The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Don't give up Gen!

It's not the originality that makes a story good, it's the execution of that idea and the way you use that concepts.

Write it anyway, even if you don't put it out, it'll be good to explore the ideas.

The short comic I'm working on at the moment (which I will put out this year, BELIEVE IT) is literally "Psychic Force 2012 with a bit of Final Fantasy VII in there mixed with X/1999," It specifically is not clever or original but it's fun to write and a good test bed for my workflows of making a larger comic in the future.

Originality is way overrated.
    Agreed with the above. REGARDLESS of whether or not it has been done, it will have your own spin on it. And it may evolve in a different direction as it is written.

Fiction is derivative. Can't get away from that; even if one doesn't have any inspirations, there's a guarantee someone will be able to find something, somewhere, that 'did it before'. But that thing won't be YOURS.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Agreed with the above. REGARDLESS of whether or not it has been done, it will have your own spin on it. And it may evolve in a different direction as it is written.

Fiction is derivative. Can't get away from that; even if one doesn't have any inspirations, there's a guarantee someone will be able to find something, somewhere, that 'did it before'. But that thing won't be YOURS.
    Lately there have been works of fiction (novels) that incorporate Climate Change in various ways. I've seen not just Science Fiction, but also Mystery/Detective stories. Even with something liek that, it's still not an Original idea, though it might be an original approach to a idea that will soon become overused.

I've had the same concerns as gen when I try to write, it's hard not to think about it.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Lately there have been works of fiction (novels) that incorporate Climate Change in various ways. I've seen not just Science Fiction, but also Mystery/Detective stories. Even with something liek that, it's still not an Original idea, though it might be an original approach to a idea that will soon become overused.
    It's part of our world, now. Our experience. Including it is a good idea. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Yeah, don’t give up Gen! All stories have similar elements to previous stories, that’s just an inescapable fact. It’s how you TELL the story that makes it worthwhile. Like Nik said, the story is inherently different because it’s YOU telling the story.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

My ride into town. Never seen the sun quite like that before.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Damn, the guy playing Midnight Man in Moon Knight has been killed at age 37 before the series is even released.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Damn, the guy playing Midnight Man in Moon Knight has been killed at age 37 before the series is even released.
    And his death was from such a random thing. He suffered a TBI from skiing into another person.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Been reading through some of the older threads. It's amusing to see that every thread about Trigon ends up with the exact same thing happening, to the point where people start commenting on it a few posts in.

Like Len, here.*

* I chose this one because for a change I wasn't part of the Trigon Trolling.
    Why are we here?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Btw, if you guys want a manga series that is best described as "Baki but goofier and more patently ridiculous," I would invite you to check out Tokyo Duel.

It's very silly but quite fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Btw, if you guys want a manga series that is best described as "Baki but goofier and more patently ridiculous," I would invite you to check out Tokyo Duel.

It's very silly but quite fun.
    ...okay, I'm in. Beats watching people getting chewed to death. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Huh, a lot of rewriting and redoing old works had me looking at my characters high school life so far.

Year one: delinquency warfare, betrayal, and a will they won't they romance that sorta went crazy along the way.

Year two: screwball comedy where ex-delinquents find themselves doing really dumb stuff but it's relatively light hearted.

...How bout that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post

My ride into town. Never seen the sun quite like that before.
    That is an amazing image!
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!