The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Well, Tumblr’s mostly irrelevant -
    Blasphemy!

It’s the only social media site I’m on.

… Also, the hellsite is currently getting a massive amount of people coming back from Twitter.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    It should say something about how things have devolved that Reddit is generally considered among the best platforms with regards to experience/dodging toxicity in terms of the social media landscape today
    Dear Sweet Mother of Media! Really?!

Next people will be advocating 4chan as a safe space.
    Chief Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Blasphemy!

It’s the only social media site I’m on.

… Also, the hellsite is currently getting a massive amount of people coming back from Twitter.
    The only one of those mentioned on which I have an (essentially unused) account is Reddit.

Never been on the rest. Don’t intend to.

(But I am on Discord, in very specific servers only.)
    Chief Curmudgeon

The only one of those mentioned on which I have an (essentially unused) account is Reddit.

Never been on the rest. Don’t intend to.
    On Tumblr for photos and language. . Japanese learning blogs.

Yes…*sighs*. Will someday work up the energy to go back on discord.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Dead Meat is making a movie.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Dear Sweet Mother of Media! Really?!

Next people will be advocating 4chan as a safe space.
    I don't really care for Reddit, myself, but they've really been cracking down over there the last few years.

I mean, they still got problems, but with how garbage search engines and "help" articles are becoming, it's sometimes the only reliable place to go to get information I need quicker than trying to scour several YouTube videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I figure once it starts getting breached, and location data gets leaked (causing predictable results) among other things, there might be a heavier move away from the site. At the same time however, I feel like the net gain of a free "public square" will outweigh the fear of it tanking. That said, a lot of people, and companies are focusing on posting more on sites like Instagram and Facebook, so at the very least they're mindful of the potential for it completely collapsing.
    Hmmm, yeah. Guess it's anybody's bet at this point.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 11-18-2022 at 09:43 PM.

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Yeah, this was the other stuff I was trying to wrangle how to present before I gave up on it.

To a degree, the loss of many basic needs would be remarkably freeing, and if you don't need to pay for most bills, there goes the need for most of where people's money goes these days. However, the single most important need of zombified humanity (beyond getting their bodies reinforced) would be shelter; damage from the elements and violence becomes the foremost concern. Ergo, land and property/infrastructure become the biggest things people would battle over. On the plus side, people could now live in areas previously too hostile to do so. Untethered from needing water, expansion into the deserts and deep wilderness might be viable. Arctic conditions are still a worry, though, as the body can still freeze over.

The problem of people literally breaking apart from wear and tear does mean corporate overlords will quickly find attempting to work their workers twenty-four/seven is going to quickly result in violent revolt as they will literally rip through factory workers in a matter of a few months, and no matter how destitute a person gets, I don't think everyone is going to be willing to throw themselves into a literal meat grinder just to afford a nice television. A place to bunker down during a tornado or sandstorm? Absolutely, and if anything, slumlords are going to be the real opportunists, probably, as well as some grifters who try to hold the medical industry for ransom, and attempts to control resource flow by making sure people's mechanical reinforcement is made with planned obsolescence.

I do think the sheer need for survival will push people to cooperate in the short term to getting a good chunk of the population stabilized, but you're right, after that, it could be a brutal time of realigning priorities, and power hungry people trying to find ways to leverage the few things people still actually need to secure their positions. Then, once the needs are largely taken care of, that's when materialism swings back into focus.

I dunno, its one of several spec fic stories I still have on the backburner I may or may not get around to.
    Thought up some other things. Babies and kids are no zombies too, forever stunted in growth. New parents are left to take care of a baby who will never grow up and be dependent on them forever. Kids are stuck in perpetual childhoods. And don't forget the elderly, people in their twilight years who even with the aches and pains of old age gone as zombies aren't in the best of health still. They'll need to be taken care of, although an aged population that never dies and is never replaced by the newer old generation and is reliant on welfare may spark up some ageism protests from the young worked class. Though like you mentioned that's well after the first several years or decades later. And there's people on death's bed who now can't die but being zombified doesn't make them better. Plus people still get injured, but medical care becomes more complicated when flesh can't heal. Sure with dead bodies many reasons to get surfers no longer apply, but some still do - like putting in screws and plates for badly broken bones.

Honestly the best setting for the first year or two of that disaster might be a hospital.

I've had to come to a lot of self-flagellating realizations myself over the years. It can be a rough time.
    How'd you get past them? You don't have to share if it's uncomfortable though.

I get this problem a lot, myself. :V

Makes me think back on how many of the old, classic sci-fi books these days read like, "So here's this really cool idea for a setting I had", and the whole "story" is a bunch of cardboard cut-out scientist archetypes wandering around, commenting on what they see. Rough reads, but fascinating ideas. I feel like that style of story just doesn't have the audience it used to, though, as most fictions really focus heavily on drama or comedy, so you really need that over just having a neat idea. I think that sort of "idea story" writing has mostly migrated its way into TTRPG books.
    Yeah, shame I'm not really into TTRPG books or I might have something - I honestly have a stupid amount of setting and scenario ideas to fill up a library of such books. But I don't really have the passion for that kind of material to make something like that. Also they all require technical rules and things for how the gameplay works and that's really not my wheelhouse.

I liked discord, played a lot of dnd there and found a couple comforting communities there. But I don't really use it anymore.

Yes…*sighs*. Will someday work up the energy to go back on discord.
    Why do you need the energy? Something wrong with discord?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Why do you need the energy? Something wrong with discord?
    It's a chat program. Therein lies the issue. Note: this issue is MY issue with Discord - I completely get it works for other people.

So Discord would be used right now for two things I find interesting: Online gaming and Discussion of Interests.

For the latter, that means if I'm going there to discuss something I find interesting, I need to take a huge amount of time sitting and going through all kinds of conversation in order to glean information I am looking for. It's not like a forum, where I can go and look at stuff at my leisure. I absolutely MUST go on or the conversation/discussion gets so long and unwieldy that it's a frustration for me to work my way through and find interesting tidbits.

For the former, Discord RPGing is NOT play-by-post. It's more like a version of tabletop (real-time). However, it's a pale shadow of tabletop for me in that there's no actual tone, body language, or anything. And if someone really tries to put in loads of writing for that, Play-by-Post style, they'll quickly find that the game has left them behind, real-time. Additionally, since it's real-time, it means people absolutely must show up for the 'game session'. I don't have time for that in my own, daily life on a regular basis, so even if I do play I'll be left behind. All of which basically means that I like Tabletop sessions (still do them), I like Play-by-Post (love it), but do not enjoy Discord games.

So even though I know there's good stuff and good people on Discord, the idea of going on is rather exhausting. Take, for example, the Anima RPG Discord. There's really good information on there, really nice people, it's awesome. But maaaaan, do I have problems motivating myself to go back to it. I was so much happier when it was forums.

I expect I will go back at some point.
    Why are we here?

For the latter, that means if I'm going there to discuss something I find interesting, I need to take a huge amount of time sitting and going through all kinds of conversation in order to glean information I am looking for. It's not like a forum, where I can go and look at stuff at my leisure. I absolutely MUST go on or the conversation/discussion gets so long and unwieldy that it's a frustration for me to work my way through and find interesting tidbits.
    This is still partly the case, but (at least on the Anima Discord) some of the lore topics and rules questions are now broken out as individual separate threads, so the conversation doesn’t get lost, doesn’t move fast and is all focused on the topic in question. So that helps.

For the former, Discord RPGing is NOT play-by-post. It's more like a version of tabletop (real-time). However, it's a pale shadow of tabletop for me in that there's no actual tone, body language, or anything. And if someone really tries to put in loads of writing for that, Play-by-Post style, they'll quickly find that the game has left them behind, real-time. Additionally, since it's real-time, it means people absolutely must show up for the 'game session'. I don't have time for that in my own, daily life on a regular basis, so even if I do play I'll be left behind. All of which basically means that I like Tabletop sessions (still do them), I like Play-by-Post (love it), but do not enjoy Discord games.
    Actually, Discord RP can be exactly like the long-form RP stuff you’re used to. In fact, in the Anima game I’m in (Mob’s game), it’s exactly that.

Built-in dice roller, uploading character sheets, private threads for solo personal side-quests or when the party splits etc.

Ironically, the extreme pace is one of the main reasons I’ve dropped out of an RPG here and avoided them here since (I’d have loved to have continued playing my megalomaniac psychic armadillo in Cleric’s game, but I knew I was never going to keep up).

I don’t have that problem at all in Discord.

I guess it depends on the group in which you’re playing or the way that GM runs it. *shrugs*
    Chief Curmudgeon

Extraordinary Member

I kinda like the CGI, but I understand why others might not.

Turtle Power!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Actually, Discord RP can be exactly like the long-form RP stuff you’re used to. In fact, in the Anima game I’m in (Mob’s game), it’s exactly that.

Built-in dice roller, uploading character sheets, private threads for solo personal side-quests or when the party splits etc.

Ironically, the extreme pace is one of the main reasons I’ve dropped out of an RPG here and avoided them here since (I’d have loved to have continued playing my megalomaniac psychic armadillo in Cleric’s game, but I knew I was never going to keep up).

I don’t have that problem at all in Discord.

I guess it depends on the group in which you’re playing or the way that GM runs it. *shrugs*
    Use Discord for most of my stuff. Also keeping up with folks.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Ah, good memories of being blasted to pieces in Siriel's Anima game all those years ago
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Ah, good memories of being blasted to pieces in Siriel's Anima game all those years ago
    Alas poor Preston. Gone too soon.

Still remember him fumbling his first Stealth check, and stepping on every twig while creeping towards a town wall (I forget the why, but not the what).
    Chief Curmudgeon