Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    A raise? That's good news.

I had a job interview on Thursday, now comes the sit and wait. Not that I don't have things to keep me busy.
    Thanks. It kinda takes the recent sting of being robbed and watching a guy commit public indecency out just a tad as being short staffed for months now is well, an all around bummer and it's happening to everyone so far.

And much good luck on how it goes! Hope it goes well!

Get down! But seriously
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Credit where credit’s due. It was Cthulhu who did that little piece of research.

My insight is matched only by my laziness.

Sorry, it’s actually BETTERED by my laziness.
    Fair point! Credit to CoR! . My bad.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Latest news on 18/09/21: UK politics is a shambles. Everyone in Britain hates everyone else in Britain for any one of a number of reasons.

Tomorrow: Same news, change the date.

We’re now, as a nation, simultaneously both xenophobic and oikophobic. We hate foreigners and our own countrymen. So everyone, pretty much.
    You're turning into the Scots.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Or the Republicans
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Bernie Sanders apparent endorsed Jagmeet Singh, leader of our left-of-centre party, the New Democrat Party (NDP) the other day.

People have been making a bit of an online row about it, all foreign interference this, there outta be a law that.

Yet when Obama endorsed Trudeau for the second time, crickets. Funny how accepted hegemony and the media machine works.

...man I can't wait for Monday to pass. There'll be a few parliamentary seats switched around, but I predict we'll all be in pretty much the same place we were before this election was called :/

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

The Scots are actually much more welcoming to foreigners than the English. In turn though they do, by and large, really dislike the English.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    The Scots are actually much more welcoming to foreigners than the English. In turn though they do, by and large, really dislike the English.
    Was angling for this Simpson's reference, but alas I didn't think to link it at the time, lol.

Considering the damage the British Empire did back in the day (not like other empires haven't done damage but they're one of the more recent/impactful) not surprising there's still a lot of lingering ill will, though.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Was angling for this Simpson's reference, but alas I didn't think to link it at the time, lol.

Considering the damage the British Empire did back in the day (not like other empires haven't done damage but they're one of the more recent/impactful) not surprising there's still a lot of lingering ill will, though.
    The British Empire? What a thoroughly contemporary reference.

The various counties of the British Isles and Ireland have deep enmity towards one another (though mostly everyone else hating the English) that goes back literally about 900 years haha.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Colonies of the British Empire basically stopped using Imperial years ago. Basically, as Beadle says, it's three countries (US, Liberia, Myanmar) which accounts for about 5% of the world population.
    Well yes, but my point was how proud America is of not being part of the British Empire that we went and made our own systems of measurements. That are TOTALLY better than Imperial Units.

Like how we took all the unnecessary "u"s out of all the British words.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

'one of the freedoms of post-Brexit'.

It's pretty sad when one of the victories claimed by the Brexiteers, is a worse system of measurement only used by Myanmar, Liberia, and the US.
    They tried teaching me that meter kilometer stuff in elementary school, it didn't take. The reason US uses the measurements it does is because switching to a new one is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Well yes, but my point was how proud America is of not being part of the British Empire that we went and made our own systems of measurements. That are TOTALLY better than Imperial Units.

Like how we took all the unnecessary "u"s out of all the British words.
    To be fair, I never understood what the British fascination with unnecessary "u"s about. Why write colour or honour when literally color and honor is simpler and pronounced the same. Useless use of the letter u.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    They tried teaching me that meter kilometer stuff in elementary school, it didn't take. The reason US uses the measurements it does is because switching to a new one is a pain.
    And because all the science people already use it, they just don't bother forcing the rest of us.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Can't even be arsed to really learn/maintain more than one language most of the time. :B