Page 694 of 2439 FirstFirst ... 19459464468469069169269369469569669769870474479411941694 ... LastLast
Results 10,396 to 10,410 of 36575

Ali was named for his father who was named for this Cassius Clay

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Ali was named for his father who was named for this Cassius Clay
    yes indeed

Regarding Cornette, Pat Patterson once said that that each wrestling promotion needs to be treated like a different country and you cant expect what works in one promotion to work in another.

Cornette bases his entire ideas of what will work in wrestling off of what goes over in Louisville Kentucky. he's said so himself. Certain OVW wrestlers got over there, but that didn't translate to other areas and cornette blamed that all on WWE. He even felt Cena's OVW gimmick should have been used and hated most of his wwe run. He refused to watch the rapper gimmick because he was convinced wwe was pissing away talent.
    Really?! The Prototype?! Blech!

I mean I’m pretty far from a Cena fan, but that gimmick was horrible and he was so much better without it.

Also, if you base everything on what’s acceptable in Kentucky, there’d be a lot more married cousins in the world (joking!!).

This was unrelated, I just needed to rant about this
    To be honest, it’s that urge (to spontaneously rant about something apropos of nothing) that is Cornette’s problem. Everyone is usually like “Uh... thanks Jim, but we... err... didn’t ask that. And don’t care what you think about it.”

He’s the Alan Moore of wrestling, except he made a less significant contribution.

Cornette also has stated that his thinks cruiserweight divisions are a waste of time and wont draw because they are too small... This isn't something he said years ago either. He said that this week.
    To be fair, Vince also thinks this. I always get the feeling 205 Live is in spite of Vince, rather than because of him. And 205 Live ratings kinda back up Cornette’s point.

I mean, I love the Cruisers, but even I don’t watch 205 Live, because there are 8 whole hours of other WWE programming (RAW, Smackdown, NXT, NXT UK) and numerous other non-wrestling shows each week before I’d get to it (and I don’t include Main Event), and that’s in a non-PPV week.

He also has a tendency to try and take credit for stuff he had nothing to do with
    There’s a lot of that about. Heyman can be guilty of that (and I love Heyman). So can Prichard (and Prichard rarely takes the blame for anything he WAS involved with that isn’t popular).

Meanwhile, while not being a particular fan of WCW, I tend to find Bischoff gets blamed for a lot of stuff he had nothing to do with.
    Last edited by Beadle; 10-13-2019 at 03:22 AM.

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

BANNED

Regarding Cornette, Pat Patterson once said that that each wrestling promotion needs to be treated like a different country and you cant expect what works in one promotion to work in another.

Cornette bases his entire ideas of what will work in wrestling off of what goes over in Louisville Kentucky. he's said so himself. Certain OVW wrestlers got over there, but that didn't translate to other areas and cornette blamed that all on WWE. He even felt Cena's OVW gimmick should have been used and hated most of his wwe run. He refused to watch the rapper gimmick because he was convinced wwe was pissing away talent.

This was unrelated, I just needed to rant about this

ETA

Cornette also has stated that his thinks cruiserweight divisions are a waste of time and wont draw because they are too small... This isn't something he said years ago either. He said that this week.

He also has a tendency to try and take credit for stuff he had nothing to do with
    I've allways got the impression that the real reason Cornette hates Russo is nothing to do with the million times Russo failed and everything to do with the one time he actualy succeeded. Because even if it was more right place right time than actual skill, even is it was heavily fitered and even if it was just that one time. Russo's trashy tv, still succeeded were Cornette's wrastlin failed. ANd no matter what circumstances it happened under, I can't imagine anything more humiliating for Cornette.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    I've allways got the impression that the real reason Cornette hates Russo is nothing to do with the million times Russo failed and everything to do with the one time he actualy succeeded. Because even if it was more right place right time than actual skill, even is it was heavily fitered and even if it was just that one time. Russo's trashy tv, still succeeded were Cornette's wrastlin failed. ANd no matter what circumstances it happened under, I can't imagine anything more humiliating for Cornette.
    the general idea is that they both hate each other because they each have a idea of what pro wrestling is, what it should be and how it should be booked. and both believe the other is out of touch and not good for the wrestling business.

cornette believes in "history repeats itself", that trends of the past will influence the future. russo believes in swerves and keeping the audience on edge.

that's my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    the general idea is that they both hate each other because they each have a idea of what pro wrestling is, what it should be and how it should be booked. and both believe the other is out of touch and not good for the wrestling business.

cornette believes in "history repeats itself", that trends of the past will influence the future. russo believes in swerves and keeping the audience on edge.

that's my take on it.
    I would say its both of these.

Don't forget, Cornette has failed as a booker numerous times. SMW crashed and burned because he had no clue what he was doing ( and he tried to start a regional territory right as the territory system was completely dying off) and had to get bailed out by vince, who bought it and paid off his debts ( something cornette downplays and likes to pretend he paid of his own debts).
    His only real success as a booker was in OVW but that was an established system already and he clashed with wwe repeatedly because he didn't understand that OVW was a farm league first and tv product second

Now Russo has failed more than he succeeded obviously,, but the small success he had is much more than cornette ever will have...and cornette hates that style of wrestling as you said MOR.

ETA

Russo may have inadvertently revealed to Vince just how out of touch Cornette was becoming with wrestling in the 90's and how his ideas for wwe were failing left and right, whereas Russo's idea worked with Mcmahon as an editor of sorts. That caused cornette to lose his spot of one of Vince's right hand men and began his lengthy decline in wrestling/ I think that's what cornette hates russo for the most
    Last edited by Gryphon; 10-13-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member

They've added Smallville's Green Arrow to Crisis on Infinite Earths.

God damn that crossover is gonna be insane

Gonna get to see me a TV version of Endgame.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    There’s a lot of that about. Heyman can be guilty of that (and I love Heyman). So can Prichard (and Prichard rarely takes the blame for anything he WAS involved with that isn’t popular).

Meanwhile, while not being a particular fan of WCW, I tend to find Bischoff gets blamed for a lot of stuff he had nothing to do with.
    What I mean is, stull like triple threat matches, which cornette promoted after he saw heyman do that and alternated between claiming credit for it and giving credit to heyman before claiming someone else did it first then cornette then heyman ( it was heyman first as I recall).
    He also claims to be the one who discovered Jericho and gave him his start in wrestling.....Jericho had been making a name for himself in Canada, and had wrestled in the US several times before a promoter in Canada arranged for an excursion to SMW for Jericho and lance storm. Jericho stated in his first book, how cornette didn't get his character and kept pushing him as something he wasn't. Cornette claims he tried to get WWE to sign Jericho...what he leaves out is that he tried to get Jericho signed to WWE as a jobber and Jericho turned it down and cornette didn't understand why.

And like I said, he likes to pretend SMW was ahead of the curve and influenced wrestling in the 90's.....it was a generic southern wrasslin promotion and he pissed away numerous chances to keep it going by putting grudges against certain wrestlers ahead of business ( which he still thinks is a healthy attitude), and he likes to downplay that his debts were paid off by Vince McMahon in favor of claiming he covered them all himself

Incidentally, the guy who did get Jericho signed to WWE and put him over as the next shawn michaels…...Vince Russo

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

BANNED

I would say its both of these.

Don't forget, Cornette has failed as a booker numerous times. SMW crashed and burned because he had no clue what he was doing ( and he tried to start a regional territory right as the territory system was completely dying off) and had to get bailed out by vince, who bought it and paid off his debts ( something cornette downplays and likes to pretend he paid of his own debts).
    His only real success as a booker was in OVW but that was an established system already and he clashed with wwe repeatedly because he didn't understand that OVW was a farm league first and tv product second

Now Russo has failed more than he succeeded obviously,, but the small success he had is much more than cornette ever will have...and cornette hates that style of wrestling as you said MOR.

ETA

Russo may have inadvertently revealed to Vince just how out of touch Cornette was becoming with wrestling in the 90's and how his ideas for wwe were failing left and right, whereas Russo's idea worked with Mcmahon as an editor of sorts. That caused cornette to lose his spot of one of Vince's right hand men and began his lengthy decline in wrestling/ I think that's what cornette hates russo for the most
    While this is all true, and Cornette would have been pissed and held a grudge one way or the other, I think the fact that Russo ultimatly got proven right in that situation, made it that much worse for Corny and I don't think his grudge against Russo would have been quite as severe if that wasn't the case.

While this is all true, and Cornette would have been pissed and held a grudge one way or the other, I think the fact that Russo ultimatly got proven right in that situation, made it that much worse for Corny and I don't think his grudge against Russo would have been quite as severe if that wasn't the case.
    As I understand it, Cornette gave vince an ultimatum, either russo goes, or he leaves creative. Russo basically said he was fine leaving creative, but Vince still chose Russo over cornette. That's what Pissed off cornette the most
    Last edited by Gryphon; 10-16-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

...I haven't watched much Vikings these days but wow, I feel the heartstrings being tugged over this video.