Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    They both have uniquely mixed heritage that gives them all the powers and they're both able to invoke change in other people on a large scale through the raw power of their good nature and just trying to do the right thing. They both also have issues with self-doubt that crop up every now and again that is never entirely done away, but they learn to deal with it.

Anything else.
    Both are very repressed people, which takes he form of placing their own needs as secondary to the needs of others.

Cool edit I found.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

If it's single digits here in Texas with the snow piling up, I can only imagine how bad it is for places where winter actually winters.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    If it's single digits here in Texas with the snow piling up, I can only imagine how bad it is for places where winter actually winters.
    It's only 24 with freezing rain here. Snow would be much prettier.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    From what I hear, at least in places where there's usually winter at least those locations have experience with those conditions. Meanwhile Texas has things like the Fort Worth thing, or houses that are designed to expel heat instead of keep them in in winter
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

We're under hard freeze and ice warning where I'm at. Highs will only be in the mid-40s with lows down to 19° at the lowest. Add rain on top of all that and it's gonna be a miserable few days this week

Oh, and this is all after we've had temps in the low 70s a few days ago.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

I should be used to cold winters, but this year is, on average, worse than usual. 10's, 20's, 30's mostly.

According to the weather reports, my area is heading towards a gradual temperature increase into the 40's, by next month we might even hit 50's, which is considered warm for this time of year.

Snow is pretty at first, but when everything is buried under it, it's not so much fun. Heading into the snow to rain phase, hopefully it will wash away much of the snow.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member

Yeah but at this point desperate times call for desperate and freaky measures. I wonder who the mystery guest is.

Black Clover: Asta debuts his Devil Union form and gets to save the kingdom in front of... pretty much the entire kingdom. Good on him.

My Hero Academia: We get some more details on the Todoroki family drama when the kids were growing up. Endeavor has just never been good at the whole raising children bit, and Toya got unhinged way earlier than expected.
    spoilers:

If anything, I was surprised that he was much less **** at it than I imagined. He seemed genuinely concerned about Toya even after realizing he couldn't be the successor he wanted. He basically begged Toya to stop training when they realized it was too dangerous for him...Although Endeavor placing his hopes in him so fervently to start was a huge part of the problem.

The kids didn't seem miserable and he seemed to indicate they didn't have a shitty life since they were running around and playing and ****.

He didn't seem perfect, but he seemed....Passable, at least. I half suspect he was....okay, before Toya's thing happened, and after that he just went full "THIS WILL NOT BE FOR NOTHING." and got all crazy with Shooto and everyone else. He probably was disinterested (Or less invested for obvious reasons) in the other two kids, but I don't think he went full POS until later maybe.

Admittedly, this is based on only a few chapters--and I'll not be surprised if other chapters established he was a dick more often then not-- but if we didn't know Endevour was a shitty dad before hand, he'd look decent atleast in this one.

Well, until it seemed implied that Shooto was conceived partially because of Endeavors issue, and partially to get Toya to give up lol. That's a bit of a dick move. Literally, but also figuratively.

Although I guess he had to hope for some way to get the kid to let it go, since he flat out wasn't built for withstanding flames, despite having a crazy high output and that wasn't gonna happen without someone better suited to Endevours hopes around.

Although even that wasn't a guarantee ....It's pretty sad how we can see how everything went wrong so clearly lol.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Miburo; 02-15-2021 at 04:54 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Pretty average temperatures where I am for early-mid Feb. -16C (3F) without Windchill in the early morning was the norm for the past weekend. Would get up to about -12C (10F). Today was -10C (14F), so 'no earmuffs for the walk from car to work'. ^_^

But I understand the cold is coming our way.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
    spoilers:
    If anything, I was surprised that he was much less **** at it than I imagined. He seemed genuinely concerned about Toya even after realizing he couldn't be the successor he wanted. He basically begged Toya to stop training when they realized it was too dangerous for him...Although Endeavor placing his hopes in him so fervently to start was a huge part of the problem.

The kids didn't seem miserable and he seemed to indicate they didn't have a shitty life since they were running around and playing and ****.

He didn't seem perfect, but he seemed....Passable, at least. I half suspect he was....okay, before Toya's thing happened, and after that he just went full "THIS WILL NOT BE FOR NOTHING." and got all crazy with Shooto and everyone else. He probably was disinterested (Or less invested for obvious reasons) in the other two kids, but I don't think he went full POS until later maybe.

Admittedly, this is based on only a few chapters--and I'll not be surprised if other chapters established he was a dick more often then not-- but if we didn't know Endevour was a shitty dad before hand, he'd look decent atleast in this one.

Well, until it seemed implied that Shooto was conceived partially because of Endeavors issue, and partially to get Toya to give up lol. That's a bit of a dick move. Literally, but also figuratively.

Although I guess he had to hope for some way to get the kid to let it go, since he flat out wasn't built for withstanding flames, despite having a crazy high output and that wasn't gonna happen without someone better suited to Endevours hopes around.

Although even that wasn't a guarantee ....It's pretty sad how we can see how everything went wrong so clearly lol.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Basically there was potential for Endeavor to be a good father, but he ruined it with his petty obsession of being better than All Might, and it wasn't really help by how Endeavor is just really **** at communicating with his family.

Like with the whole Touya situation. It's not just that he placed all his ambition on the kid and then just told him that they'd hard stop the training (never even considering any alternative). It's that he told Touya to give it up when he himself was still clearly obsessed with the idea of beating All Might, going so far as to have more kids just to get one that had a better combo of his and Rei's quirks than what Touya ended up with. That obviously made the kid feel worthless and pointless and Endeavor did nothing to help with that. Endeavor told Touya to stop the training because he was worried about him, but his actions indicated that he saw him as a failed project to be replaced.

We don't know how much Rei did or didn't do to alleviate Touya's issues since he still snapped. But he does seem to hold a bit more of an affection for her than the others. So she might've tried to show him the love he wasn't getting from Endeavor, but that just wasn't enough.

Back to Endeavor. The abuse he put Touya and the rest of the family through prior to snapping with Shoto is different than what many expected, myself included. But it is still abuse. Selfishly building up Touya and his aspirations only to tear them down when it turned out he couldn't meet Endeavor's expectations, and then doing it all over again with Shoto only worse because now he was creating an environment so stressful that Rei poured boiling water on her son's face.

Endeavor had a chance at being a decent parent. But he fucked that up big time, and then he just didn't stop until he got the number one spot handed to him.
    end of spoilers

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I kind of agree with Miburo.

This felt like coward move on behalf of MHA to me.

spoilers:
    We have, at time of writing, been presented with the softest possible version of shitty-dad!Endeavour and it seems Dabi just went crazy apropos of the slightest provocation. This feels like Horikoshi is trying to walk back how demonised Endeavour earlier in the story.

Why not have Endeavour actually be a real shitty dad and focus more on the difficult of his redemption? I was expecting significantly worse than this and the, seemingly inevitable forgiveness from his family and the work he has done to earn it feels less meaningful. Endeavour was one of the characters I liked more because he and Hawks had the whole "shitty manipulative people who are nonetheless on the side of the angels," bit going. That was engaging.

And now it's like "Oh Endeavour was never really that bad," and that makes him more generic.
    end of spoilers

I'm willing to see where it goes but I'm not liking how quickly Dabi's instability has been rammed through in this chapter.

spoilers:
    Basically there was potential for Endeavor to be a good father, but he ruined it with his petty obsession of being better than All Might, and it wasn't really help by how Endeavor is just really **** at communicating with his family.

Like with the whole Touya situation. It's not just that he placed all his ambition on the kid and then just told him that they'd hard stop the training (never even considering any alternative). It's that he told Touya to give it up when he himself was still clearly obsessed with the idea of beating All Might, going so far as to have more kids just to get one that had a better combo of his and Rei's quirks than what Touya ended up with. That obviously made the kid feel worthless and pointless and Endeavor did nothing to help with that. Endeavor told Touya to stop the training because he was worried about him, but his actions indicated that he saw him as a failed project to be replaced.

We don't know how much Rei did or didn't do to alleviate Touya's issues since he still snapped. But he does seem to hold a bit more of an affection for her than the others. So she might've tried to show him the love he wasn't getting from Endeavor, but that just wasn't enough.

Back to Endeavor. The abuse he put Touya and the rest of the family through prior to snapping with Shoto is different than what many expected, myself included. But it is still abuse. Selfishly building up Touya and his aspirations only to tear them down when it turned out he couldn't meet Endeavor's expectations, and then doing it all over again with Shoto only worse because now he was creating an environment so stressful that Rei poured boiling water on her son's face.

Endeavor had a chance at being a decent parent. But he fucked that up big time, and then he just didn't stop until he got the number one spot handed to him.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
    spoilers:

end of spoilers
    ispoilers:
    Also keep in mind that he had two kids after Toya, contrary to what the doctor advised him, which implied that Endeavor already saw Toya as a "failed project" long before Shouto was even born(and Rei even points out to Enji that Toya *knew* why he had two new siblings). And these chapters do not walk back on Endeavor's atrocities and abusive nature. It sets up the context of how Enji started out as at first being an overly ambitious, negligent and selfish *******, then just descended further down the rabbit hole from there. And it's not trying to handwave Touya as "Oh, he was always a bit unstable, so it's not wholly Endeavor's fault". Because the last couple chapters establish that Endeavor *is* the reason for his son's psychological problems by building him up for years, ruthlessly tearing him down and making feel like he's utterly failed as a son to his father by telling him to pursue other things without offering any other recourse. Then having it come full-circle when he understands that his father wished to "replace" him.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 02-15-2021 at 06:56 AM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I kind of agree with Miburo.

This felt like coward move on behalf of MHA to me.

spoilers:
    We have, at time of writing, been presented with the softest possible version of shitty-dad!Endeavour and it seems Dabi just went crazy apropos of the slightest provocation. This feels like Horikoshi is trying to walk back how demonised Endeavour earlier in the story.

Why not have Endeavour actually be a real shitty dad and focus more on the difficult of his redemption? I was expecting significantly worse than this and the, seemingly inevitable forgiveness from his family and the work he has done to earn it feels less meaningful. Endeavour was one of the characters I liked more because he and Hawks had the whole "shitty manipulative people who are nonetheless on the side of the angels," bit going. That was engaging.

And now it's like "Oh Endeavour was never really that bad," and that makes him more generic.
    end of spoilers

I'm willing to see where it goes but I'm not liking how quickly Dabi's instability has been rammed through in this chapter.
    spoilers:
    Just because he didn't start out at maximum ****-dad-mode and had to build up to his most abusive actions (none of which have undone of softened by these flashbacks) doesn't mean that Endeavor's any less of an abusive and selfish failure of a parent. Endeavor fucked up one kid with his own selfish ambition and as soon as he got a kid with the quirk build he always wanted he started doing it again only you know worse, having ignored every consequence of what he did with Touya.

And the chapter shows that there are a few good years, probably full of neglect and desperation building up within Touya, between Endeavor stopping Touya's training and Touya snapping. So it's not like it all just happened in one day.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    ispoilers:
    Also keep in mind that he had two kids after Toya, contrary to what the doctor advised him, which implied that Endeavor already saw Toya as a "failed project" long before Shouto was even born. And these chapters do not walk back on Endeavor's atrocities and abusive nature. It sets up the context of how Enji started out as overly ambitious, negligent and selfish, then just descended further down the rabbit hole from there. And it's not trying to handwave Touya as "Oh, he was always a bit unstable, so it's not wholly Endeavor's fault". Because the last couple chapters establish that Endeavor *is* the reason for his son's psychological problems by building him up for years, ruthlessly tearing him down and making feel like he's utterly failed as a son to his father (and even damaging his self-worth) by telling him to pursue other things without offering any other recourse. Then having it come full-circle when he understands that his father wished to "replace" him.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    We get to see the scope and details of Endeavor's abuse. But the series doesn't back down on Endeavor being an abuser of his family.
    end of spoilers

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!