Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Happy Birthday, Jcogginsa. ^_^

Job security isn't a concern. We're public servants, we're in a legal strike position, and there's more than 150K of us that might be walking off. It's just...ugh. No pay, strike, etc. Not the best situation for anyone.

But we've been screwed over (like everyone else) for years with 'cost of living adjustments' to our pay that are much, much lower than the actual rise in cost of living (most often we get a 1 to 1.5% yearly cost of living adjustment when the CoL has risen by 2.5-3.5%...over 20 years, this makes a difference, especially to people who are on the lower end of the salaries). This has been happening since the last strike, more than 20 years ago. And with inflation being what it is, and the government offering a ridiculous cost of living adjustment in our new contract, and then balking at ANY negotiation - they refused to budge, asked for arbitration themselves, and when the arbiters told them 'no, you need to give concessions, union is being reasonable here' they walked from the table, this is their usual gameplan - the Union decided it had enough. Especially since it's tax season, and the Canadian Revenue Agency workers have also had enough and want to walk off (and are in a legal position to do so).

So...biggest strike in many decades is lining up right now, and for a change the average citizen isn't complaining about 'privileged fedgov workers' because EVERYONE has realized (amazingly) that we're all getting screwed. <-- there is still complaining, but it's not nearly as omnipresent as it has been in the past.

Negotiations are ongoing, with Treasury Board actually making concessions (they scrambled back to the table once we started the strike vote), but there's still a decent chance of striking.
    Hope things get better for you one way or another, Sharp!

Happy birthday Iron Twister
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Oh yeah, I see the strike finished, so hope that went better rather than worse Sharp.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Hope things get better for you one way or another, Sharp!
    Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Oh yeah, I see the strike finished, so hope that went better rather than worse Sharp.
    We basically lost.

Government refused to budge on the issues. Trudeau hid and didn't address the strike at all, despite constantly claiming beforehand that he supports workers and wants everyone to have a fair and decent wage. Also has always stated he supports women and women's rights, and more than half of PSAC is underpaid women making a big chunk less than the national median salary...where was Justin? Nowhere to be seen. But hey, that's Trudeau - all talk about supporting the average Canadian when he's actually a champion of big business.

End result is our wages - as compared to inflation - continue to drop. Sure, we got a 3% wage each year for the four years the contract covers (2021-2024). The inflation for the first three years of that contract (so far) is already at 15.1% (with whatever it is in 2024 getting added to that) versus the aggregate of 12% for the ENTIRE contract.

As someone on Reddit said: 'This adds up to about a 2% pay cut per year. That's just considering what the government counts as inflation and not the actual change in buying power since that would be a lot harsher. Please remember this, the government does not care about workers. They had a chance to set an example of how a confident country pays its workers and they said we deserved less.'

My wife and I are okay - I'm in the higher-end of the PSAC Union wrt salary, she's roughly average, we live in a small apartment that is paid off - but a whole lot of people aren't going to find this enough.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-01-2023 at 11:12 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

We basically lost.

Government refused to budge on the issues. Trudeau hid and didn't address the strike at all, despite constantly claiming beforehand that he supports workers and wants everyone to have a fair and decent wage. Also has always stated he supports women and women's rights, and more than half of PSAC is underpaid women making a big chunk less than the national median salary...where was Justin? Nowhere to be seen. But hey, that's Trudeau - all talk about supporting the average Canadian when he's actually a champion of big business.

End result is our wages - as compared to inflation - continue to drop. Sure, we got a 3% wage each year for the four years the contract covers (2021-2024). The inflation for the first three years of that contract (so far) is already at 15.1% (with whatever it is in 2024 getting added to that) versus the aggregate of 12% for the ENTIRE contract.

As someone on Reddit said: 'This adds up to about a 2% pay cut per year. That's just considering what the government counts as inflation and not the actual change in buying power since that would be a lot harsher. Please remember this, the government does not care about workers. They had a chance to set an example of how a confident country pays its workers and they said we deserved less.'

My wife and I are okay - I'm in the higher-end of the PSAC Union wrt salary, she's roughly average, we live in a small apartment that is paid off - but a whole lot of people aren't going to find this enough.
    Definitely a frustrating situation to be living through. Im glad you and Sharp's Wife are comfortable enough to ride it out. Politics are so often disappointing =/
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Definitely a frustrating situation to be living through. Im glad you and Sharp's Wife are comfortable enough to ride it out. Politics are so often disappointing =/
    Thanks. Sadly, a lot of people are NOT in a good situation in the union, and this...really didn't help them much.

Worse, Justin's star is falling, and for all that I want him out, it looks like we're gonna get a Con government next. Faaaabulous. ^_^ I cannot wait. <-- it is possible I'm being heavily sarcastic
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

We basically lost.

That sucks. Sorry to hear.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    That sucks. Sorry to hear.
    Thanks. Again, we're doing okay, but...lot of anger right now.
    Why are we here?

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

We basically lost.

That sucks hard, dude.

(Also, how do you pay off an apartment? I thought those were rent-forever.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    That sucks hard, dude.

(Also, how do you pay off an apartment? I thought those were rent-forever.)
    Apt - condo. Condo fees suck, but at least we’re done paying for the apartment. It’s an older building.
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Hit the big 34 today. Not quite sure what I'll do. Just happy to not be working at least.
    happy birthday

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Thanks. Sadly, a lot of people are NOT in a good situation in the union, and this...really didn't help them much.

Worse, Justin's star is falling, and for all that I want him out, it looks like we're gonna get a Con government next. Faaaabulous. ^_^ I cannot wait. <-- it is possible I'm being heavily sarcastic
    As a country who has had the Conservatives in power for about 13 years and now, in what is presumably entirely circumstances, our public institutions are crumbling, our currency has tanked in value, we have mass employment shortages, a cost of living crisis, the highest energy bills in Europe, mass strikes in most sectors and the introduction of increasingly far right and draconian legislation.

So, yeah, good luck with that my guy.

Trudeau has definitely been relentlessly disappointing.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    As a country who has had the Conservatives in power for about 13 years and now, in what is presumably entirely circumstances, our public institutions are crumbling, our currency has tanked in value, we have mass employment shortages, a cost of living crisis, the highest energy bills in Europe, mass strikes in most sectors and the introduction of increasingly far right and draconian legislation.

So, yeah, good luck with that my guy.

Trudeau has definitely been relentlessly disappointing.
    Hang in there, too, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Hit the big 34 today. Not quite sure what I'll do. Just happy to not be working at least.
    Happy Birthday!

Apt - condo. Condo fees suck, but at least we’re done paying for the apartment. It’s an older building.
    Ah, I see.

We basically lost.

Sorry things didn't go well. I can actually empathize to a degree. This kind of reminds me of when I worked for the State government and then Chris Christie became governor and all state workers salaries were frozen, including cost of living increases. Over the next few years, the agency where I worked saw an outward flow of employees seeking better pay and working conditions in the private sector. Eventually I left as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happens where you work, to a degree. Having co-workers leave if they can find better work elsewhere.

Shame Justin Trudeau is wimping out and washing out. Canada needs the right kind of leadership.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Thanks for the birthday wishes all! It wasn't a bad day all things considered.