Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fervidor View Post
    I've been thinking about Batman and super-powers. Would it really be a problem if Batman had them?
    Yes.

I'm reasonably certain that one of the main underlying appeals of Batman is that he's technically just a dude in the sense that nothing he has is really outside of what's possible for a normal person to get in-universe. Give him something that's... not that (like superpowers) and it just doesn't feel right, even if for all practical purposes it really changes nothing but presentation.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

I've been thinking about Batman and super-powers. Would it really be a problem if Batman had them? Like, people often say him having no actual powers is essential to his characters but I'm not convinced that's true.

I mean, obviously you don't want to give him very extreme powers like Superman or whatever. But if you keep him relatively street level, and he still largely relies on his brains, skill and gadgets, I think the concept would still work fine even if he had some lesser superhuman abilities.

Let's say before becoming Batman, Bruce undergoes some sort of experiment that gives him a Captain America-style boosted physique, very fast reflexes, a decent healing factor, enhanced senses (sonar hearing?), a greatly reduced need for sleep and heightened intelligence with the ability to think very fast and learn new skills very quickly. Then he goes and does all the stuff he did to become Batman in the first place.

If anything that would just make all the stuff he's capable of anyway more believable.
    Pretty sure that would get you Arkham Batman.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Uh Yugi? I think you broke him.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Uh Yugi? I think you broke him.
    LittleKuriboh honestly doesn't have to do much modification to him for the abridged series

I've been thinking about Batman and super-powers. Would it really be a problem if Batman had them? Like, people often say him having no actual powers is essential to his characters but I'm not convinced that's true.

I mean, obviously you don't want to give him very extreme powers like Superman or whatever. But if you keep him relatively street level, and he still largely relies on his brains, skill and gadgets, I think the concept would still work fine even if he had some lesser superhuman abilities.

Let's say before becoming Batman, Bruce undergoes some sort of experiment that gives him a Captain America-style boosted physique, very fast reflexes, a decent healing factor, enhanced senses (sonar hearing?), a greatly reduced need for sleep and heightened intelligence with the ability to think very fast and learn new skills very quickly. Then he goes and does all the stuff he did to become Batman in the first place.

If anything that would just make all the stuff he's capable of anyway more believable.
    I dunno, people have been clowning on Captain America for years for being "Peak Human", like as a posterboy for steroids who's manufactured. It's led to many stories where the question is if his qualities as a hero are innate or injected.

Batman is similar. While, broadly, having no powers may not be essential to his portrayal, I think it is an aspect of Bruce Wayne's character that highlights the sheer obsessiveness that goes into his capabilities as a superhero.

No it's not 'realistic', but what gets him over as plausible in the narrative is the innate drive of his personal crusade that's elevated him to this level.

Curious, have we done Dead Fantasy VS RWBY before?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Now I want to see a scene where inhumanly strong person does a neck lift and than tips over, because physics.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Watching WandaVision it's fine so far, although you have to actually enjoy sitcom comedy that it pastiche to get it.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

A ghost from the past. Fervidor's Avatar

Well, my mom's cat just died. I don't mean we just found him dead, I mean he literally just died, like half an hour ago. Apparently he just fell over right outside the house, probably from cardiac arrest. We lost his brother pretty much the same way last year, maybe it was a genetic thing. I put him in a box and I swear it was like picking up a living cat. Little guy was still warm.

Mom is pretty used to this sort of thing, but she really liked that cat so she's still kinda upset. Which sucks, because she has more than enough to worry about. I haven't mentioned this yet but turns out she has inoperable cancer. We found out a couple of days before Christmas. On the same day we had to put our dog down. (Also cancer, goddammit.)

This has been sort of an awful start of the year, is what I'm basically saying.
    Last edited by Fervidor; 01-17-2021 at 11:06 AM.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson.

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck.

Well, my mom's cat just died. I don't mean we just found him dead, I mean he literally just died, like half an hour ago. Apparently he just fell over right outside the house, probably from cardiac arrest. We lost his brother pretty much the same way last year, maybe it was a genetic thing. I put him in a box and I swear it was like picking up a living cat. Little guy was still warm.

Mom is pretty used to this sort of thing, but she really liked that cat so she's still kinda upset. Which sucks, because she has more than enough to worry about. I haven't mentioned this yet but turns out out she has inoperable cancer. We found out a couple of days before Christmas. On the same day we had to put our dog down. (Also cancer, goddammit.)

This has been sort of an awful start of the year, is what I'm basically saying.
    Man, I’m sorry buddy. That’s awful. My thoughts are with you and your family. Take care of yourselves.

A ghost from the past. Fervidor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Man, I’m sorry buddy. That’s awful. My thoughts are with you and your family. Take care of yourselves.
    Thanks. I have to say, I sure picked the right time to start taking anti-depressants.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson.

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck.

Extraordinary Member

One Piece: I love the banter between Luffy, Kidd and Law. The action is just fantastic and the stupid humor is on point. That final large panel of everybody gearing up for the real smackdown now that they've traded some initial blows is boss.

Black Clover: We get Jack's backstory right in time for him to show off how his magic is. And some further insight in how Nacht uses his devils in a fight is nice.

My Hero Academia: ...everything is just bad now and it keeps getting worse. I kinda love it... but I also want to go back to some chill super hero school shenanigans... so I'm a bit conflicted.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

So yeah, recently won a slot for free sketch commissions and it finally came in.

Kyoko Hino by AchanDraws.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    So yeah, recently won a slot for free sketch commissions and it finally came in.

Kyoko Hino by AchanDraws.

goddamn. that's great stuff to get.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    goddamn. that's great stuff to get.
    Thanks. The artist is pretty cool as well so wished him the best.

At the moment planning out more background material about her Dad's subtle rise to infamy, the running joke in the main story being that their martial arts dojo is being mistaken for something akin to Cobra Kai.