Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    He's coming for you Lan Di!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Don't give up Gen!

It's not the originality that makes a story good, it's the execution of that idea and the way you use that concepts.

Write it anyway, even if you don't put it out, it'll be good to explore the ideas.

The short comic I'm working on at the moment (which I will put out this year, BELIEVE IT) is literally "Psychic Force 2012 with a bit of Final Fantasy VII in there mixed with X/1999," It specifically is not clever or original but it's fun to write and a good test bed for my workflows of making a larger comic in the future.

Originality is way overrated.
    Oh I won't give up, but elements of this story have been fermenting in my mind for years now, so it's kinda discouraging to, effectively, see someone beat you to the punch even if you were never a contender in the first place.

But regardless how I feel about it, the story effectively doesn't exist if it's not available to read, now does it?

Who knows, maybe there will be some catharsis if the work ever gets done after dayjob hours, and looking forward to your project materializing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Agreed with the above. REGARDLESS of whether or not it has been done, it will have your own spin on it. And it may evolve in a different direction as it is written.

Fiction is derivative. Can't get away from that; even if one doesn't have any inspirations, there's a guarantee someone will be able to find something, somewhere, that 'did it before'. But that thing won't be YOURS.
    Well, this is a logical way of looking at it, really. Sorta thaws the rigid mindset a bit.

Now, if only we can drift forward into 'finish the damn thing', you know? That's a grind on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Yeah, don’t give up Gen! All stories have similar elements to previous stories, that’s just an inescapable fact. It’s how you TELL the story that makes it worthwhile. Like Nik said, the story is inherently different because it’s YOU telling the story.
    Honestly I think it's a - very far-fetched and egotistical, admittedly - combination of missing the boat as an originator combined with the fear of being a hack fraud lol

OTOH, can't even be a fraud if the content isn't pushed out, right? Better execute one of these days.

Thanks, appreciate the encouragement guys.

It suddenly occurs to me that Shenmue will be 23 years old this year, and it was, 23 years ago, ahead of its time in terms of interactivity, scenic detail, and mechanics of a world with day/night cycles, changing seasons, and specific event triggers.

Then I remember much of the game is spent searching town for Chinese people and sailors, rooting around your dad's closet for his correspondence to Triads, hanging out with the hot dog vendor, going to your part time job at the docks, and playing Space Harrier.

Frankly, selling this adaptation with action clips might be somewhat disingenuous, unless Yu Suzuki is trying to finally get this story over and done with.

...I never played Part 2 though, did things get better when Ryo went to Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    It suddenly occurs to me that Shenmue will be 23 years old this year, and it was, 23 years ago, ahead of its time in terms of interactivity, scenic detail, and mechanics of a world with day/night cycles, changing seasons, and specific event triggers.

Then I remember much of the game is spent searching town for Chinese people and sailors, rooting around your dad's closet for his correspondence to Triads, hanging out with the hot dog vendor, going to your part time job at the docks, and playing Space Harrier.

Frankly, selling this adaptation with action clips might be somewhat disingenuous, unless Yu Suzuki is trying to finally get this story over and done with.

...I never played Part 2 though, did things get better when Ryo went to Hong Kong?
    spoilers:

There's three games out so far and he still hasn't beaten Lan Di. Ryo only fights him at the end of the 3rd Game and Lan Di styled all over him.
    end of spoilers
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Extraordinary Member

Oh I won't give up, but elements of this story have been fermenting in my mind for years now, so it's kinda discouraging to, effectively, see someone beat you to the punch even if you were never a contender in the first place.

But regardless how I feel about it, the story effectively doesn't exist if it's not available to read, now does it?

Who knows, maybe there will be some catharsis if the work ever gets done after dayjob hours, and looking forward to your project materializing as well.

Well, this is a logical way of looking at it, really. Sorta thaws the rigid mindset a bit.

Now, if only we can drift forward into 'finish the damn thing', you know? That's a grind on its own.

Honestly I think it's a - very far-fetched and egotistical, admittedly - combination of missing the boat as an originator combined with the fear of being a hack fraud lol

OTOH, can't even be a fraud if the content isn't pushed out, right? Better execute one of these days.

Thanks, appreciate the encouragement guys.
    Some advice I've seen is that you should set a number of words, and write that many everyday. Once you hit the goal for a day. Don't write any more. You can edit what you've already written, but don't go overboard.

The number recomended in this was 200 words a day, because that's half the number of words that Terry Pratchett wrote daily

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

I feel this pretty hard sometimes, but it's become a little personal joke that every novel thing I came up with pretty much on my own, someone else did it ten to twenty years ago. :V

Doesn't help the one truly "original" thing I did make, other people immediately snatched up the idea and made better stories than I did with my own premise. Which, I was happy to be inspiring, but it's a knife in the gut every time they make something that makes my stuff look like trash, and/or tackles a facet of the premise that I tell myself "Goddamn it, I should have already written that" (but of course, I didn't already write it for a reason).

That all said, I'm not gunna ply you with the typical encouragements that always missed the mark when people gave them to me, appreciative though I am of the good intention. It comes down to this: do you have a story you need to get out of you? Then get it out of you. If it comes from your own mind/soul/heart/gut/seething-internal-lifeforce, then however much it looks like someone else's work, it's still your own story that's trying to hatch from your skull. If you're not in a hurry, and not trying to write to market anyway, you can do it at your own pace and however you like (as long as you don't take so long it doesn't end up happening and you end up regretting not doing it for that reason).

It can be a blow to the excitement to see your ideas already mirrored, but if the tale is still clawing at the door, then if only for your own since of accomplishment, that's reason enough to manifest it.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 01-19-2022 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post

My ride into town. Never seen the sun quite like that before.
    Woah, triple sundogs!

(probably quadruple, but the fourth would be below the horizon)

I remember seeing this halo effect around a full moon one time, and it honestly looked like seeing the dark side of another planet in the sky.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Woah, triple sundogs!

(probably quadruple, but the fourth would be below the horizon)

I remember seeing this halo effect around a full moon one time, and it honestly looked like seeing the dark side of another planet in the sky.
    So that is what it is called. I've never seen that effect here on the East Coast.

Here are some more:

Photo Gallery: January Sundogs
    -FARGO, N.D. (Valley News Live)
    Last edited by Tami; 01-20-2022 at 07:16 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Edit: Nevermind, pointless.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-20-2022 at 10:43 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

When I realized I wrote more scenes on my writing group's discord than my own documents, I gotta say...Feels really weird.

Also binge reading a manga about pirates, Sunset Rose.

...It's kinda meh? Not bad but not good, just okay? It's like you know it's doing its best to be engaging so it's like an A for effort kind of deal?

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Edit: Nevermind, pointless.
    How could one so pointy be pointless?

spoilers:
    :V
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    When I realized I wrote more scenes on my writing group's discord than my own documents, I gotta say...Feels really weird.
    If I could bundle my Discord ramblings into novels, I'd have half a Wheel of Time under my belt. :V

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Not a bad costume. This for a show or one of the movies?
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 01-20-2022 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Not a bad costume. This for a show or one of the movies?
    The upcoming Batgirl Movie.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Batgirl costume looks good.

Speaking of which, the new Batman movie will be 2 hours and 55 minutes.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie