Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    I mean I'll go back and tag, but this being a surprise is news to me. Far as I was aware, early articles basically spelled this plot point out like, as soon as we knew the reboot was going to happen.
    Speaking for myself, I didn't know any plot points prior to seeing the show beyond vague rumblings that Teela was the main character so it was a surprise to me.

Doesn't hurt to at least try to preserve a notional twist.

Hey, the non-spoilering has saved me the trouble of watching it. I had read literally nothing about this show except that it was a thing. But now I know it’s a Kevin Smith show and that significant plot-point, I think I’ll pass.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Hey, the non-spoilering has saved me the trouble of watching it. I had read literally nothing about this show except that it was a thing. But now I know it’s a Kevin Smith show and that significant plot-point, I think I’ll pass.
    Never fall for the thing. That's how it gets you. Like a Mimic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Never fall for the thing. That's how it gets you. Like a Mimic.
    Those rascally things, eh?

I once found myself and a friend stuck in a room full of things. One thing was at the front making judgments. One thing was accusing us while another thing was defending us. Twelve things were sat at the side weighing up the arguments.

I thought “Hmmm. Oh well, these things are sent to try us.”

hemanmimic2.jpg

:v
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 07-25-2021 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Those rascally things, eh?

I once found myself and a friend stuck in a room full of things. One thing was at the front making judgments. One thing was accusing us while another thing was defending us. Twelve things were sat at the side weighing up the arguments.

I thought “Hmmm. Oh well, these things are sent to try us.”
    One of us always lies.
    The other one always lies.
    You may ask no questions.

Extraordinary Member

Finished reading the Bleach-based novel trilogy Can't Fear Your Own World, written by Ryohgo Narita with input from Kubo.

The story takes place after the battle against Yhwach but before the epilogue chapters with Shuhei Hisagi being the main character and the main villain being on Tokinada Tsunayashiro, a saddistic member of the Soul Society nobility. It's a fun story and a good supplement to the main manga series that focuses on the side characters and it reveals a few secrets regarding the Soul King and Soul Society's original sins.

A few spoiler things.

spoilers:

We get to see two bankai that weren't featured in the manga.

Shinji Hirako's bankai is Sakashima Yokoshima Happōfusagari which inverts the perception of friend and foe for everybody, including Shinji's allies, within the bankai area of effect except for Shinji. So he can only effectively use it when he's alone and facing off against multiple foes at once.

Hisagi unlocks not only his shikai's true ability besides being a cool double scythe with a chain but also his bankai by the end of the story. In shikai the chain itself is the main zanpakuto and its special ability is that can basically keep Hisagi alive and in one piece by linking his body back together with the chain. He still feels the pain and injuries received before he releases the shikai won't be healed, and once he runs out of reiatsu he can't be healed by the shikai anymore. His bankai is Fushi no Kōjō which extends the chain into a massive sphere of entangled chain floating above his head and attaches to his opponent as well. The shikai's restoring capabilities are extended to the opponent so now they're both instantly healed from any injury at the cost of their combined reiatsu pool until they're both drained, basically equalising the battlefield.

One of the bad guys of the story is a massive and ancient hollow who is tough enough to fight 5 quincy sternritters and 7 arrancer (including Grimmjow, Harribel and Neliel) all at once, with the group needing to constantly bombard him to keep up with his regeneration. At the end he's the final enemy standing, at which point Kenpachi (who's been busy with another opponent) one-shots the hollow with his shikai. It's an hilariously abrupt ending IMO.
    end of spoilers

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

i'll give it a watch, since i am a old school he-man fan, and i'll judge it for what it is.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

...Okay, that was a tad cheesy but a whole lot of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post

...Okay, that was a tad cheesy but a whole lot of awesome.
    Thunderbolt Fantasy rules, such a fun show.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Thunderbolt Fantasy rules, such a fun show.
    Yeah, it was fun. I did watch the Pili Fantasy series on Netflix as well and it was quite enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Yeah, it was fun. I did watch the Pili Fantasy series on Netflix as well and it was quite enjoyable.
    Off the back of this, I see there's a season three of Thunderbolt Fantasy I've not seen her. That's my next watching for next week sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Off the back of this, I see there's a season three of Thunderbolt Fantasy I've not seen her. That's my next watching for next week sorted.
    Saw some clips, definitely as enjoyable as always.

I was hoping this series would give me renewed appreciation for He-Man like the 2002 cartoon did, but it's too much of a mixed bag for me to stick with it. Actually, a continuation of the 2002 He-Man would've been great, but I digress. Oh well, I always more of Thundercat kid anyway, so I'll just look forward to Kevin Feige's upcoming TC movie.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I was hoping this series would give me renewed appreciation for He-Man like the 2002 cartoon did, but it's too much of a mixed bag for me to stick with it. Actually, a continuation of the 2002 He-Man would've been great, but I digress. Oh well, I always more of Thundercat kid anyway, so I'll just look forward to Kevin Feige's upcoming TC movie.
    02 he-man is sorely underrated. same with the '12 thundercats.