yeah just saw that, it's depressing

Darth Kitty!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    For what’s it’s worth, and without burning another PM, I think you’re right. NLF. There’s virtually no fluff.
    Happy to hear my opinion isn’t crazy-making!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

I have once again survived another year on this planet!

Join me for celebrations and non-alcoholic libations!

...that is to say that it's my birthday today. Gonna eat some lunch with the family and then play board games with my friends. Yeay me.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Not really a fan of the latest redraw in One Punch Man. Nerfs Orochi, the Serious Move kind of doesn't make any sense and we're definitely committing harder to the whole '"God" is the final boss thing' which I think is one of the weakest parts of the OPM redraw.

Makes it more generic which is not what the series is strong for. You look ahead at where the webcomic is and it's actually quite politically-based at the moment and this god nonsense isn't a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post

...that is to say that it's my birthday today. Gonna eat some lunch with the family and then play board games with my friends. Yeay me.
    Happy Scandi-Birthday, DS7! Have a great one.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Happy birthday!

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Happy Birthday DS!
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

And I have my second jab lads, juice club maximum.

Thank you for the gift Dark Soul, very generous of you on your birthday!

As long as it makes you happy, enjoy. It's your day, Happy Birthday!
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    And I have my second jab lads, juice club maximum.
    Welcome to the 72+% club, buddy.

Happy Birthday, DS.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Very satisfying chapter of Kengan Omega this week.

Your bullshit assassin magic stuff is no match for solid MMA fundamentals and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Not really a fan of the latest redraw in One Punch Man. Nerfs Orochi, the Serious Move kind of doesn't make any sense and we're definitely committing harder to the whole '"God" is the final boss thing' which I think is one of the weakest parts of the OPM redraw.

Makes it more generic which is not what the series is strong for. You look ahead at where the webcomic is and it's actually quite politically-based at the moment and this god nonsense isn't a factor.
    Honestly, it depends on how ONE and Murata handle it. There are already speculations that the supposed "final battle" between Saitama and God will be more about Saitama having self-revelations regarding his goal to find purpose or enjoyment by being pushed to his limits, which would make for interesting character development for him.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Honestly, it depends on how ONE and Murata handle it. There are already speculations that the supposed "final battle" between Saitama and God will be more about Saitama having self-revelations regarding his goal to find purpose or enjoyment by being pushed to his limits, which would make for interesting character development for him.
    I've got faith that ONE can do a good job with it. The final arc of Mob Psycho 100 pulled out almost every stop possible and landed really well in terms of the emotional impact and overall character arc for Mob, so I trust him as a writer.

But...

Eh.

Mob Psycho was a very different beast to what OPM is. Saitama is much less of a protagonist than Mob was and has a much less pronounced arc in terms of his development as a character. The balance between this really very well-constructed world, that is made up of every other character, and their relationship to Saitama as motive force is really well done, especially in the current webcomic arc.

So... what does God add to this conceptually? Like, either he's going to actually test Saitama which means everyone else is irrelevant anyway or he gets killed in one shot like everything else in which case why do all this additional build. In the latter case it's got stakes but I don't know if it has tension, if you get what I mean?

Like I say; I've got faith but the way they seem to be trying to cue up all this God stuff much more aggressively than the webcomic, and having Blast being doing secret magic cube stuff in the background, I worry that it's committing to hard to trying to get the story to fully turn around Saitama eventually and that isn't what makes the series good.

I appreciate this is a very workshopped response but it's where I'm at in my thoughts on the series. XD