Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    So you're saying Horikoshi should do the thing he's already been doing for a long time now
    Bakugou flips in an instant from this emergent type-a personality leader and back to being an abrasive clod, who Kaminari among others shrugs and laughs at for being 'not so bad once you get to know him.'

I'm saying this character could stand to grow a little more than not at all.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I've been very much enjoying the most recent story arc of Dr Stone.

Previously, I'd found the series a bit dry and by the numbers in places but bringing in a superior force to act as antagonists and to force the team into really desperate situations has lead to a lot of fun stuff. Definitely drawn me in a lot more than it had done previously.

Also, Boichi's art always delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Ok. So?

He's not even in this chapter, which you evidently won't read anyway, nor did I mention him at all.

So why even bother commenting on the comment if you don't care about the series being commented on?
    Oh, I care about the series, but the continued acceptance of Bakugou does a great deal to lessen my enjoyment. It's almost as if you being seemingly triggered by the comment emphazises my annoyance.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Oh, I care about the series, but the continued acceptance of Bakugou does a great deal to lessen my enjoyment. It's almost as if you being seemingly triggered by the comment emphazises my annoyance.
    You just looking to start fights today or something?

Extraordinary Member

The worst thing Bakugo ever did happened in the first chapter, which can easily be chalked up to Early installment Weirdness.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    You just looking to start fights today or something?
    When someone starts swinging, sure.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    When someone starts swinging, sure.
    But you're literally the only person swinging.

Dark says "I like the recent chapter of MHA," and you decide to pick a fight. There's no call for it, no need to escalate it either by egging him on when he reacts defensively.

I advise you calm down and take a walk or whatever. Come back when you're in less of an antagonistic mood.

The worst thing Bakugo ever did happened in the first chapter, which can easily be chalked up to Early installment Weirdness.

It would be different if anybody explicitly called him out on this, or if his obnoxiousness was punished in a way that had consequences, or if the guy ever learned something that build his character.

As is, he has small moments like Best Jeanist telling him to work on his image or Endeavour giving him a little advice on how to plan his approach, to backsliding into this static, hyperbolic caricature of a shonen rival, and everyone around him goes "Oh, that's our Kacchan, what a passionate guy."

What works for some doesn't work for me, is all I'm saying.

...anywho, this is rather far afield.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post

It would be different if anybody explicitly called him out on this, or if his obnoxiousness was punished in a way that had consequences, or if the guy ever learned something that build his character.

As is, he has small moments like Best Jeanist telling him to work on his image or Endeavour giving him a little advice on how to plan his approach, to backsliding into this static, hyperbolic caricature of a shonen rival, and everyone around him goes "Oh, that's our Kacchan, what a passionate guy."

What works for some doesn't work for me, is all I'm saying.

...anywho, this is rather far afield.
    Pretty much.

I'd like to see Izuku read him to riot act on how he treats people (especially Izuku), but Izuku's been so abused by society and Bakugou for so long, he's pretty much internalized what seems to be an "abuse victim" mentality. He refuses to acknowledge that Bakugou's done anything wrong, especially to him personally, and tries to justify or excuse every terrible thing Bakugou's done, even suicide baiting him.

And saying it's "early installment weirdness" does not sweep that under the rug. He did it, and he hasn't apologized OR suffered for it in any way.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member

Bakugo has suffered from his actions, and he's Near-Literally taken a bullet for Deku. Y'all just salty

Bakugo has suffered from his actions, and he's Near-Literally taken a bullet for Deku. Y'all just salty
    Are you going to contribute to this discussion in any manner that is not belligerent and dismissive? If not I am content to leave the matter lie.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Pretty much.

I'd like to see Izuku read him to riot act on how he treats people (especially Izuku), but Izuku's been so abused by society and Bakugou for so long, he's pretty much internalized what seems to be an "abuse victim" mentality. He refuses to acknowledge that Bakugou's done anything wrong, especially to him personally, and tries to justify or excuse every terrible thing Bakugou's done, even suicide baiting him.

And saying it's "early installment weirdness" does not sweep that under the rug. He did it, and he hasn't apologized OR suffered for it in any way.
    I don't think Izuku, in his heart of hearts, has it in him to do that, specifically. He's the kind of guy who shows up with deeds instead of telling someone off.

Of course Bakugou being a petty person who misinterprets such an action as being higher than thou, it really is a one-sided sort of rivalry isn't it?

Hopefully things well develop given some time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Are you going to contribute to this discussion in any manner that is not belligerent and dismissive? If not I am content to leave the matter lie.
    What's the point, when some people a willing to ignore any facts that contradict their position.

Saying that Bakugo has never suffered is factually incorrect. He was kidnapped, and then had to watch his childhood idol be forced into retirement while trying to rescue him.

Saying that he's never done anything to help Izuku is also false. Bakugo jumped in front of an impalement to defend Izuku.

Bekugo has grown and become a better person, no matter how much people try to ignore that.

So Deku is basically fighting The End now isn't he?

Any advice, Snake?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

What's the point, when some people a willing to ignore any facts that contradict their position.
    Well, you'll never find out if you don't try to engage in good faith instead of presuming the worst of other posters, now will you?

Saying that Bakugo has never suffered is factually incorrect. He was kidnapped, and then had to watch his childhood idol be forced into retirement while trying to rescue him.
    So did everybody else in the MHA world.

While certainly this affects him in a personal level as much as Izuku insofar as All Might's pedstal is his goal, I'm not sure how this is relevant to what I brought up earlier regarding his peers' unconditional positive regard and his lack of character growth.

Moreover, his getting kidnapped had nothing to do with him being punished for his grating attitude toward his peers. He told the villains to stuff it, after all.

Saying that he's never done anything to help Izuku is also false. Bakugo jumped in front of an impalement to defend Izuku.
    Sure. But nobody said that he didn't, it's an issue of holding him to account for being, dare I say, toxically competitive.

Bekugo has grown and become a better person, no matter how much people try to ignore that.
    It is my opinion, shown by the page posted above, that he remains as small-minded and belligerent as he's always been. Part of that, certainly, is in keeping with his base characterization, but in this length of time perhaps I am wanting too much.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see as the manga progresses.