Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    When did you become such a coward?
    Your provocations fall on deaf ears, my friend. My ego is both massive and impervious.

Is it cowardice, to seek to preserve perfection? I could perhaps go chisel off the eyebrows of Michelangelo's David, were I so inclined. But I feel we would all agree that in its current form, both adding or subtracting would only detract from it's magnificence.

My own eyebrows are the same way. It is not fear that guides my decision, it is wisdom. The form of the man you see before you is at the height of aesthetic excellence. He cannot *choose* what would improve himself, as the mere attempt to do so is counterproductive.

He changes, true. Much like the season he shifts and sways...Slowly. Naturally. Until a new height of excellence---I will not be so vulgar as to claim perfection in public--is obtained, through no effort of his own.

.....Technically speaking, if I wanted to 'Dress to impress' so to speak, I should wear nothing but a loincloth, as the mere addition of clothing to my form diminishes my true splendor, but that is a tale for another time.

Spoken like a true coward, but I'd expect nothing less from the man who idolizes the anime equivalent of wet cardboard. You know of whom I speak, yes?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Spoken like a true coward, but I'd expect nothing less from the man who idolizes the anime equivalent of wet cardboard. You know of whom I speak, yes?
    ....You dare mock my good friend, Jiren The Grey so openly?

I am no stranger to scorn and ridicule being heaped upon my own name. At this point such sentiment sustains me as if it were oxygen. But why must you so vigorously disrespect Jiren?

It was not his fault that until the very end, the fighters assembled to face him were like pebbles being thrown at the vibranium fortress known as Jiren.

How could he be anything but bored and uninterested? Until the very end, victory was almost assured!

Perhaps one can criticize his unwillingness to go all out until it was too late, but he was not entirely wrong!
    Last edited by Miburo; 07-21-2021 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miburo View Post

I am no stranger to scorn and ridicule being heaped upon my own name. At this point such sentiment sustains me as if it were oxygen. But why must you so vigorously disrespect Jiren?

It was not his fault that until the very end, the fighters assembled to face him were like pebbles being thrown at the vibranium fortress known as Jiren.

How could he be anything but bored and uninterested? Until the very end, victory was almost assured!

Perhaps one can criticize his unwillingness to go all out until it was too late, but he was not entirely wrong!
    Mock him? No good sir, I deny his worth outright.

He is naught but wet cardboard, left to be trampled to mush on the street. What did he bring to the table beyond [Insert Uninspired Backstory Here], and [I Am Strong... Because!]? Of what use is that to craft a compelling antagonist? Of what philosophical worth is an empty vessel?

To compare, take the Good Sir Wilford "Toppo" Brimley. While still void of a fully fleshed out self, his motivations and the eschewing of his mortal beliefs in exchange for the power to save his Universe was on the face of it compelling, even if he was defeated by a slightly more Moe, Waifugeta. There was a soul there. There was a man, there.

But what lies behind Jiren's strength? What compels him to surpass the very GoDs themselves, only to be brought to his knees by Android 17? Only to be defeated by a Goku, and Frieza on the dregs of their power? Nothing. Behind Jiren the Grey's eyes, is a soulless void. There is no man, there.

CAN YOU DENY THIS?

WILL YOU TRY?

... find out next week on the next installment of MiburoBall Super!
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

He is naught but wet cardboard, left to be trampled to mush on the street. What did he bring to the table beyond [Insert Uninspired Backstory Here], and [I Am Strong... Because!]? Of what use is that to craft a compelling antagonist? Of what philosophical worth is an empty vessel?

To compare, take the Good Sir Wilford "Toppo" Brimley. While still void of a fully fleshed out self, his motivations and the eschewing of his mortal beliefs in exchange for the power to save his Universe was on the face of it compelling, even if he was defeated by a slightly more Moe, Waifugeta. There was a soul there. There was a man, there.

But what lies behind Jiren's strength? What compels him to surpass the very GoDs themselves, only to be brought to his knees by Android 17? Only to be defeated by a Goku, and Frieza on the dregs of their power? Nothing. Behind Jiren the Grey's eyes, is a soulless void. There is no man, there.

CAN YOU DENY THIS?

WILL YOU TRY?

What an entirely unexpected turn of events to have two of my most reprehensible nemeses engage in an inane repartee over a mildly generic powerhouse, for my amusement. Entertain me further, mongrels. It is your sole function, after all.
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 07-21-2021 at 07:31 PM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    What an entirely unexpected turn of events to have two of my most reprehensible nemeses engage an inane repartee over a mildly generic powerhouse, for my amusement. Entertain me further, mongrels. It is your sole function, after all.
    I wasn't even going to deign to respond to this as I debated the intricacies of such things with Thulu, but I'll take a slight moment to do so before my Miburonap...Actually, no.

You are not ready. As such, I will respond to Thulhu, while perhaps deciding to reflect on your points at the same time, as I am magnanimous.

CAN YOU DENY THIS?

WILL YOU TRY?

Jiren is not a standout in the tournament because to him the tournament was the most boring thing ever until the end. And while he is a jackass, there is no indication that he is excited about basically nuking the Multiverse by his own hand!

Under these circumstances, him being bored and completely disengaged is to be expected. It's like entering a tournament and having to fight pre-teens--let's say a bunch of seven year olds-- or else your city gets blown up. Also, their city gets blown up.

Like, You're very sure you're gonna win. But you're not exactly going to enjoy basically being the hand that basically kills these kids, and nukes their city. Jiren being blase and uninterested beyond the bare minimum is understandable.

I think this was even mentioned in the Manga before my boy Toriyama was like 'Nah.' (...Which I also think was a mistake, but I digress.)

As such, Jiren was done a disservice by the plot, and by being far, far stronger than everyone else. His personality failed as an antagonist because everyone was basically some randos he had to beat to save his universe and they weren't good enough to even warrant actual stakes until the end.

Freiza would have thrived, because he got his rocks of tormenting everyone. Cell wanted to prove he was the strongest, and at least had competition.

....This was basically "The Farmer with Shotgun Tournament featuring Raditz."

Only when Jiren found worthy competition did we see him shine forth. Yes, he lost to Goku and Co, but he also had to surpass his limits to stand up and fight again, and he still barely lost! Did his spirit not shine forth when he rose again to answer the hopes of his allies?

Was that not the actions of a man?

...Also, Toppo is great and I fully agree with your respect for him. Such a noble, Valiant man.

But Jiren understands the need for strength, just like Virgil from DMC.

"Foolishness, Dante, foolishness. Might controls everything, and without strength, you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself."

Jiren pursues strength above all else so that he may control his own fate, not gods, or demons, or anything else. (Aside from Zeno, but okay. Come on.)

He shows no true joy at the thrill of battle like a Saiyan, or delight at suffering like Freiza.

No...Strength is a burden. A weight. And yet, it must be pursued all the same to protect whatever matters to oneself at any given moment.

Had Jiren been a lord of absolute strength, he never would have lost his mentor, and his allies would have never given up in terror. That lack of strength was akin to failure. To Jiren, strength is success.

Or something.

He...Didn't really talk about his feels that much.

BRING BACK JIREN.
    Last edited by Miburo; 07-21-2021 at 07:44 PM.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

f the man you see before you is at the height.
    Hehehehehe
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Jiren is not a standout in the tournament because to him the tournament was the most boring thing ever until the end. And while he is a jackass, there is no indication that he is excited about basically nuking the Multiverse by his own hand!

Under these circumstances, him being bored and completely disengaged is to be expected. It's like entering a tournament and having to fight pre-teens--let's say a bunch of seven year olds-- or else your city gets blown up. Also, their city gets blown up.

Like, You're very sure you're gonna win. But you're not exactly going to enjoy basically being the hand that basically kills these kids, and nukes their city. Jiren being blase and uninterested beyond the bare minimum is understandable.

I think this was even mentioned in the Manga before my boy Toriyama was like 'Nah.' (...Which I also think was a mistake, but I digress.)

As such, Jiren was done a disservice by the plot, and by being far, far stronger than everyone else. His personality failed as an antagonist because everyone was basically some randos he had to beat to save his universe and they weren't good enough to even warrant actual stakes until the end.

Freiza would have thrived, because he got his rocks of tormenting everyone. Cell wanted to prove he was the strongest, and at least had competition.

....This was basically "The Farmer with Shotgun Tournament featuring Raditz."

Only when Jiren found worthy competition did we see him shine forth. Yes, he lost to Goku and Co, but he also had to surpass his limits to stand up and fight again, and he still barely lost! Did his spirit not shine forth when he rose again to answer the hopes of his allies?

Was that not the actions of a man?

...Also, Toppo is great and I fully agree with you respect for him.

But Jiren understands the need for strength, just like Virgil from DMC.

"Foolishness, Dante, foolishness. Might controls everything, and without strength, you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself."

Jiren pursues strength above all else so that he may control his own fate, not gods, or demons, or anything else.

He shows no true joy at the thrill of battle like a Saiyan, or delight at suffering like Freiza.

No...Strength is a burden. A weight. And yet, it must be pursued all the same to protect whatever matters to oneself at any given moment.

Had Jiren been a lord of absolute strength, he never would have lost his mentor, and his allies would have never given up in terror. That lack of strength was akin to failure. To Jiren, strength is success.

Or something.

He...Didn't really talk about his feels that much.

BRING BACK JIREN.
    All I see in this rambling mess of a response is a philosopher attempting to shave a chicken and declare it man. You are better than this, Miburo.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    What an entirely unexpected turn of events to have two of my most reprehensible nemeses engage in an inane repartee over a mildly generic powerhouse, for my amusement. Entertain me further, mongrels. It is your sole function, after all.
    I don't even know who you are.

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Hehehehehe
    ...I was going to ask if that....

God dammit.

We both know it's a short joke.

Our hero everyone.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

...I was going to ask if that....

God dammit.

We both know it's a short joke.
    I had to strike where I knew it would hurt. Cut you down to size, if you will.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

I don't even know who you are.
    Neither do I. My instincts simply tell me that you are food and must be mocked before eaten.

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...dc-1234985568/

Ohhh this movie is going to be s-t.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...dc-1234985568/

Ohhh this movie is going to be s-t.
    I forgot this was even a thing. What a waste of money.