Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

New avatar because Kill Six Billion Demons might be one of the best comics I've ever read.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    New avatar because Kill Six Billion Demons might be one of the best comics I've ever read.
    Comic? Manga?

Nevermind, found it!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Comic? Manga?

Nevermind, found it!
    I'll add that I don't think it's for everyone.

It's definitely conceptually way the **** out there and doesn't slow down much but it is exactly my sort of thing.

The only problem with it is that it's so good and shares a certain amount of DNA with things I want to write that it literally intimidates me in how good it is.

Meanwhile in One Punch-Man...

Umm...

So...

spoilers:
    That was Blast actually on camera doing stuff and laying foundation for a larger plot that, AS YET, does not exist in the webcomic at all. This is pretty huge
    end of spoilers

The divergence grows ever stronger.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

The only problem with it is that it's so good and shares a certain amount of DNA with things I want to write that it literally intimidates me in how good it is.
    Reminds me of reading Erikson.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

That's interesting.

What constitutes a cyberpunk story in your eyes? Western, I can more understand having an aversion to the genre as a whole as it has a somewhat more rigid set of storytelling conventions attached to it.

Cyberpunk though tends to be a lot broader in terms of what kinds of stories are counted within the genre. Like Neuromancer and AKIRA are both ostensibly cyberpunk narratives but are telling wildly different stories and doing very different things.

I suppose a better question would be what don't you like about the cyberpunk genre, however you define it, haha.
    Hmm, that's a good question actually.

I looked up a list stories and franchises that are classified as cyberpunk to see if I could suss it out. But I found works that I enjoy but don't immediately see as cyberpunk. For example, Batman Beyond (love that show, have the blu-ray collection), The Matrix (I'm always down to watch anyone of the movies or the whole trilogy, I have some small amounts of fond nostalgia for it) and The Fifth Element (weird and really fun). It makes sense that these are cyberpunk stories, but they were never really sold to me as such so I didn't log them in that category.

It's a few of the big cyberpunk stories that people and pop culture in general told me that I really had to see because they were great and genre defining that just kinda fell flat to me. I saw one of the many versions of Blade Runner a few years ago and it had some interesting ideas but overall I was just kinda underwhelmed, and then Blade Runner 2049 came out and I saw and I felt absolutely nothing walking out of the theatre, it was a movie and that was it. And I had a similar experience with Tron and Tron: Legacy except it was worse because I found them both to be super boring.

I do like AKIRA, it's a fascinating story and the animation is amazing, but I think that I was expecting more of a personal revelation upon viewing since it's so praised, but ultimately I just found it be a really good movie.

So the issue seems to be that I've had a narrow view of cyberpunk as whole, based mainly on me not liking movies that have sold to me as great cyberpunk while labelling other works that are cyberpunk, or contain cyberpunk elements, as something else. I will have to redefine my idea of cyberpunk it seems.

Extraordinary Member

I don't know if I would call it one of the best comics, but it's certainly fun and I am enjoying super high concept stuff.

It kinda demands multiple read throughs just to catch everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Hmm, that's a good question actually.

I looked up a list stories and franchises that are classified as cyberpunk to see if I could suss it out. But I found works that I enjoy but don't immediately see as cyberpunk. For example, Batman Beyond (love that show, have the blu-ray collection), The Matrix (I'm always down to watch anyone of the movies or the whole trilogy, I have some small amounts of fond nostalgia for it) and The Fifth Element (weird and really fun). It makes sense that these are cyberpunk stories, but they were never really sold to me as such so I didn't log them in that category.

It's a few of the big cyberpunk stories that people and pop culture in general told me that I really had to see because they were great and genre defining that just kinda fell flat to me. I saw one of the many versions of Blade Runner a few years ago and it had some interesting ideas but overall I was just kinda underwhelmed, and then Blade Runner 2049 came out and I saw and I felt absolutely nothing walking out of the theatre, it was a movie and that was it. And I had a similar experience with Tron and Tron: Legacy except it was worse because I found them both to be super boring.

I do like AKIRA, it's a fascinating story and the animation is amazing, but I think that I was expecting more of a personal revelation upon viewing since it's so praised, but ultimately I just found it be a really good movie.

So the issue seems to be that I've had a narrow view of cyberpunk as whole, based mainly on me not liking movies that have sold to me as great cyberpunk while labelling other works that are cyberpunk, or contain cyberpunk elements, as something else. I will have to redefine my idea of cyberpunk it seems.
    Interesting take! I would advise reading the manga of AKIRA because it's... well a complete story and hits a lot harder than the film.

The film is excellent and ridiculously beautiful but the plot and character arcs in the manga are more in-depth and complete.

I also did not care for either Blade Runner much either. 2049 felt like it squandered a lot of opportunity by trying to tie itself back into the first one which I didn't feel like it needed to do.

I don't know if I would call it one of the best comics, but it's certainly fun and I am enjoying super high concept stuff.

It kinda demands multiple read throughs just to catch everything.
    Like I said, perhaps not for everyone but it's aggressively my ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Reminds me of reading Erikson.
    All fuel for the creative furnace though. ^_^

Reading KSBD has made me attack my comic with renewed vigor.

Alright, since I'm almost done with my comic work and I'm keen to challenge myself a bit, I'm opening up...

Let's go three commission slots.

They won't be as high quality as Gen because he's generally a better artist than I am and he took more time on them than I'm intending to lol.

Okay, so first three claims after this post get a commission of a character, ideally an OC, of their choosing. Respond here on PM if you are interested.

Let me know.

1. Jcogg
    2. Dark Soul #7
    3. Tami
    Gen Slot.

(Gen gets a priority slot if he wants one because I owe him for the others, so he gets a special slot.)
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 01-25-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Alright, since I'm almost done with my comic work and I'm keen to challenge myself a bit, I'm opening up...

They won't be as high quality as Gen because he's generally a better artist than I am and he took more time on them than I'm intending to lol.

Okay, so first three claims after this post get a commission of a character, ideally an OC, of their choosing. Respond here on PM if you are interested.

Let me know.

Gen Slot.

(Gen gets a priority slot if he wants one because I owe him for the others, so he gets a special slot.)
    I'll send you a PM with my character

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I'll send you a PM with my character
    aye aye, list update.

2 slots left

Extraordinary Member

Let me know.

1. Jcogg
    Gen Slot.

I'm interested but I'm about to go to bed. Is it alright if I send in a description tomorrow?

I'm interested but I'm about to go to bed. Is it alright if I send in a description tomorrow?
    Yarp, you in.

Let me know.

1. Jcogg
    2. Dark Soul #7
    Gen Slot.

If there is still an opening, I'd like to submit something. Though not until tomorrow.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.