The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Stuff
    Falcon! Good to see you.

Amusing story - Nik has a multiversal RPG starting up. Some people have brought back old characters from games here on the board.

I'm using a character you might know. Sort of - she/they have been through a lot since stepping out of reality.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I see Sharp trying to recruit

On an unrelated note I've been playing a fair amount of the Marvel Midnight Suns game.

The gameplay loop on "non-story" mode is pretty good I think. You do a mission, bullshit with people around you on a sort of half-assed slice of life thing where you build relationships as the game goes on.

This aspect of the game almost completely falls apart when the game tries to do *anything* more than this because the characterization/dialogue is basically MCU level but even less mature/focused.

People referenced the game feeling like Mass Effect, but I think this is more on there not being any Mass Effect type content in recent memory aside from Andromeda lol. As it stands the game is like a sort of tactical/semi-ME/card-game mess of systems. Andromeda with potentially equally fun characters to bullshit between story stuff, but considerably worse characters/writing whenever it tries to do anything beyond high school heroes after school beat up thugs things. It's pretty uneven. Characters feel like they're written by multiple different agents sometimes from dialogue line to dialogue line and it's just a mess as story stuff pushes against non-story joking around stuff/sidequests.

As a result I've just been playing the auto-generated missions and hanging out in home base a bit. But now the story is basically kind of taking over so I'll have to move that plot forward soon.

Also the game really pushes the relationship system but you can't actually get into a special relationship with anybody (not romantically or even on a sort of best friend level). So the game incentivizes you to just try and become everyone's best friend but it can't really be recognized having a preference for any one person. Let me date Magik damnit.
    Last edited by Postmania; 12-13-2022 at 09:40 AM.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I see Sharp trying to recruit
    I don't think Falcon would play - it's just that his character and mine were potentially involved in the old game (but left before anything was resolved). Point of interest for him, maybe (and I plan on quoting his character in Krys's posts).

The gameplay loop on "non-story" mode is pretty good I think. You do a mission, bullshit with people around you on a sort of half-assed slice of life thing where you build relationships as the game goes on.

This aspect of the game almost completely falls apart when the game tries to do *anything* more than this because the characterization/dialogue is basically MCU level but even less mature/focused.

People referenced the game feeling like Mass Effect, but I think this is more on there not being any Mass Effect type content in recent memory aside from Andromeda lol. As it stands the game is like a sort of tactical/semi-ME/card-game mess of systems. Andromeda with potentially equally fun characters to bullshit between story stuff, but considerably worse characters/writing whenever it tries to do anything beyond high school heroes after school beat up thugs things. It's pretty uneven. Characters feel like they're written by multiple different agents sometimes from dialogue line to dialogue line and it's just a mess as story stuff pushes against non-story joking around stuff/sidequests.

As a result I've just been playing the auto-generated missions and hanging out in home base a bit. But now the story is basically kind of taking over so I'll have to move that plot forward soon.

Also the game really pushes the relationship system but you can't actually get into a special relationship with anybody (not romantically or even on a sort of best friend level). So the game incentivizes you to just try and become everyone's best friend but it can't really be recognized having a preference for any one person. Let me date Magik damnit.
    Ooof. That's not great.

Yeah, Mass Effect/Dragon Age were basically peak games for that kind of thing, and (especially with the surge toward 'open world' games and MMO's) that has gone downhill of late.

I'm hopeful for DA:4 and ME:4/5 (whatever you want to call it), but you never know, especially after the direction of Andromeda (and, to a slightly lesser extent, Inquisition).
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 12-13-2022 at 12:26 PM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    it's [spoil] for spoiler tags btw
    Thanks Nik!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Falcon! Good to see you.

Amusing story - Nik has a multiversal RPG starting up. Some people have brought back old characters from games here on the board.

I'm using a character you might know. Sort of - she/they have been through a lot since stepping out of reality.
    Oooh, nice! A real pity that old RPG didn't quite work out. I really enjoyed the small amount of time we had in it.

I was trying to power through the Dragon Ball RPG despite having too many other priorities on my time nowadays but ultimately my argument with Cthulu burned out whatever remaining spark I had and I couldn't keep up with the posting rate anyways. I won't lie, the itch is there to join and do Ashley justice. But it's more than I can handle at this stage in my life. I hope you're having fun with it though!

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Falcon! Good to see you, hoss.

——————

I just finished Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 on Sunday. Man, I really really dislike the bad guys in this game. First one was fine, but it got real irritating kicking their butts in battle only for the cut scene to show my guys exhausted and the bad guys still pretty much a-okay or ‘hiding their true power’.

My dude, I just beat you like you stole something in three rounds, say what?

The last ten hours or so are rife with this and one of the antagonists, Crow, is reacted to like he was the party’s best friend in the world despite the fact that I barely used him, attending only one bonding event, and he helped start a civil war and tried to murder someone (and technically others).

It’s….just not written well. Power of forgiveness and friendship is fine, but dang they played that to the hilt in this one.
    Last edited by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade; 12-13-2022 at 05:18 PM.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Oooh, nice! A real pity that old RPG didn't quite work out. I really enjoyed the small amount of time we had in it.
    I did enjoy the RP, indeed.

I was trying to power through the Dragon Ball RPG despite having too many other priorities on my time nowadays but ultimately my argument with Cthulu burned out whatever remaining spark I had and I couldn't keep up with the posting rate anyways. I won't lie, the itch is there to join and do Ashley justice. But it's more than I can handle at this stage in my life. I hope you're having fun with it though!
    No worries, completely understand. Sorry to hear about the DB Rpg. I'm hoping that - because of the people we have in this one - it'll be a slower pace.

I might be quoting a lot of Ashley in the game (frankly, wasn't expecting you to show up! And these will be actual quotes, from Ashley, from Codex), and I MIGHT write a post with her in it for a final post in the game, if it comes to an end. ^_^

And she kind of shows up - in a way - in my first post (already mostly written for game-start, just not posted yet).

Hopefully that's okay. Don't want to steal your character (and it will only be for brief comment in first post, potentially a little bit in final post, if we ever reach that, or an epilogue if we don't).

Good to see you sticking your nose in here.
    Why are we here?

I did enjoy the RP, indeed.

No worries, completely understand. Sorry to hear about the DB Rpg. I'm hoping that - because of the people we have in this one - it'll be a slower pace.

I might be quoting a lot of Ashley in the game (frankly, wasn't expecting you to show up! And these will be actual quotes, from Ashley, from Codex), and I MIGHT write a post with her in it for a final post in the game, if it comes to an end. ^_^

And she kind of shows up - in a way - in my first post (already mostly written for game-start, just not posted yet).

Hopefully that's okay. Don't want to steal your character (and it will only be for brief comment in first post, potentially a little bit in final post, if we ever reach that, or an epilogue if we don't).

Good to see you sticking your nose in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Falcon! Good to see you, hoss.

——————

I just finished Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 on Sunday. Man, I really really dislike the bad guys in this game. First one was fine, but it got real irritating kicking their butts in battle only for the cut scene to show my guys exhausted and the bad guys still pretty much a-okay or ‘hiding their true power’.

My dude, I just beat you like you stole something in three rounds, say what?

The last ten hours or so are rife with this and one of the antagonists, Crow, is reacted to like he was the party’s best friend in the world despite the fact that I barely used him, attending only one bonding event, and he helped start a civil war and tried to murder someone (and technically others).

It’s….just not written well. Power of forgiveness and friendship is fine, but dang they played that to the hilt in this one.
    Good to see you too, Cleric!

I trust you Sharp! Ashley's not my intellectual property. If she can add a little joy to your experience, I'm very happy for that to happen.

Good stuff - and thank you.

Will see about getting some closure for these characters.

Hope all is well with you.
    Why are we here?

I am now wondering if there’s some benefit to Krys wearing Death’s Leather Jacket.
    Why are we here?

I am now wondering if there’s some benefit to Krys wearing Death’s Leather Jacket.
    In my experience wearing the clothing of one's significant other is not uncommon. XD

Good stuff - and thank you.

Will see about getting some closure for these characters.

Hope all is well with you.
    It's been tumultuous but things are looking hopeful. I've had four trials and not lost any of them. Won cases in federal district court would normally be considered impossible to win, won a case in federal appellate court that's been adopted as the law nationwide. Partners at my firm fell out with each other, one of them died. Removed myself from the situation for a number of different reasons, those being just part of it. But I have my general work authorization card now and can work where I want. I've had a couple of very promising interviews to do with civil rights law and civil litigation, and am hoping one of them is a path to my new long-term job.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

In my experience wearing the clothing of one's significant other is not uncommon. XD

It's been tumultuous but things are looking hopeful. I've had four trials and not lost any of them. Won cases in federal district court would normally be considered impossible to win, won a case in federal appellate court that's been adopted as the law nationwide. Partners at my firm fell out with each other, one of them died. Removed myself from the situation for a number of different reasons, those being just part of it. But I have my general work authorization card now and can work where I want. I've had a couple of very promising interviews to do with civil rights law and civil litigation, and am hoping one of them is a path to my new long-term job.
    That’s awesome hoss!
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Krys married Death in a previous RPG? Jane feels conflicted
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Yin was single at the end of SHR: Rebuild what are you talking about.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Well that's up to Sharp. Romantically entangled might also be the state of things. Who knows.

Also, this picture reminded me of Garon, Miburo's character from a different RPG (that admittedly does not use spell sloots in its system):

FB_IMG_1670993655465.jpg