My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

A ghost from the past. Fervidor's Avatar

So I decided to re-read Homestuck for, I think, the fourth time? Fifth? Anyway, it took something like three weeks. I still like it, though I did skip some stuff I didn't feel was that relevant to the story, like most of the stuff to do with the troll ancestors and a few few chatlogs that ran too long. It's really not the tightest narrative I've come across, honestly. Still, good times. The ending is still amazing.

Then I decided to read the "epilogues" and... I kinda don't think Andrew Hussie actually knows what an epilogue is? Put it like this, the epilogues have a prologue.

I think that sorta sums it up, but to be more specific: These "epilogues" are two fairly major short stories (set in alternate universes, yet connected) that sets up a whole new main conflict, introduces drastic changes to the lives of the characters, and both end on cliffhangers promising a very epic and dramatic continuation. So, like, they don't really do a good job of wrapping the story up, is what I'm saying. If anything they seem to be the start of a pretty considerable sequel.

Also, they kinda read like fanfiction. Not bad fanfiction, mind you. Hussie is a fairly decent writer, his somewhat inaccessible style notwithstanding. More like there's this tonal dissonance, like these short stories are an interpretation by an author who couldn't really grasp the feel of the original story. Homestuck did get sorta serious on occasion and the epilogues do share some of it's humor, but still, they struck me as sorta dark and mature by comparison. I'm not sure I'd be a fan of the series of it'd read like this from the start.

So, yeah, I'm not sure what happened here. Maybe it's leading up to something awesome - the epilogues do strike me as unfinished - but currently I kinda wish I'd skipped them. Homestuck seems to me as the sort of work that really should have ended when it actually ended.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson.

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck.

My Forum check it out

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

I feel some great cosmic joke has happened onto me.

The assholes running the apartment will fix the leak.

The issue is going to take 2 weeks of no bath room, so getting kicked out of my own place basically until they fix their ****. Not getting charged though.

That sucks, but at least it’s being fixed, dude.

In other news, every episode of The Boys that I watch forces me to again question whether Karl Urban has ever actually heard a British person speak. Then I remember he knows people like Simon Pegg and Benedict Cumberbatch from Star Trek, and my head explodes.

He almost makes Dick Van Dyke seem like he has a credible British accent. For the first half of Season 1, I thought Billy the Butcher was a badly-delivered Aussie character.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    In other news, every episode of The Boys that I watch forces me to again question whether Karl Urban has ever actually heard a British person speak. Then I remember he knows people like Simon Pegg and Benedict Cumberbatch from Star Trek, and my head explodes.

He almost makes Dick Van Dyke seem like he has a credible British accent. For the first half of Season 1, I thought Billy the Butcher was a badly-delivered Aussie character.
    I will say it's a testament to the writing and his acting that the accent, ridiculous and bad as it is, doesn't actually distract me too much.

But also, it's not just Urban. His aunt had a weird accent in the show as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I will say it's a testament to the writing and his acting that the accent, ridiculous and bad as it is, doesn't actually distract me too much.

But also, it's not just Urban. His aunt had a weird accent in the show as well.
    Oh, I agree about the writing and his acting. I’m still enjoying the series.

His aunt’s accent was bad, and his mum’s is also pretty bad (weird, given that she’s a British actor), but his dad’s is bloody atrocious.

Maybe Boys-verse Britain is an entirely different place.

Extraordinary Member

Some ******* attacked Rick Moranis

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Some ******* attacked Rick Moranis
    I saw it on Twitter.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Yeah, I saw that Rick Moranis thing when I woke up.

Hope they find the arsehole that did it.

My Forum check it out

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

...Wow, so much time spent on my job I forgot about this place.

Yep. He's still got it.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

MoR got banned, anyone know why?

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    MoR got banned, anyone know why?
    His profile doesn't say he's been banned.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!