Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Marvel used to be so much better at it (except for Beyonder, whose continuity is weird as ****), but that all changed when editorial policy, driven by the aforementioned Brian Michael Bendis, proudly and openly became “**** what’s gone before your run. Just write the stories you want to.”

A lot of people applauded that approach. I hated it.

(DC have always been a bit… bleh… about continuity. Just reboot the entire universe again and it’ll be fine.)
    Basically the main reason why I've just decided to throw my hands in the air and just call it quits with ongoing 616 Marvel.

It's just a mess that's not really fun to follow anymore. Sure, there are probably good runs and stories here and there, but I'm just not into it as an ongoing continuity. Tipping point was really the **** show that's been the Spider-man comics recently.

And that's fine. I have my main cutting off point, bittersweet as it is. And there's always games, cartoons and movies.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Basically the main reason why I've just decided to throw my hands in the air and just call it quits with ongoing 616 Marvel.

It's just a mess that's not really fun to follow anymore. Sure, there are probably good runs and stories here and there, but I'm just not into it as an ongoing continuity. Tipping point was really the **** show that's been the Spider-man comics recently.

And that's fine. I have my main cutting off point, bittersweet as it is. And there's always games, cartoons and movies.
    As someone who dropped off regularly following mainstream comics in...

Oh wow...

Erm... 2006? 2006 is about when I stopped buying/reading issues regularly. One More Day happening really helped cement that decision because I really did not care for that story.

After that I kept buying trades for stuff from the Big Two for a while after. I think I mostly stopped doing that in like... 2016 maybe and had fully pivoted to primarily buying Image, Vertigo, Dark Horse and, increasingly these days, obscure indie comics from small presses.

Last couple of Marvel/DC things I got was Vision: Little Worse Than A Man/Little Better Than A Beast trades and Tom King's Mister Miracle but nothing much beyond that.

But yeah, I got tired of sliding continuity and nothing really being forever and the wild inconsistency between runs depending on authors and artists. At least with manga it's a consistent authorial voice or artistic style which eases things going forward.

I do hope people continue to get stuff out of the comics, there is good stuff in there, but it's not been my thing for a good long while now.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 07-27-2023 at 09:12 AM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Looks good, as expected. But... are they fridging Sypha? It's not clear at all, I just got the impression that they're fridging Sypha.
    Looks sick. Very keen to see it and no Warren Ellis involvement means I feel have no moral qualms about consuming it as media!

As far as fridging goes, if you've played Symphony of the Night the idea of Sypha not getting a happy end isn't a new one. Playing SotN last year having watched the show definitely made that boss fight hit different.

Looks good, as expected. But... are they fridging Sypha? It's not clear at all, I just got the impression that they're fridging Sypha.
    I don't think that's Sypha, that's probably another Speaker magician since it's during the French Revolution indicating this takes place after a significant time skip.

I know this series is a fast and loose adaptation of the source material, which is fine enough, got to make something new out of a pretty thin plotline, but other than Maria summoning the white tiger and a silhouette of Shaft the dark priest, giving this Rondo's aesthetics with what feels like Bloodlines - and Countess Bathory - story seems a bit tacky to me. They might as well call Richter here Jimmy Belmont or something, and they might as well all be original characters.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

shouldn't be sypha at all since trevor is a descendant of trevor and sypha. i know they mess around with the lore but even within that timeline, it shouldn't be her. could be a distant cousin. the belmonts do have a very large extended family.

i was almost at that point when slott, for some stupid reason, retconned franklin into NOT being a mutant anymore and was just pretending to be a mutant.

with a lot of this stuff, it really does feel like "write what you want. history and logic be damned".

about the only stories i find enjoy about from marvel is the current FF run, which is just damn fun.

the baxter building gets sent into the future, which includes their kids: franklin, val, and ben's kids. (yes, ben and alicia have kids. they adopted a kree and skrull)

the FF break up and now, they are on road trip. i did enjoy doom's story in this run. shows off his ego but also shows off how far he was willing to go to save the one person he loves in the world.

More Castlevania Nocturne details.

Of note:

Who’s in Castlevania: Nocturne?
    • Edward Bluemel (Persuasion, The Commuter, The Halcyon) as Richter, the tough young hero who’s continuing the family tradition of vampire hunting
    • Pixie Davies (The Magician’s Elephant, Mary Poppins Returns, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children) as Maria, a natural leader who’s fighting inequality in her country, and also a magic user battling the vampire elite
    • Thuso Mbedu (The Woman King, The Underground Railroad, Is’Thunzi) as Annette, who used her power and wits to escape vampire-enforced enslavement in the Caribbean, and now wields magic to stop the impending apocalyptic threat
    • Sydney James Harcourt (I’m Not Gay: A Musical, Hamilton) as Edouard, who left his life as a talented opera singer to aid and accompany Annette
    • Nastassja Kinski (Inland Empire, Cat People, Paris, Texas) as Tera, a mother and mentor to young vampire hunters and magic users, who has her own share of past trauma to bear
    • Zahn McClarnon (Reservation Dogs, Dark Winds, Fargo) as Olrox, who killed Richter’s mother years ago and now must decide whether he can stomach teaming up with his sworn enemy in order to stop vampiric world domination
    • Franka Potente (Titans, Run Lola Run, The Bourne Identity) as Erzsebet Báthory, aka the one foretold. She’s the queen of vampires, and, if all goes as planned, of the entire world. (Her character is very loosely based on the various folkloric stories and contested histories surrounding a real-life noblewoman.)

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    i was almost at that point when slott, for some stupid reason, retconned franklin into NOT being a mutant anymore and was just pretending to be a mutant.

with a lot of this stuff, it really does feel like "write what you want. history and logic be damned".

about the only stories i find enjoy about from marvel is the current FF run, which is just damn fun.

the baxter building gets sent into the future, which includes their kids: franklin, val, and ben's kids. (yes, ben and alicia have kids. they adopted a kree and skrull)

the FF break up and now, they are on road trip. i did enjoy doom's story in this run. shows off his ego but also shows off how far he was willing to go to save the one person he loves in the world.
    And Moon Knight's current run has been pretty solid overall for the last three years. Eddie has also been getting amazing character development throughout his Venom/King of Black run that I can't see how Marvel can backtrack on making him Peter's nemesis/rival without pulling a OMD scenario.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post

wow. they are actually putting in olrox. that's pretty good. not sure if i like him killing trevor's mom but i'll see where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    And Moon Knight's current run has been pretty solid overall for the last three years. Eddie has also been getting amazing character development throughout his Venom/King of Black run that I can't see how Marvel can backtrack on making him Peter's nemesis/rival without pulling a OMD scenario.
    i saw peeks at eddie during thor's current run. seems pretty interesting.

Record of Ragnarok: I don't know why but i'm just not feeling this match. i did say that about raiden vs. shiva but that was mainly due to my unfamiliarity with both characters. leonidas vs. apollo just feels.........off to me. not sure if its the americanization of leo or the self-aggrandizing of apollo but either way, i'm bored with this fight.

Extraordinary Member

Eh, Continuity in Big 2 comics has always been something the requires people to actively ignore a ton of problems. Hard continuity is impossible as long as the sliding timeline exists.

Take the Post-Crisis DC Comics for example. In continuity, Jason Todd died. That never changed. But the storyline that was original published about his death sure as hell did. That story involved the Joker being hired by the Ayatollah. That **** didn't stay canon.

Widely Disliked stories like the one where the Terrigen mists were lethal to Mutants are especially prone to getting changed. Remember when Hal Jordan went psycho and slaughtered all the Green Lanterns? Well now he was posessed by a space bug.

Ultimately, you have to take comics on a run by run basis. No comic Run has ever been fully consistent with what came before it, so the most you can reasonably expect is internal consistency within the run

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Eh, Continuity in Big 2 comics has always been something the requires people to actively ignore a ton of problems. Hard continuity is impossible as long as the sliding timeline exists.

Take the Post-Crisis DC Comics for example. In continuity, Jason Todd died. That never changed. But the storyline that was original published about his death sure as hell did. That story involved the Joker being hired by the Ayatollah. That **** didn't stay canon.

Widely Disliked stories like the one where the Terrigen mists were lethal to Mutants are especially prone to getting changed. Remember when Hal Jordan went psycho and slaughtered all the Green Lanterns? Well now he was posessed by a space bug.

Ultimately, you have to take comics on a run by run basis. No comic Run has ever been fully consistent with what came before it, so the most you can reasonably expect is internal consistency within the run
    that's not an excuse for bad writing. and what they are doing with kamala is bad and lazy.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Also is a perfectly valid reason for deciding ‘I, myself, no longer enjoy comics.’
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I have erred.

107 is warm.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I have erred.

107 is warm.
    107 in Alaska?
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie