Page 580 of 2439 FirstFirst ... 8048053057057657757857958058158258358459063068010801580 ... LastLast
Results 8,686 to 8,700 of 36574

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Very small political vent if that's alright.

We've known that Boris Johnson becoming the next Prime Minister has been effectively a matter of time for a long time now and I have been mentally preparing for the fact that my country is going to be ruled by a racist, thuggish, philandering, narcissist for a while now.

But still...

Seeing him win the Tory leadership contest and make a smug speech wherein he praised our former PM for "attempts to bring racial equality to the justice system," left a foul taste in my mouth.

Argh.

I hate the political situation in my country a lot.

I will buy cider on the way home from work. It is that sort of day.

On the upside, functionally nothing has changed within the larger political framework he's coming into as PM. Parliamentary arithmetic hasn't moved, the EU have not changed their position on the negotiations such as they are, the Irish border remains a completely unsolvable situation without the government shifting on it's red lines and so on. This means that Johnson doesn't have command of the House, he can't get a new deal through and he can't really get No Deal to happen either because parliament legislated to block the prorogation that would be required to make that happen.

This means he needs an electoral action to give a mandate for whatever he tries to do. This means a second referendum or a general election.

It grind, as ever, goes on.
    But it’s OK, because in the event of a general election we’ll have Johnson vs Corbyn, with Farrage hanging around like the spectre at the feast. Sure we’ve got Jo Swinson heading up the Lib Dems, but she has approximately 20 minutes senior political experience.

Scotland will presumably go 100% SNP, so the next Scottish independence referendum can’t be far off.

The rest of us are just buggered.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

It's not sounding good for you guys over there in the UK.

Realistically, it's sounding pretty poor everywhere, what with the world really, really not getting its act together re. Climate Crisis, but it's worth mentioning that the current situation in the UK stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    And I fixed it for you.

Of course, it does mean for some of us that we’ll die completely alone and isolated, forgotten by everyone, and probably only discovered weeks later when a neighbour complains about the smell. But hey - every silver lining has a cloud, right?
    That's kind of on my neighbour, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Of further note:

Natalie Portman will be the new Thor (as of "Thor: Love & Thunder" (2021). Which ... why not Valkyrie ?
    The new Dr. Strange, "Doctor Strange: In the Multiverse of Madness" (2021), is to be a horror movie of a kind. I am excited for this one.
    I'm liking the sound of that new Strange movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Also The Mandarin will be in the new Shang-Chi movie, Taskmaster will be in the Black Widow movie, and in the upcoming TV series, Kate Bishop will be in Hawkeye and Monica Rambeau will be in Wanda & Vision.

And we should hopefully get an MCU Fantastic 4.

Also the Star Trek Picard trailer looks way better than I was expecting.
    Will they actually have an Asian Shang Chi? It is a worthy question.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Okay, so apparently my newfound appreciation for the Romance of the Three Kingdoms has a simple reason - Each retelling naturally carries its own spin. The original story actually delved very shallowly into characters. Dynasty Warriors gave us very clear "good, neutral and bad" sides. But the 2010 series above all others humanizes an insanely large cast of characters (with a few exceptions). Liu Bei is given depth and a multi-faceted personality, and he is simply better than most at hiding his personal failings while undeniably rising to many instances of glory and honor as ancient China defined those terms. Cao Cao is the greatest, most cunning and most affable anti-hero/anti-villain that I have ever seen. The 2010 series is rife with good music, epic stories and truly multi-layered stories. It makes Kingdom's portrayal of political intrigue look like a golden age superhero comic.

My one caveat is that, due to the very nature of the story and the time in which it was written, women are necessarily confined to a very narrow set of roles. "Morality" in the story is very Confucian in nature, and one thing I admire about the 2010 version is its willingness to both exhort the virtues and expose the inherent flaws in Confucian morality. The show leaves space for viewers to interpret for themselves, instead focusing on developing its characters and how their motivations and abilities lead to the Three Kingdoms era playing out as it did.

So if you do check out Three Kingdoms, I recommend watching the 2010 series.
    I'll keep this in mind. All I need to do is find the 2010 adaptation, now.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Will they actually have an Asian Shang Chi? It is a worthy question.
    Shang Chi will be played by Simu Liu who was born in Harbin, China and immigrated to Canada at the age of five.

And the true Mandarin will be played by Tony Leung Chiu-wai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Shang Chi will be played by Simu Liu who was born in Harbin, China and immigrated to Canada at the age of five.

And the true Mandarin will be played by Tony Leung Chiu-wai.
    I will watch this.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I said on my podcast that a really weird Dr Strange film and/or a very combat centric Shang Chi film.

It's possible I might get both.

Also Tony Leung Chiu-wai is a ridiculously good get. He's a phenomenal actor.

If they can get Maggie Cheung in there somewhere and I'll be able to imagine that I'm watching some kind of spiritual sequel to Ashes of Time Redux.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 07-23-2019 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    and so ends hinomaru zumou.

while i would've liked a epilogue of sorts, i'm happy with this ending. i do hope for a sequel.
    It was somewhat spoiled by Donald Trump.

[Me] Why?
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Alright, yeah, that's all true and fair.

Kotaro is still the most pathetic character in the manga though.
    Kinda yeah.

His anger and bitterness towards his mother is sort of understandable. But letting it out on his children is inexcusable and ultimately his actions led to his own doom. Or, I guess it depends on wether All For One did give little Tenko his decay quirk or not.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    It was somewhat spoiled by Donald Trump.

[Me] Why?
    he's not in it much and frankly, he's far too well mannered compared to the real deal.

still nothing beats his appearance in baki.

a movie about one of the greatest women in American history, Harriet Tubman.
    Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 07-23-2019 at 02:17 PM.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Top Gun sequel!

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    and shocker didn't really do that much to peter to warrant that reaction. it was all the suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Kinda yeah.

His anger and bitterness towards his mother is sort of understandable. But letting it out on his children is inexcusable and ultimately his actions led to his own doom. Or, I guess it depends on wether All For One did give little Tenko his decay quirk or not.
    Speaking of Mr.Faceless, I have to wonder if he should've been involved even before Kotaro's breakdown. Like, say he had a minion with a shapeshifting quirk kidnap Kotaro, kill him and replace him, with orders from AFO to focus on the kids, leading to Tomura eventually waking up the Decay Quirk, which may or may not have been given to him by AFO in secret as well in this hypothetical scenario, which killed the Shimuras. And the hypothetical shapeshifter minion but it's not like AFO cares all that much anyway when he's got a potential powerhouse like Tomura now.

All this as a giant f-k you to Nana and All Might. Seems like something he'd do.

Anyway, just a hypothetical scenario.

Onto a different topic, brotherhood!

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

More Shark Cinder: https://i.imgur.com/AHn17Kf.jpg
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator