The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Hah. Bored at work, and flipped on Youtube (I'm waiting for analysis to complete). Youtube offered up a series of 'When ordinary people challenge trained/sport fighters to matches.' One of them was men against women (women being trained), the other one just a catch-all.

It's amazing how so many of them start and end exactly the same - the untrained person with some kind of a 'game plan' that usually involves charging and throwing strikes as fast as they can. The trained fighter usually shunts them off, or blocks most, takes a hit or two, and then responds with some kind of combination or well-placed single hit.

And...the untrained person staggers away, then freezes.

Assuming they don't just get dropped right there and then, they then spend the rest of the (short) fight completely on the defense, as if utterly dismayed. Even to the point sometimes of the trained fighter dropping their guard completely, in reach, to try to bait them (and they just stand there, still defensive).

The game plan failed the instant it hit trained resistance, and their brain just can't cope. It doesn't know what to do.

Freeze or flail.

Not all of them are like that (one hilarious fight is one dude who clearly understands he's overmatched, literally running around the Octagon while laughing hysterically, a grimly-grinning woman in pursuit), and sometimes the untrained offense continues until a it is stopped two, three times, but the whole idea certainly pops up enough that it's a consistent thing. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

I believe it was Mike Tyson who said "everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth". Getting hit will throw those n00bs out of their game plan, and then they don't have anything else to do...
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I believe it was Mike Tyson who said "everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth". Getting hit will throw those n00bs out of their game plan, and then they don't have anything else to do...
    Oh, absolutely. Comes down to the whole four levels of competence thing again.

And then there's the whole 'I got hit! I don't like that!' thing happening.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Feel free to make any needed substitutions, I think we all have had to demote that one on occasion.

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Saw Loki's first episode.

I feel like I have less ability to predict where this goes than any MCU thing I've seen (which is pretty much everything). I am intrigued. Character stuff is cool too.

I need that second episode
    Last edited by Postmania; 06-09-2021 at 04:11 AM.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post

I feel like I have less ability to predict where this goes than any MCU thing I've seen (which is pretty much everything). I am intrigued. Character stuff is cool too.

Dammit - I thought it was Friday it came out!!

Why are we here?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

my teeth hurt and i'm seriously considering doping myself up and doing the job myself. wouldn't be the first time.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post

indeed, the aesthetic of this show so far is fantastic, and the Hiddleston/Owen Wilson combo is fantastic. Also good lord I forgot how badly Wilson's nose is misshapen.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 06-09-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Dammit - I thought it was Friday it came out!!
    This one comes out Wednesdays

Yeah, Loki looks like it could be fun. I’m reserving judgment for another couple of episodes though.

Once bitten and all that.