Hajime no Ippo 1343:

After the Richard Bison fight, I'm pleasantly surprised at the current momentum of Takamura's match with Keith Dragon. Even though the last chapter's established this is a new threshold for him, the fact that it's not a squash match is nice.

So far it's not quite on the level of Bryan Hawk or David Eagle, naturally, but there are some neat variable to consider.

spoilers:
    Keith Dragon's 'Luck' gimmick aside, I'm wondering if Takamura's damaged retina he's been keeping quiet and only Miyata's had the chance to notice will become open knowledge to the rest of the Kamogawa crew.
    end of spoilers

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

new ep of "the bad batch".

spoilers:
    CAD BANE IS BACK, MOTHERUFUCKERS!!
    end of spoilers

Playing Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. It is a gorgeous and amazing game. I'm playing it in Performance RT mode and it still looks drop-dead gorgeous.
    Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 06-21-2021 at 05:14 AM.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

So, editing out crankiness about Baki. ^_^ 'Cause Nik makes a valid point.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-21-2021 at 10:22 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Reading Baki-Dou, I have no idea why.

One sumo wrestler is 195 cm and 161 kg.

Another is "> 210 cm and > 250 kg."

And the writer has people freaking out because the larger guy is, and I quote, "[The big guy] is still an order of magnitude - no, more than two orders of magnitude larger than [the smaller guy]!"

Now, I know that it just says '> 210 cm' and '> 250 kg', so one might argue that 'hey, maybe the guy IS two orders of magnitude larger, it doesn't say!'

But the art puts him like....30 cm taller at most.

So that certainly doesn't make him 1950 cm (64') tall or 1610 kg (1.5 tons) in mass. <- One order of magnitude larger, depending if we're going by height or mass.

It most certainly doesn't make him hundreds of feet tall or fifteen tons of mass. <- two orders of magnitude larger, again by height or mass.

Maaaan, sometimes Baki isn't just horribly written, it's dumb.
    I mean, at this point, I kind of feel it's not Baki's fault that it isn't what you want. It's never tried to be.

The series has literally never been smart or accurate or really all that sane. What were you expecting?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I mean, at this point, I kind of feel it's not Baki's fault that it isn't what you want. It's never tried to be.

The series has literally never been smart or accurate or really all that sane. What were you expecting?
    You make a very good point. I'm the guy putting myself through this. ^_^

I just read it out of a morbid desire to see what weirdness will happen next, so that's on me.

Edit: shouldn't have said 'horrible written'. Maybe 'bizarrely written' would be more appropriate.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I just read it out of a morbid desire to see what weirdness will happen next, so that's on me.

Edit: shouldn't have said 'horrible written'. Maybe 'bizarrely written' would be more appropriate.
    Haha, I definitely enjoy Baki on some level.

(Edit: Wanted just the phrase but jump to 0:23 for the full effect)

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Haha, I definitely enjoy Baki on some level.
    Which, right there, is a solid reason for me not to come in here and crap all over Baki. ^_^

...also, there's me reading it, morbid curiosity or not.

(Edit: Wanted just the phrase but jump to 0:23 for the full effect)

Need to find an audio file of just that. ^_^
    Why are we here?

I left Baki after the supposed "final battle" between he and his father because after that, what's the point in continuing when said-confrontation was what the entire series was building up to? Following that, Everything else is just filler IMO.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

played two runs of "shadows of brimstone" with my wandering samurai. both times, i lost. first time, i didn't run into any enemies. then for the final encounter, i had to fight 5 ninjas and 3 goddamn onis. needless to say, my samurai got wrecked. after this second lost, i need some help.

so how does this sound: my samurai facing ninjas..........with a wild west lawman.

Extraordinary Member

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    And chapter 316 and 317 can be best summed up as:

spoilers:
    316:

Lady Nagant: Everyone was right about you Izuku.

Izuku: I'm such a nice guy protag I think everyone deserves a redemption arc, even you Overhaul.

All Might: Even All For One?

Izuku:... No, not All for One. Because he's not a person. He's just an embodiment of evil that exists to be my final opponent and so that I can redeem the more sympathetic major villain they've been using the entire time. Like Kaguya Otsutsuki from Naruto, only with more build-up and wasn't shoehorned in.

All for One: I honestly can't believe that lady believed that I wasn't lying to and using her! Doesn't she know that I'm just an embodiment of evil that exists to be Deku's final opponent and so he can redeem Tomura? What an idiot!

317:

Endeavor: Hey, remember Death Arms? He quit being a hero. Feel bad about that.

Mount Lady: Why doesn't All For One just tell everyone about One For All?

Endeavor: Because then we'd hide away Deku, and All For One really wants his final confrontation now because he believes he'll be able to outwillpower a shonen protagonist... Hold on, I need a moment to emphasize my ongoing character development.

Hawks: Deku's made contact with the second assassin! And beat him up offscreen!

Second Assassin: Blegh...

All Might: Izuku! You need to rest and eat!

Izuku: Can't. I'm in my Dark Age "darker and edgier loner" period that everyone will look back on and wonder what the writer/artist was thinking when they thought it up! So I work alone now and my hero name is no longer Deku! It's Deathku the... the... The Bloodspiller!

All Might: Goddammit Izuku! We both know you're trying to protect everyone with this, and we both know it never works! So stop being silly, come eat something, and relax for a minute! At least go visit your friends and get their help!

Izuku: No! I must continue on so I can learn that very obvious lesson All Might! Besides, we both know that I've become so ridiculously powerful that they'd basically be relegated to standing around talking about everything! And we've already got a squad of people doing that in Endeavor's crew!
    end of spoilers
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    And chapter 316 and 317 can be best summed up as:

spoilers:
    316:

Lady Nagant: Everyone was right about you Izuku.

Izuku: I'm such a nice guy protag I think everyone deserves a redemption arc, even you Overhaul.

All Might: Even All For One?

Izuku:... No, not All for One. Because he's not a person. He's just an embodiment of evil that exists to be my final opponent and so that I can redeem the more sympathetic major villain they've been using the entire time. Like Kaguya Otsutsuki from Naruto, only with more build-up and wasn't shoehorned in.

All for One: I honestly can't believe that lady believed that I wasn't lying to and using her! Doesn't she know that I'm just an embodiment of evil that exists to be Deku's final opponent and so he can redeem Tomura? What an idiot!

317:

Endeavor: Hey, remember Death Arms? He quit being a hero. Feel bad about that.

Mount Lady: Why doesn't All For One just tell everyone about One For All?

Endeavor: Because then we'd hide away Deku, and All For One really wants his final confrontation now because he believes he'll be able to outwillpower a shonen protagonist... Hold on, I need a moment to emphasize my ongoing character development.

Hawks: Deku's made contact with the second assassin! And beat him up offscreen!

Second Assassin: Blegh...

All Might: Izuku! You need to rest and eat!

Izuku: Can't. I'm in my Dark Age "darker and edgier loner" period that everyone will look back on and wonder what the writer/artist was thinking when they thought it up! So I work alone now and my hero name is no longer Deku! It's Deathku the... the... The Bloodspiller!

All Might: Goddammit Izuku! We both know you're trying to protect everyone with this, and we both know it never works! So stop being silly, come eat something, and relax for a minute! At least go visit your friends and get their help!

Izuku: No! I must continue on so I can learn that very obvious lesson All Might! Besides, we both know that I've become so ridiculously powerful that they'd basically be relegated to standing around talking about everything! And we've already got a squad of people doing that in Endeavor's crew!
    end of spoilers
    Overhaul isn't getting a redemption arc. He's being shown a bit of compassion because he's broken man with nothing left, and even that is only in exchange for possibly giving Eri some closure to the nightmare trauma he put her through.

Lady Nagant didn't so much believe in All For One or that he was playing nice with her. It's that she see's herself as damaged goods and so desperately wanted an alternative to the system that takes idealistic little kids and turns them into stone cold killers that she was willing to accept the offer of someone as blatantly evil as All For One. Also, how was she supposed to know he could turn her into a bomb that would trigger upon her having a change of heart. We didn't know he could do that.

While Deku's turn towards the aesthetics of american superhero comics from the 90s include familiar story beats at least it's in line with the self-sacrifical nature he's had since the beginning and hurried development he's put himself through on numerous occasions. This is just the logical extreme of it all, and at heart he's still the same nice kid who just wants to help people.

And lastly, saving and redeeming people aren't necessarily the same thing. Deku wants to save Shigaraki because that guy has gone through hell since he was a little kid. But that doesn't mean that his crimes will be forgiven or that he won't be punished for them. We'll see how that storyline goes.