Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Some of the dialogue alluded to something causing him to act out of character. Could be Mecha, or some other deal. I'll give it a watch.
    Yeah, the characters said that "something is provoking him" and there're some rumors that Mecha Godzilla will make an appearance in this movie, so we'll see what up with Big G.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Last edited by Len Ikari145; 01-24-2021 at 10:30 PM.

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Not really liking how this trailer is making Godzilla into the bad guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I don't like how Godzilla's characterization seems to contrast with KOTM.

But maybe it is something else like Fist said
    The running speculation is that it's a frame job like the original mechagodzilla movie

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Oh yeah, this looks great. Probably the first vs. movie I'm really excited about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    The running speculation is that it's a frame job like the original mechagodzilla movie
    Yeah, I suspect that it's Mecha-Godzilla and/or some device that's making Godzilla rampage, not the first time such a device has been created in this verse.

Also, Godzilla and Kong aren't Goku and Vegeta. They're not gonna challenge each other to a sparring match. One of them had to be the bad guy for this movie and Kong is pretty easily the underdog here so it makes more sense for Godzilla to take the villain role.

...and while I really do like Godzilla being a good guy I'm also looking forward to him just messing stuff up.

I do appreciate how it's not simply "Kong vs. Godzilla". It's, "Kong with a LOT of help vs. Godzilla".

Makes it slightly more believable.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

I’m going to potentially be controversial here.

I don’t see the appeal of Godzilla one bit. Usually I can get it, even if it’s not my thing (like in the case of most anime-type stuff I’ve seen), but with Godzilla... nothing. Leaves me completely cold.

I get that there clearly IS an attraction for others. I just struggle to understand it.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I'm also fine with Godzilla being the villain. My favorite energy for Godzilla is when, as a metaphor for nuclear power, he reminds mankind that he's not intrinsically moral or benevolent and that he is, at his core, fundamentally dangerous. Original Godzilla vs King Ghidora is a great example of this.

That's one of the things I disliked about KotM, Godzilla beat Ghidora and then apparently ushered in an age of utopian peace and fixed the environment.

That was way too saccharine for me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I’m going to potentially be controversial here.

I don’t see the appeal of Godzilla one bit. Usually I can get it, even if it’s not my thing (like in the case of most anime-type stuff I’ve seen), but with Godzilla... nothing. Leaves me completely cold.

I get that there clearly IS an attraction for others. I just struggle to understand it.
    Do you have that issue with other monster films, or is it just godzilla?

I guess I’m probably disinterested in most kaiju-type movies.

Extraordinary Member

Makes sense. Can't like every type of story.

I for one am rarely interested in western and cyberpunk stories.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Makes sense. Can't like every type of story.

I for one am rarely interested in western and cyberpunk stories.
    That's interesting.

What constitutes a cyberpunk story in your eyes? Western, I can more understand having an aversion to the genre as a whole as it has a somewhat more rigid set of storytelling conventions attached to it.

Cyberpunk though tends to be a lot broader in terms of what kinds of stories are counted within the genre. Like Neuromancer and AKIRA are both ostensibly cyberpunk narratives but are telling wildly different stories and doing very different things.

I suppose a better question would be what don't you like about the cyberpunk genre, however you define it, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I do appreciate how it's not simply "Kong vs. Godzilla". It's, "Kong with a LOT of help vs. Godzilla".

Makes it slightly more believable.
    Like how that axe, for instance, is actually made from one of Godzilla's dorsal fins, which explains why he could block his atomic breath.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    just found out that mira furlan, who played ambassador delenn on "babylon 5", has passed away from west nile virus at the age of 65.

one of the all time great sci-fi ladies.
    Oh, man. That sucks.

She was amazing in that role.

(That came out wrong - I mean it would suck even if she was a terrible actor, but she really wasn’t.)
    I get your meaning, and yeah, this is crushing. Another B5 member gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I'm also fine with Godzilla being the villain. My favorite energy for Godzilla is when, as a metaphor for nuclear power, he reminds mankind that he's not intrinsically moral or benevolent and that he is, at his core, fundamentally dangerous. Original Godzilla vs King Ghidora is a great example of this.
    Agreed.

I also like just listening to him do the scream.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Oh yeah, this looks great. Probably the first vs. movie I'm really excited about.

Yeah, I suspect that it's Mecha-Godzilla and/or some device that's making Godzilla rampage, not the first time such a device has been created in this verse.

Also, Godzilla and Kong aren't Goku and Vegeta. They're not gonna challenge each other to a sparring match. One of them had to be the bad guy for this movie and Kong is pretty easily the underdog here so it makes more sense for Godzilla to take the villain role.

...and while I really do like Godzilla being a good guy I'm also looking forward to him just messing stuff up.
    Another theory online is that Big G somehow found out that Monarch confiscated the surviving Ghidorah head, and is on a man-hunt to find and destroy it, while being pissed at the humanity for preserving and potentially revitalizing his worst enemy.
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 01-25-2021 at 05:31 AM.

I should clarify this, I think.

I guess I’m less into Big G than other monster movies, because in most monster movies, the monster doesn’t get portrayed as the protagonist.

I just can’t empathise with a 200’ nuclear lizard destroying cities and fighting other 200’ monsters.

It always feels like the kind of thing a seven-year old would draw in art class and parents might stick on the fridge for a couple of months until they brought home their next swimming certificate or something.