Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    It depends on what the adaptation requires I guess, and how true they want to be to the source material.

The story requires, at the bare minimum, Mina, Jonathan, Seward and Van Helsing.

If we include Lucy, she requires a suitor.

If the adaptation has Renfield, you need Seward to run the asylum and also make the call to Van Helsing.

If you want the proper gentleman suitor, throw in Arthur to contrast with Jack.

So relatively speaking, Quincy, the high society Texan hunter, might seem kinda...random, I guess, in this setting and perhaps the most immediately omottable. All the same dude brought all the conventional firepower and Dracula is both sillier and radder for it.
    Eh, when it comes to the actual book Lucy is critically important. Definitely more so than Seward and arguably Van Helsing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Eh, when it comes to the actual book Lucy is critically important. Definitely more so than Seward and arguably Van Helsing.
    Hence why I said "at the bare minimum," yes?

But if you would like to have an actual discussion, please, elucidate.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Hence why I said "at the bare minimum," yes?

But if you would like to have an actual discussion, please, elucidate.
    Sorry if I came off as Hostile, wasn't my intent.

But to elaborate:Lucy is the glue that holds that plot together, once Dracula leaves his castle. At that point, everything revolves around Lucy. Dracula is a sotry about the bonds of human love, both romantic and platonic, vanquishing evil

Mina, Seward, Quincy, and Arthur are all connected to each other by a shared love for Lucy. Even Van Helsing is only there because Seward asked him for help caring for Lucy. Caring for her is what brings them together, and it's only because they all united that Dracula is vanquished. And even Dracula's behaviour through the middle chunk of the book is dictated in large part by his pursuit of Lucy.

She's so central to the plot that if you don't have her, it's impossible to accurately adapt anything in the book after Jonathan's trip to Castle Dracula. You wouldn't have anything substantial for Dracula to do between leaving the castle and then running back to it, you wouldn't have anything that connects him to Mina, you wouldn't have anything to bring in Van Helsing.

Or more accurately, you'd have to invent new things to serve all those roles, and in the process you'd stop adapting Dracula and start writing your own story with Dracula names in it

Going to tell people this is King from Owl House.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Undead Unluck: Damn, Tozuka, I wasn't expecting you to go in that direction with Rip and Latla. spoilers:
    And you just made Layla broken as hell since all of her attacks will hit with pinpoint accuracy with her Negator ability, which is small-scale reality-warping.
    end of spoilers

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

So on the plane to Tokyo, got around to watching 2023 Knights of the Zodiac...Because why not?

It's...Pretty meh all around. Maybe because I'm just not harsh enough to really just hate the thing because it's quite a mess of an adaptation that has some awareness of its silliness yet plays the thing quite straight.

But damn, it drags. It just drags to the point it gets boring which is probably the biggest problem it has. Watched the badass normal butler take on a small group of armored super soldiers with a baton and pistol and...It really overstayed its welcome because it took such a long ass time for the fight to reach the obvious conclusion he barely wins. Nevermind the progression Seiya goes through to be worthy of the Pegasus armor which feels like an afterthought unfortunately. Cassios? Expanding a minor character to be a threat only to kinda just be anticlimactic for him in the end? Not just a drag but a waste.

I mean the cast ain't bad but as we all learn from Star Wars, the direction and writing of the film doesn't quite made the best use of them but you know they tried with what they're given. It just didn't work out.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Extraordinary Member

Jujutsu Kaisen: Well... that was disappointing. spoilers:
    Kashimo died without achieving anything of significance against Sukuna. Just like Tsukumo failed to do anything of significance against Kenjakua. So what was even the point of him?
    end of spoilers

One Piece: That escalated quickly. spoilers:
    And I guess we can call it a draw between Luffy and Kizaru for now. And I assume that they're gonna have to run from Saturn, like they had to run from Big Mom.
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    So on the plane to Tokyo, got around to watching 2023 Knights of the Zodiac...Because why not?
    Enjoy your time in Tokyo! I'll be there in 2.5 weeks.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Enjoy your time in Tokyo! I'll be there in 2.5 weeks.
    Oh, I actually spent there for 30 minutes before my next flight to Ho Chi Minh.

But yeah, it wasn't a bad experience as I ended up in the same gate as my return flight last year.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Oh, I actually spent there for 30 minutes before my next flight to Ho Chi Minh.

But yeah, it wasn't a bad experience as I ended up in the same gate as my return flight last year.
    Ahhh, I thought you were actually visiting that city. Confusion.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Undead Unluck: Damn, Tozuka, I wasn't expecting you to go in that direction with Rip and Latla. spoilers:
    And you just made Layla broken as hell since all of her attacks will hit with pinpoint accuracy with her Negator ability, which is small-scale reality-warping.
    end of spoilers
    Assuming you've seen the first episode of the anime adaptation, would you say it more or less accurately represents the feel of the source material?

Because I'm very much on the fence right now.

... I probably should have asked the Mashle people when it debuted, but I completely bounced off it's first episode so it probably wouldn't have mattered.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    Assuming you've seen the first episode of the anime adaptation, would you say it more or less accurately represents the feel of the source material?

Because I'm very much on the fence right now.

... I probably should have asked the Mashle people when it debuted, but I completely bounced off it's first episode so it probably wouldn't have mattered.
    Definitely IMO. My only minor gripe about the first episode was the lack of the crowd during Andy and Fuuko's introduction since their commentary on their antics added to the comedic nature of that scene and established Fuuko's compassionate early on (with her threatening them with a knife for their own perceived safety). Conversely, this change did serve to emphasize Fuuko's sense of isolation and loneliness, so I'm okay with it.