Page 840 of 2439 FirstFirst ... 34074079083083683783883984084184284384485089094013401840 ... LastLast
Results 12,586 to 12,600 of 36575
    Extraordinary Member

Idle thought tangentially related to the "Be a man" conversation: In the olden times, Man was actually a gender neutral term. A girl became a woman, and a boy became a werman, but all were men. This is were the term werewolf comes from. It meant man-wolf.

The reason why we now think of Man as refering to males specifically is because of sexism. More often than not, when people wrote or spoke about the exploits of men, they were speaking about males because women were excluded from those notable pursuits, and so linguistic drift cause man to come to mean Male.

After I learned this, I have often thought that if I ever write a fantasy series, I'd use the term Werman. See if I can get it back in the popular consciousness

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Idle thought tangentially related to the "Be a man" conversation: In the olden times, Man was actually a gender neutral term. A girl became a woman, and a boy became a werman, but all were men. This is were the term werewolf comes from. It meant man-wolf.

The reason why we now think of Man as refering to males specifically is because of sexism. More often than not, when people wrote or spoke about the exploits of men, they were speaking about males because women were excluded from those notable pursuits, and so linguistic drift cause man to come to mean Male.

After I learned this, I have often thought that if I ever write a fantasy series, I'd use the term Werman. See if I can get it back in the popular consciousness
    Very true. Technically, for example, by definition, ‘his’ is a gender-neutral word.

Nevertheless, the relevance of this argument is reduced hugely by the popular current usage of the terms in question. You can argue all day long that ‘gay’ means ‘happy’, but the more prevalent definition now is entirely different.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

I still like it for "Brightly colored".
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Very true. Technically, for example, by definition, ‘his’ is a gender-neutral word.

Nevertheless, the relevance of this argument is reduced hugely by the popular current usage of the terms in question. You can argue all day long that ‘gay’ means ‘happy’, but the more prevalent definition now is entirely different.
    I was just sharing some trivia while It was related to the current topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    So Wilder now claims that Fury didn’t hurt him but the reason he lost was that his ring entrance costume was too heavy so his legs were tired.

I mean... wow. Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt.

"It weighed 40 lbs with the helmet and all the batteries."

...40 lbs took away his legs, not getting blasted in the face and jaw.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post

"It weighed 40 lbs with the helmet and all the batteries."

...40 lbs took away his legs, not getting blasted in the face and jaw.
    If he couldn't fight like a Dark Souls boss, then he had no business coming out dressed as one.

Interesting. I once upon a time entertained the notion of writing a book set in a fictional universe where everyone was referred to as a man. Some men had wombs, and while pregnant or the primary caretaker of a child would be known as a woman. So gender would be even more obviously a social construct, and one based entirely on affairs and products of the womb. Someone might be physically and mentally male, have a big beard and bulging muscles, but if they were someone in charge of raising a child then he'd be a woman until that child came of age.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Interesting. I once upon a time entertained the notion of writing a book set in a fictional universe where everyone was referred to as a man. Some men had wombs, and while pregnant or the primary caretaker of a child would be known as a woman. So gender would be even more obviously a social construct, and one based entirely on affairs and products of the womb. Someone might be physically and mentally male, have a big beard and bulging muscles, but if they were someone in charge of raising a child then he'd be a woman until that child came of age.
    You may wish to look into the book Ancillary Justice and its sequels. I can't recall the author offhand but they have entirely gender neutral society that uses female pronouns.

The first book is very good, I'd highly recommend it.

EDIT: It's by Ann Leckie
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 02-25-2020 at 04:15 PM.

I was just sharing some trivia while It was related to the current topic.
    And it was good! I wasn’t criticising - just continuing!

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

So apparently Wilder fired his trainer for throwing in the towel.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    So apparently Wilder fired his trainer for throwing in the towel.
    I guess he'd rather get his brains turned into scrambled eggs than give up.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    I guess he'd rather get his brains turned into scrambled eggs than give up.
    That’s what it’s sounding like.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    ‘Man up’ and ‘be a man about it’ are interesting phrases.

I have four sisters, all have kids (one niece has kids too). All use both phrases for their kids. From what I understand, from them it’s not about wanting them to be the old arch type of no emotion, tough, “men” but to start acting like an adult, or stop complaining when given a task.

Now, I have also heard it used in the toxic, older style, too (at work and other places).

They both seem to be phrases that change with the intent behind them, like many, many words and phrases.
    I agree with this. Intent and context is everything.

I was reading all the stuff that they had planned for 2011 Thundercats. Such a shame that we won’t get to see it.