Page 289 of 2439 FirstFirst ... 1892392792852862872882892902912922932993393897891289 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,335 of 36573
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    It’s so I can do security work.
    Ahhh...now I understand. Weird that it doesn't transfer...it's all the US, why wouldn't it?

As an aside, I've mentioned this before, but I'm 100% sure that the person who writes Gosu has some interesting martial arts training themselves, or they have friends with some interesting martial arts training. I keep coming across these little tidbits mixed in with the crazy fight scenes that have to do with stuff that's applicable to the real world.

Can't find any info on the author (Ryu Ki-Woon), though. Will take some more digging, I guess.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Ahhh...now I understand. Weird that it doesn't transfer...it's all the US, why wouldn't it?

As an aside, I've mentioned this before, but I'm 100% sure that the person who writes Gosu has some interesting martial arts training themselves, or they have friends with some interesting martial arts training. I keep coming across these little tidbits mixed in with the crazy fight scenes that have to do with stuff that's applicable to the real world.

Can't find any info on the author (Ryu Ki-Woon), though. Will take some more digging, I guess.
    Guard Cards tend to be State specific.

I think I’ll read that.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Well, this is the first time I've seen Gang Ryong (Gosu) get manhandled. O_o It's coming as a bit of a shock, when every other fight pretty much boiled down to 'Gang finally gets serious, people get smooshed.'
    There's been a lot of "Oh ****," moments in this current multi-part fight.

Guard Cards tend to be State specific.

I think I’ll read that.
    I still find that odd. One would think that States would have at least similar requirements, and thus allow the licenses to be transferrable.

Gosu is pretty awesome, if you're okay with absolutely crazy martial arts with Qi and everything. Keep in mind that if/when you hit Season II, the writer did another series named Yongbi that, for my money, isn't nearly as good (it has its good points, but is really waaaay too caught-up in somewhat immature humor) but DOES have links with Gosu. Some of the characters transfer over, though they're much older.

Good news is that you really don't have to read Yongbi to at least follow what's going on (if you don't enjoy Yongbi, don't try to push through it just to get the background - it should have been called LONGbi).

Watch for the little comments some of the characters drop about fighting, martial arts, and that kind of thing. Hidden gems, really.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I still find that odd. One would think that States would have at least similar requirements, and thus allow the licenses to be transferrable.

Gosu is pretty awesome, if you're okay with absolutely crazy martial arts with Qi and everything. Keep in mind that if/when you hit Season II, the writer did another series named Yongbi that, for my money, isn't nearly as good (it has its good points, but is really waaaay too caught-up in somewhat immature humor) but DOES have links with Gosu. Some of the characters transfer over, though they're much older.

Good news is that you really don't have to read Yongbi to at least follow what's going on (if you don't enjoy Yongbi, don't try to push through it just to get the background - it should have been called LONGbi).

Watch for the little comments some of the characters drop about fighting, martial arts, and that kind of thing. Hidden gems, really.
    The requirements between states aren’t too different but they all have their own requirements. In other words it’s a money thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    There's been a lot of "Oh ****," moments in this current multi-part fight.
    Very, very true, Nik. It's good stuff - I'm just catching up now. One or two more chapters to go.

The requirements between states aren’t too different but they all have their own requirements. In other words it’s a money thing.
    And here I thought it was that 'decentralized government' thing. I should have known better.

That kind of situation boils down to money nearly every time.
    Why are we here?

Season 2 of Kengan is gonna be awesome. I hope most of the cast makes a return.

Yamashita needs a new fighter. Fine I’ll do it.

Season 2 of Kengan is gonna be awesome. I hope most of the cast makes a return.

Yamashita needs a new fighter. Fine I’ll do it.
    You'd be our favourite.
    Why are we here?

You'd be our favourite.
    Then it’s settled. I’ll throw myself back into training. I found a place that teaches Judo and Sambo not too far from where I’ll be staying.

Then it’s settled. I’ll throw myself back into training. I found a place that teaches Judo and Sambo not too far from where I’ll be staying.
    Oh, niiiice. Good stuff. Lemme know how you find the Sambo School - I did an introductory with a place hereabouts and was favourably impressed (sadly, it's closed now, but while it was open, it was run by Igor Yakimov...yeesh).
    Why are we here?

Oh, niiiice. Good stuff. Lemme know how you find the Sambo School - I did an introductory with a place hereabouts and was favourably impressed (sadly, it's closed now, but while it was open, it was run by Igor Yakimov...yeesh).
    That guy seems pretty legit

Mighty Member

Has anyone seen the Twin Star Exorcists anime? Was it a good adaption of the manga?

That guy seems pretty legit
    There was a time when I poked around other places while training in one, trying to figure out stuff about this and that school while wondering if I could cross-train even more. Ended up, I didn't have the time. I mean...training 6-7 days a week? With a job? And marriage? Nooo....

But this was one of the places I stopped by, because a co-worker mentioned it to me. Pretty good stuff, and impressed all hell out of me. Found out later that two or three members of JTF-2 were training there that night. Anyway, I did okay -- managed to keep up during practice, stalemated my opponent during groundwork (was pretty happy with that; he was bigger and less-experienced, I hadn't done groundwork in ten years). But it was a tough night, and I was pooped afterward; they knew their stuff, and the conditioning in his club was pretty high for a 'martial art' place that isn't just a stand-in for aerobics (ie, Karaticize, Escrimacize, etc).

Pretty solid.

I hear one of his seniors is now teaching Sambo at the dojo of one of my old Judo instructors (Tina Takahashi). Pretty cool, that.
    Why are we here?

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Time for a nonsensical theory for Kengan 2.

For those unaware, the author has a comedy manga in the same universe featuring Hibiki, a girl who basically gets scammed into going to a gym and ends up getting addicted to it. She's not a fighter but she has some kind of freak mutation that makes her explosive power ridiculously out of proportion with her general physical attributes.

Danberu, the manga in question, also features a parody of Arnold Schwarzenegger who looks a fair amount like one of the three villains that show up at the end of Kengan.

Reference: https://imgur.com/a/mDUBTmX

Totally-not-Arnold is more thickly built, but then every guy in Danberu who's even vaguely fit is drawn with laughably exaggerated muscles. He also always wears super dark sunglasses in Danberu so we don't know if he has the same eyes (Kure?) as the one from Kengan - and there's a precedent for these kind of shenanigans, since one of the teachers who always had their eyes closed turned out to be Karla's mother. Not-Arnold has also had ominous foreshadowing (quickly defused with a running gag and never brought up again) after seeing Hibiki's punching power that she's "the masterpiece" he's been looking for.

The author has also said a few times in his notes that he regretted not having female fighters, and wanted to draw Karla fighting at some point.

So clearly Danberu was just the author's way of indirectly introducing a new character all along, and Hibiki is going to be the protagonist of Kengan 2 as she gets roped into the martial arts underground.

(I don't really think this is the case, but it'd be funny.)
    Last edited by Siriel; 01-08-2019 at 11:28 AM.