Page 773 of 2454 FirstFirst ... 27367372376376977077177277377477577677778382387312731773 ... LastLast
Results 11,581 to 11,595 of 36799
    BANNED

The Netflix adaptation wasn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    This is a thing? Why does this exist? Why? *drops to his knees and raises fists to the sky* WHHHHY?!
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

looks like something happened with spoony. not sure what but his last livewire was hella depressive. he said he was moving. when someone asked where he was moving, he simply said "i'm moving.....out."

i know people here don't like him but still.........breaks my heart to see him like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    This is a thing? Why does this exist? Why? *drops to his knees and raises fists to the sky* WHHHHY?!
    It's not. That's Sky High. It was a pretty fun standalone movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    The movie is called Sky High, and is about the son, who doesn't have powers of his own (at first), of the most popular/powerful superhero.

... It came out nine years before My Hero Academia.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    The movie is called Sky High, and is about the son, who doesn't have powers of his own (at first), of the most popular/powerful superhero.

it's actually pretty good.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post

It's also awkwardly a movie that comes off being pro eugenics.

Which is... fuckin' yikes. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    It's also awkwardly a movie that comes off being pro eugenics.

Which is... fuckin' yikes. XD
    Yeah, it does. Also has some caste elements that are never really talked about. With the castes being 'Superhero', 'Sidekick', and 'Civilian'. Superheroes are the top caste, getting the best of everything. Sidekicks get shoddy things and are considered unimportant and forgettable. Civilians aren't discussed much, but they do casually mention that they only recently stopped using them as live dummies for hero training.

And the villain is a woman-turned-teen whose superpower (technomancy) was deemed worthless and she was made a sidekick during her first time going through school.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Yeah, it does. Also has some caste elements that are never really talked about. With the castes being 'Superhero', 'Sidekick', and 'Civilian'. Superheroes are the top caste, getting the best of everything. Sidekicks get shoddy things and are considered unimportant and forgettable. Civilians aren't discussed much, but they do casually mention that they only recently stopped using them as live dummies for hero training.

And the villain is a woman-turned-teen whose superpower (technomancy) was deemed worthless and she was made a sidekick during her first time going through school.
    Well, the existence of the caste system in the story isn't inherently problematic. It's more that the movie makes the bizarre choice to just not address this issue as being a problem.

Protagonist initially has no powers and becomes a sidekick, he then discovers that sidekicks are good people and useful in their own right, making friends and suchlike. He also experiences how sidekicks are treated by society is bad and unfair. But when he gets his own incredibly strong superpowers this unfair treatment the movie loses all interest in this narrative strand and the disparity in society is never really addressed in any great detail.

Like, by all means have a society wherein social status is dictated by genetic "superiority" but it's a very weird move to come down on the side of "Yes, this is fine actually," for your message.

I'll link to the Jack Saint video that covers this in some depth, it's a fun watch:

Last edited by Nik Hasta; 12-29-2019 at 12:34 PM.

new one piece out.

roger's final journey has come to an end. we get to see a lot of familiar places. and finally, they reached the finally island and why it's called "laugh tale".

also, it's hilarious why buggy and shanks didn't get to go with them.

but it seems joyboy is way more important that we realized.
    Last edited by master of read; 12-29-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

To clarify, Murayama (dude with the headband) took essentially 100 punches (...Though I guess you can add getting hit by weapons as well) in order to become the leader of Oya KouKou...Then proceeded to beat up everyone in the room not long after.

...As a feat, how insane of a damage soak is that? I'm kinda wondering bout that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post

To be fair the film didn't seem to portray that whole thing all that posativ a light. Those in the "superhero" class were painted as arogant bullies, who were easily turned to villainy, and even the system of sorting what people go into seemed to be broken sincequite a few of the sidekicks turned out to actualy be pretty powerful.

BANNED

So I know G1 Transformers, has allways been full of plot holes. But Omega Supreme was basicly like the combiners but better. So how the hell were the Decepticons were winning the war when there was an army of Omegas for them to deal with?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    new one piece out.

roger's final journey has come to an end. we get to see a lot of familiar places. and finally, they reached the finally island and why it's called "laugh tale".

also, it's hilarious why buggy and shanks didn't get to go with them.

but it seems joyboy is way more important that we realized.
    Note that the official translation won't be out until Jan. 6th