Sif vs Captain Marvel probably wouldn't be as exciting as it seems on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Sif vs Captain Marvel probably wouldn't be as exciting as it seems on the surface.
    well, sif will have bill in her corner. ;P

spoilers:

If Billy Butcher was a Teenage Anime Girl.
    end of spoilers
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

spoilers:

If Billy Butcher was a Teenage Anime Girl.
    end of spoilers
    Ah, yes, I remember this story of asspullery.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Yeah. DBZ ninjas, does not make sense. Ninjas, supposed to have “stealth” and such.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    My issue with the Ohsutsuki being the focus is that it doubles down and ties itself to what I would consider one of the worst bits of the original Naruto series - the whole introduction of Kaguya and the revelation that Naruto and Sasuke are reincarnated god people.

That sucked. It was really out of nowhere, undermined Madara as a perfectly serviceable final boss and largely invalidated the earlier themes of hard work being more important than talent. Naruto and Sasuke aren't able to fight Kaguya because of their cultivated abilities, it all came down to new powers they just spontaneously manifested. I didn't like the Ohsutsuki because they were emblematic of this "magical destiny special one," narrative which I thought was bad. And now Boruto is like "Let me tell you more about these stupid god people who are actually aliens,"

Boruto does have some kind of interesting themes, sort of. But, it's less cohesive than the original ever was, even at it's lowest ebb. I can't pretend I've really engaged with it very much because it just doesn't seem very compelling.
    Yeah, that's also something of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I thought that too about the Sage of Six Paths power up, but after rereading it a few years back I realized that the whole two brothers thing was much less of a special birth power up than it initially looked. I realized that Indura and Ashura weren't things that Naruto and Sasuke were born with, those things attached to the two of them because of the wy their character developed. It's actually possible to tell the exact point that happened at too, it was in the Five Kage Summit arc.

With that in mind, the power ups feel much more earned. They didn't get them because of destiny
    They weren't born with the power ups, those were handed out by the time travelling super ghost of exposition that was Hagamoro. But they were the reincarnations of Hagamoro's kids, destined to be in conflict with one another until somebody broke the cycle.

And even without that Kaguya came largely out of nowhere, replaced a much more compelling villain and was generally just a blob of evil that didn't really match the series' themes up to that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I never got into Naruto, and hearing this doesn't push me in that direction. ^_^
    For my money, Naruto is generally really good. I always thought that the second half was an uneven roller coaster rather than a steady decline, and though I didn't quite like the large lore dump at the end I'd say that Kishimoto did a good job with the final final battle of the series and the last few chapters.

And I for one enjoyed the stuff that came out after the main series ended but before Boruto's series started (The Last, the Gaiden story that focused on Sarada and Boruto's movie).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Yeah, that's also something of an issue.

They weren't born with the power ups, those were handed out by the time travelling super ghost of exposition that was Hagamoro. But they were the reincarnations of Hagamoro's kids, destined to be in conflict with one another until somebody broke the cycle.
    I disagree with calling those powers hand outs. They were earned, they were simply earned via character developement rather than training