The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I think i heard the adaptation wasn't great.
    I never watched it, but from what I understand (like Tami says) it was almost a parody of the books.

Didn't like the books, myself. Martin is extremely good at the craft of writing, but his stuff was not my style.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I never watched it, but from what I understand (like Tami says) it was almost a parody of the books.

Didn't like the books, myself. Martin is extremely good at the craft of writing, but his stuff was not my style.
    Wasn't Tami talking about the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher?

Because while Game of Thrones eventually just wasn't faithful to the source material later on (both from catching up to the books to the show runners just doing whatever to the characters that was kinda evident at the start), The Dresden Files TV series was...Definitely something else compared to the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post

Because while Game of Thrones eventually just wasn't faithful to the source material later on (both from catching up to the books to the show runners just doing whatever to the characters that was kinda evident at the start), The Dresden Files TV series was...Definitely something else compared to the books.
    She and Postman were both referring to Dresden Files, I believe, yes.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Ah, maybe she was talking about DR. My bad.

I heard it was also rather exaggerated compared to Martin's books. Like, from the first scene.

But then, that's just what I heard; again, never actually watched the series myself.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Ah, maybe she was talking about DR. My bad.

I heard it was also rather exaggerated compared to Martin's books. Like, from the first scene.

But then, that's just what I heard; again, never actually watched the series myself.
    Yeah, that's definitely the word there, exaggerated. Not to mention the showrunners showing some blatant bias towards characters regardless of the books portrayal as they frankly admit they just don't understand said characters at all.

...Like having one of the series best military commanders getting his army crippled by 20 men cause they admit they don't like Stannis freaking Baratheon.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    She and Postman were both referring to Dresden Files, I believe, yes.
    Yes, I was talking about the Drresden Files. I've never really indulged in GoT so I am not that familiar with Martin's work.

I should have been clearer in my response. Made an edit to avoid future confusion.
    Last edited by Tami; 03-02-2021 at 01:24 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Yeah, that's definitely the word there, exaggerated. Not to mention the showrunners showing some blatant bias towards characters regardless of the books portrayal as they frankly admit they just don't understand said characters at all.

...Like having one of the series best military commanders getting his army crippled by 20 men cause they admit they don't like Stannis freaking Baratheon.
    Ah, I only have the show for reference. Never read the books.

In the show, Stannis’ main characteristics seem to just be: i) Killed his brother who also wanted the throne, therefore must be evil for some reason; ii) becomes a complete moron around Melisandre.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Yes, I was talking about the Drresden Files. I've never really indulged in GoT so I am not that familiar with Martin's work.
    Yeah, the Dresden show is like if the makers of Murder She Wrote decided to do grim and gritty, so took a rejected Buffy script, removed all the humour and characterisation, then produced it with minimal budget, minimal direction, and with Terrence Mann playing Bob like a bad Tim Curry impersonator.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Ah, I only have the show for reference. Never read the books.

In the show, Stannis’ main characteristics seem to just be: i) Killed his brother who also wanted the throne, therefore must be evil for some reason; ii) becomes a complete moron around Melisandre.
    Yeah, Stannis in the books is honestly complicated but nowhere near what the show decided to portray him as. Stannis honestly is one tough son of a bitch, not this guy with the moral durability of glass.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

just learned that there is a digital version of "gloomhaven".

i **** you not, if i can get the cash for it, i will stream that **** on my channel. the only things that were stopping me from getting the board game was its price (90-110 bucks) and it's size (5lbs box)

just watch it for the first clip.

When I keep finding people asking why no one, specifically Vegeta, ever used the Dragon Balls to bring his people back to life...I seriously wondered what they're expecting if it did happen.

...Like really, no wonder how much the lore is adding to make the Saiyans of the main universe less scummy (or at least the scummiest traits came from the nobility), they were still rather scummy people. Like, nobody in-universe could honestly admit they felt bad for them.

King Vegeta could act like a boisterous grandfather to Kid Trunks cause he reminds him of Vegeta? What are these people watching?
    Seriously, even Vegeta in the latest chapter of Super admitted that his father and the Saiyans died because of overdue karma, so he's clearly not invested in the idea of reviving his race. The closest fans will get to a revival of the Saiyans is Shenron turning some of the human populace into Saiyans in about 100 years from the present timeframe ( because whether fans acknowledge it or not, DBO is canon)
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

It's Season 2 and they're still idiots.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

It's Season 2 and they're still idiots.
    six eps in and she still hasn't gotten that **** check out!

ryan...........YOU ARE BLEEDING GREEN STUFF FROM YOUR SHOULDER! GET....HELP!

and i honestly feel bad for luke. he's just been getting **** on left and right from everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    six eps in and she still hasn't gotten that **** check out!

ryan...........YOU ARE BLEEDING GREEN STUFF FROM YOUR SHOULDER! GET....HELP!

and i honestly feel bad for luke. he's just been getting **** on left and right from everyone.
    I think they're having Ryan keep the wound so they have an easy way to write her out if Javicia quits at the end of the season like Ruby Rose did at the end of Season 1. If she sticks around for Season 3, she gets it fixed. If she quits, oh noes she dead!... Throw the suit at the next Batwoman for Season 3.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis