Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Not gonna spoil anything since I don't know where you are in the...full week of tournament action (I'll admit that when I said Capcom Cup I was referring more for the top 8 than the whole week) but I think the top 4 of the eventual top 8 (and probably most other matches in top 8) of the final day has some sets that I think are basically game defining stuff.

They're not always the most beautiful games, but they are without a doubt an exemplar of some of the most powerful, honed, and trained players implementing (or being slain by) the most powerful defensive and offensive strategies at the end of SFV's lifespan and I could not have asked for more basically.
    I'm in Top 8 at the moment and some of the matches have been utterly remarkable already, you can really tell how developed and balanced the meta of this game is. If Top 4 is the best, it only means the best it yet to come.

MisterCrimson, Vegapatch, Zhen - just some utterly incredible performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I'm in Top 8 at the moment and some of the matches have been utterly remarkable already, you can really tell how developed and balanced the meta of this game is. If Top 4 is the best, it only means the best it yet to come.

MisterCrimson, Vegapatch, Zhen - just some utterly incredible performances.
    The grand finals is just *chefs kiss* for me
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

I recently read Eden: It's an Endless World. A fantastically drawn series that's basically a bunch of criminal and military faction wars in a cyberpunky future after a weird disease has ravaged the world, and also has a sci-fi heavy B-plot with heavy religious themes. I have mixed feelings. It's very well written, even by seinen manga standards, it really doesn't feel very "manga" given the mostly grounded and global story it tells, characters are generally well fleshed out. It does, however mire itself in a lot of harsh grittiness. Not in a grimdark way, but it doesn't shy away from gore, a lot of the characters fucked up in some way, no one is a hero, etc. It also doesn't shy away from death, though, with a very Game of Thrones approach to "anyone can die at any moment", and is flagrant about sexual relations, although it never seems to actually revel in sex or death or gore like you'd expect from a comic with this much of it present. The mangaka shows a very stark take on the world.

It's honestly not a manga I should have enjoyed storywise, I hate criminal faction war stories, not big on military stuff, don't even care about cyberpunk, thought the humor with the main character and his relationships was forced. but I guess the art entranced me, and a few key characters were well done, and the sci-fi plot was interesting. Hard to say I recommend it, since I can see a lot of turn-off elements there, but maybe look it up.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

Watched the first episode of the new RWBY volume.

I was reminded of how pretty the series can look, both the characters and environments. I liked the brisk pace of the episode. The jokes and dramatic beats all hit just right.

Based on the opening I'm assuming that we're staying in this new place for most of the, if not the entire, season. We'll see how well that's handled. Hopefully we'll get some idea of what happened to the rest of the characters that didn't fall down the abyss.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Kingdom

About bloody time.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Kingdom

About bloody time.
    Hold on now.

spoilers:
    He's not dead yet.

But good have some confirmed kills of named characters.

Wild that Maron is the only member of his crew, Ogiko notwithstanding, that Kanki has decided to save.
    end of spoilers

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Hold on now.

spoilers:
    He's not dead yet.

But good have some confirmed kills of named characters.

Wild that Maron is the only member of his crew, Ogiko notwithstanding, that Kanki has decided to save.
    end of spoilers
    I admit, it's less the former for me and more - finally - the latter, like you say.

spoilers:
    Having looked at the actual 'historical story' of this whole thing, I knew killing Riboku wasn't going to work out. Will they actually get Kanki? It LOOKS that way, especially with the letter and Kanki's suddenly-sympathetic old tribe of buddies effectively joining with the Hi Shin unit. But who can say?
    end of spoilers
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Apparently Kusuriya no Hitorigoto will be getting an anime soon, which leaves Akumetsu as the only one on my top ten manga not to be animated (for a fairly good reason). Judging g by how hit or miss it's been for the other nine, I'm not sure how to feel.

Extraordinary Member

This might be my favourite anime preview in quite a long time.

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I admit, it's less the former for me and more - finally - the latter, like you say.

spoilers:
    Having looked at the actual 'historical story' of this whole thing, I knew killing Riboku wasn't going to work out. Will they actually get Kanki? It LOOKS that way, especially with the letter and Kanki's suddenly-sympathetic old tribe of buddies effectively joining with the Hi Shin unit. But who can say?
    end of spoilers
    Kingdom:

spoilers:
    I still remember Nik responding to a post I made years ago about Kanki's possible death. Something to the effect of "oh no...not Johnny War Crimes. But he's such a...core member of the team...." lol.
    end of spoilers

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Extraordinary Member

Hajime no Ippo: Oof, I hope Sendo doesn't share Wally's fate. But now it's time for the slice of life portion of the manga to take center stage again.

Four Knights of the Apocalypse: Tricky opponents get in the first shots on our heroes. Still a bit unsure how strong Tristan is compared to other characters.