C'mon SEGA, let the man have at least a modicum of peace and happiness for himself before you possibly kill him off.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    I don't have much optimism, either. The problem with a global solution to a global problem isn't that things can't change, it's that you can't get everyone onboard to change the same way, at the same rate, with the same willingness to compromise their ways of life in such a way as to make a smooth and rapid transition to a less energy-dependent society, while still being adaptable to new ideas we might have on the fly, and not have the whole thing collapse from varying scales of resource need, desperation, bias, ideological differences, etc. The systems are so vast, so entrenched, so rusted, and so resistant, and the people who have the power to move and shake said systems to get the balls truly rolling need to feel the apocalypse breathing down their necks before they'll treat all this with the level of emergency necessary to enact change. And then you need everyone else under them, from the middlingst manager to the poorest laborer, to also get onboard with saving the planet without letting fear for their own survival, or the seething unfairness of it all undermining the effort.

We just aren't really equipped as a whole species to handle this level of crisis in a truly effective way. Even if we miraculously decided to all get onboard today, as you said, it's going to take decades, if not centuries, to fix the damage, if it isn't already too late on the geological scale.

So, it's extremely difficult not to be a doomer about it. At this point, all we really can do is try to look out for each other on the local level, and ride out the coming storm, and pray to the gods our descendants make it through the other side, and learn from the mistakes of the past, without overcorrecting into another catastrophe. You can try to get more involved in politics and business, or support those who will, with the right mind set, but the corruption is already cemented in place, and it's going to take a truly enormous changing of the guard to really get things moving. And can we even achieve that in the time we need to?

Still, humans will probably last another few millennia, at least. I don't think Earth is gunna turn into another Venus for quite a while, and before that happens, any number of other ecological shifts could happen. We probably got another ice age in the distant future.
    I don't disagree with everything you're saying. There's a lot up there *points* that is absolutely true. But I will note that this isn't an all-or-nothing situation.

Yes, we're past the point of stopping Global Warming (blatantly obvious with all of the awful **** that's happening right now). But it's not a binary, all-or-nothing situation. We can still mitigate. And mitigation is the crucial thing to how the generations after us - those descendants of whom you speak - and the rest of the planet deals with our mistakes.

Wouldn't it be better to try and make things easier for them to get through to the other side?

Maybe we can't get everyone to line up and try. I don't believe we can either, and you make good points about that. But the more people who do, the more people who vote for the issues that matter, the more people who change their own lifestyles, the more people who pressure business to change, the more people who actively try to both work in the awful system AND change it, the more mitigation we will get.

The more mitigation we have, the better the chances that temperatures will rise by 1.5-2 Celsius, rather than 2-4 Celsius. The less damage will occur. The less healing will be needed, assuming we actually get our acts together and change our societies. Etc.

That's my feeling on the matter, and one reason why I haven't given up trying. I mean, I'll be dead - most likely - before the worst of it, or the worst of it will be what kills me in my old age; either way I won't need to live my life through it. And I don't have kids. But I feel I still have a responsibility to the kids of other people who never asked for this and now have the task of living through it, and to the biosphere that we have ravaged.

So I keep looking for things I can do, things I can try to change, for mitigation.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 09-21-2023 at 08:01 AM. Reason: ...why do I ALWAYS spell celsius wrong, has been that way since forever....
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

The Korean TV series Moving is the best TV series involving super-powered people out there, at least in my book. Really likable characters, really hatable characters, great story told from multiple perspectives, and the highest consistent level of fighting involving street-level supers I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    The Korean TV series Moving is the best TV series involving super-powered people out there, at least in my book. Really likable characters, really hatable characters, great story told from multiple perspectives, and the highest consistent level of fighting involving street-level supers I've seen.
    Haven't heard of this, interesting.

Now that my movie watching is on a bit of a lull currently I should get back to actually finishing some shows
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Haven't heard of this, interesting.

Now that my movie watching is on a bit of a lull currently I should get back to actually finishing some shows
    If I can find it on Canadian NF I'll have a look.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    One-Punch Man: "Just Lift, Dude" pretty much summarizes the entire chapter.
    Poor King.

Dude knows he's bad at working out on his own and tries to ask for help. But everybody else is just too stupid to help him.

Extraordinary Member

Alucard, Ash Williams, and Skeletor have been added to Call of Duty

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Alucard, Ash Williams, and Skeletor have been added to Call of Duty
    Hellsing Alucard or Castlevania Alucard?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Hellsing Alucard or Castlevania Alucard?
    The One that's a fuckmothering vampire

Happy 40th birthday to me.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Happy 40th birthday to me.
    Happy Birthday, Bruce!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Jujutsu Kaisen:....spoilers:
    Rest in peace, Gojo. And **** YOU, Sukuna. But nah, seriously, I doubt Gojo is actually dead. On top of Gege confirming that Gojo would definitely tell Megumi about Toji, the conversation with his dead friends regarding North(rebirth) and South (remaining as yourself) - which continues to emphasize his correlation with Buddha - suggests he's likely going to revive (especially since Sukuna made the same mistake as Toji did - not aiming for his head) but that there's a distinct possibility that the act of doing so will weaken him or even strip him of his powers entirely.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 09-21-2023 at 10:33 PM.

EAT! THAT! HORSE!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.