The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    The latest U16 centric side chapter proved she's been a sociopath even as a child. If you don't care about spoilers: spoilers:
    She turned SSJ2 because she was mad the villain said she, after beating Bra's ass, wanted to fight the "real thing", aka Vegito. She then proceed to destroy the space colony they were standing on, killing her half-brother Goten. One of the villains somehow survived and landed on the nearby planet. Bra, in an effort to kill that one single person, destroyed the planet the woman was standing on, and then the solar system because her blast went through the planet and struck the sun and caused it to go supernova.

When confronted by justifiably pissed off father calling her out of her out of control behavior, she showed zero remorse for killing Goten or any of the innocent people that lived in that solar system. Instead, she was happy because he said she surpassed Gohan. This prompted him to state very plainly that he would have to one day kill her unless she reined in her power because eventually she would be too much for even him to control. Then and only then did she show an ounce of emotion other than joy. Starts here, if you're interested.
    end of spoilers
    ...when someone's reaction to all of that boils down to 'It's not fair', that's a pretty stark indication that there's something horrifically wrong with them.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    ...when someone's reaction to all of that boils down to 'It's not fair', that's a pretty stark indication that there's something horrifically wrong with them.
    Honestly, she's the reason I dropped it. Annoying brat needs to get the taste smacked out of her mouth for her s-t.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Basically Son Bra.
    While Homelander is much more complex character than DBM Bra, you've actually highlighted an interesting point of comparison.

Though, Homelander is better written and his actor does a bunch of work selling the character well; the central notes of being entitled, massively emotionally repressed, somewhat childish and unfathomably powerful within the context of their setting are certainly shared between the two.

This is partly why I find people's distaste for Bra a bit confusing; people love Homelander because he's terrifying and engaging.

Bra is similarly terrifying and has a lot of his same pathologies, albeit in a more murder-y way than a psychosexual mother-issues way, but when she does it it's "annoying," rather than the desired effect of disturbing or scary.

Thinking about it, this has similar elements to the backlash against Kylo Ren and Sasuke. There's something about emotionally immature antagonists that can be quite repellent to some people in some contexts but highly engaging in others.

Interesting phenomenon.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 10-19-2020 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    ...people love Homelander because he's terrifying and engaging.
    People love Homelander? The character?

I mean, I've only seen some of his appearances in the comics, what I could stomach of them. But still.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

People love Homelander? The character?

I mean, I've only seen some of his appearances in the comics, what I could stomach of them. But still.
    As in love what he brings to the show as the villain. I don't mean like him personally, dude is a white supremacist, murderous, sociopath who's girlfriend is a Nazi. He's an awful human being and eminently hateable on a personal level. However, he's also the villain of the show so that's kind of the point. Further to that, he's written really well, the actor is talented enough that he's really fun to watch and it's very engaging television. He works in his role.

Like, I hate The Boys comic, passionately. I've openly talked about what hot garbage it is. Homelander there has dick-all nuance and every other character is just as awful or even worse, even the protagonists, and the story says basically nothing of interest or value because Garth Ennis is kind of a hack.

The TV show is better written, has far more to say and makes Homelander both more intimidating, more complicated and more pathetic. It's really enjoyable writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    As in love what he brings to the show as the villain. I don't mean like him personally, dude is a white supremacist, murderous, sociopath who's girlfriend is a Nazi. He's an awful human being and eminently hateable on a personal level. However, he's also the villain of the show so that's kind of the point. Further to that, he's written really well, the actor is talented enough that he's really fun to watch and it's very engaging television. He works in his role.

Like, I hate The Boys comic, passionately. I've openly talked about what hot garbage it is. Homelander there has dick-all nuance and every other character is just as awful or even worse, even the protagonists, and the story says basically nothing of interest or value because Garth Ennis is kind of a hack.

The TV show is better written, has far more to say and makes Homelander both more intimidating, more complicated and more pathetic. It's really enjoyable writing.
    Okay, all of that makes sense. ^_^ Thanks.
    Why are we here?

Anybody watching Helstrom?

It doesn’t have a broadcaster/distributor over here, so I’m curious as to what it’s like.

It’s a shame it wasn’t a Netflix show. Would have been interesting to see an already batshit Trish Walker meet a new boyfriend, only to find out he’s the literal son of Satan. That right there? That’s the deep end, Trish. Dive right in.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    The latest U16 centric side chapter proved she's been a sociopath even as a child. If you don't care about spoilers: spoilers:
    She turned SSJ2 because she was mad the villain said she, after beating Bra's ass, wanted to fight the "real thing", aka Vegito. She then proceed to destroy the space colony they were standing on, killing her half-brother Goten. One of the villains somehow survived and landed on the nearby planet. Bra, in an effort to kill that one single person, destroyed the planet the woman was standing on, and then the solar system because her blast went through the planet and struck the sun and caused it to go supernova.

When confronted by justifiably pissed off father calling her out of her out of control behavior, she showed zero remorse for killing Goten or any of the innocent people that lived in that solar system. Instead, she was happy because he said she surpassed Gohan. This prompted him to state very plainly that he would have to one day kill her unless she reined in her power because eventually she would be too much for even him to control. Then and only then did she show an ounce of emotion other than joy. Starts here, if you're interested.
    end of spoilers
    sigh.

goddamnit, nappa.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Anybody watching Helstrom?

It doesn’t have a broadcaster/distributor over here, so I’m curious as to what it’s like.

It’s a shame it wasn’t a Netflix show. Would have been interesting to see an already batshit Trish Walker meet a new boyfriend, only to find out he’s the literal son of Satan. That right there? That’s the deep end, Trish. Dive right in.
    Ugh, you made me remember Trish. My favorite part of her entire appearance being the 'I'm the bad guy' scene. ^_^

But yes, would have been fun.

I'm currently running a 30 day subscription to Prime (free), but I don't think it's on that. Too bad. Would be curious to see how it is as well.
    Why are we here?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

every princess needs a knight. or in this case, a bodyguard. and princess illandra only has one: akira barbossa.

Ugh, you made me remember Trish. My favorite part of her entire appearance being the 'I'm the bad guy' scene. ^_^

But yes, would have been fun.

I'm currently running a 30 day subscription to Prime (free), but I don't think it's on that. Too bad. Would be curious to see how it is as well.
    No, it’s on Hulu in NA (or at least in the States - I’m unsure how much overlap there is with Canada).

I really wish Feige hadn’t gone all control-freaky on the TV shows (although I’d be intrigued to find out how much of that comes down from Disney), because I don’t think this show is being continued past Season 1, Ghost Rider and Damage Control were canned before even getting a pilot, and we’ve already lost the Netflix shows, Runaways, Cloak & Dagger and Agents of SHIELD.

I mean I’m really looking forward to WandaVision in December, but part of the attraction of the MCU is that it WASN’T ‘one size fits all’.

Now it’s getting that way.

They've canned Runaways and Cloack&Dagger? Yeesh. I never got around to seeing those.

*throws up hands*

Yeah, it's all looking rather sanitized these days.
    Why are we here?

They've canned Runaways and Cloack&Dagger? Yeesh. I never got around to seeing those.

*throws up hands*

Yeah, it's all looking rather sanitized these days.
    C&D was really interesting, and Runaways was hands down the most faithful Marvel adaptation I’ve ever known. Even down to the look of most of the kids. I swear, if you take Molly out of the equation (because they aged her up), if you’d lined the rest of the ‘kids’ (because... y’know, they’re not kids) up and showed a comics fan the photo; with no costumes, fistagons, dinosaurs or staffs, and with zero context or any reference to the show even being produced; that comics fan would look at it and say “Oh, they’re doing a Runaways show? Cool!” How they found those kids is just incredible. Alex, Gert and Nico in particular.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    every princess needs a knight. or in this case, a bodyguard. and princess illandra only has one: akira barbossa.

-pic-
    Very nice.