I haven't watched the RoP show so far, and I won't pretend being very knowledgeable about LotR lore (though I did buy the book trilogy recently to fix that, at least a tiny bit), but that fight scene in Ep 5 between the Numenoreans and Galadriel tells me a lot (aside from the fact that I still have a thing for short blue-eyed blondes... ahem).

Instead of posting it here (and risk pissing people off even more ), here, have a training scene from Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends, to help clean the bad taste.

Extraordinary Member

So... the new Bleach anime started today.

I loved it.

The visual designs are gorgeous and the animation is damn slick. If this is going to be the standard for the show then the bits where they'll go ham on the animation are gonna be crazy.

Some nice little additional scenes here and there, specifically some action beats that properly reintroduces the Karakura kids, and a really nice montage of scenes from the previous series at the end to round things up.

I laughed, cheered, sang and did my best "Getsuga tenshou!" while watching this. Bleach is officially back and I am pleased.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchGemini View Post
    … short blue-eyed blondes...
    No judgement on your tastes, Frenchie. But, yeah, another thing Amazon got way wrong. Galadriel was noted by Tolkien as being as tall as a male Noldor.

Noldor were TALL (small, frail elves is a DND thing). Galadriel world be somewhere between 6’4” and 6’6”.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    No judgement on your tastes, Frenchie. But, yeah, another thing Amazon got way wrong. Galadriel was noted by Tolkien as being as tall as a male Noldor.

Noldor were TALL (small, frail elves is a DND thing). Galadriel world be somewhere between 6’4” and 6’6”.
    Yea, but we gotta look at the stereotype chart.

"Big things come in small packages."

Nailed it.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Yea, but we gotta look at the stereotype chart.

"Big things come in small packages."

Nailed it.
    …Gundam pic, where’s my Gundam pic….
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Got it . Basically give some of that sweet Amazon money to someone like Elizabeth Debicki to play Galadriel next time. Or use significant camera trickery. But, from what I understand, that would only solve one issue out of many.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchGemini View Post
    Got it . Basically give some of that sweet Amazon money to someone like Elizabeth Debicki to play Galadriel next time. Or use significant camera trickery. But, from what I understand, that would only solve one issue out of many.
    Yeah, I mean...

Setting aside the absolute dog's breakfast they're making of everything Tolkien and how they would need (in my opinion) to Do Better™, at this point they could be using CGI to do the whole thing.

250 million per episode?

Yeah, they could have CGI'ed the entire thing on a spectacularly detailed level, using the actors for mapping the character faces and stuff (and some of the actual acting, and voice acting), and could have nailed...well, the entire look (which they'd need to research better, of course; again, it hurts to say but aside from certain aspects Jackson absolutely got the general LOOK of LotR correct in those movies, specifically).
    Why are we here?

And just think, we have four more seasons to look forward to. Joy.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    And just think, we have four more seasons to look forward to. Joy.
    Well...the easy thing to do is Not Watch. ^_^ Then Amazon loses, as well.
    Why are we here?

Well...the easy thing to do is Not Watch. ^_^ Then Amazon loses, as well.
    Unfortunately, there are a considerable amount of people who like the show and think it's a fantastic addition to the annals of fantasy.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Unfortunately, there are a considerable amount of people who like the show and think it's a fantastic addition to the annals of fantasy.
    Hey, they can like it. Whatever. It's not like we're going to get another one for another ten years or whatever. I'm just...not gonna watch. ^_^

Pity Netflix didn't win the bidding. I doubt it would have been a lot better, mind, but I bet that the Tolkien Estate is somewhat regretting going with Amazon. They got less money out of it, and it's still garbage (they were worried about what NF had planned - prequels!).
    Why are we here?

Hey, they can like it. Whatever. It's not like we're going to get another one for another ten years or whatever. I'm just...not gonna watch. ^_^

Pity Netflix didn't win the bidding. I doubt it would have been a lot better, mind, but I bet that the Tolkien Estate is somewhat regretting going with Amazon. They got less money out of it, and it's still garbage (they were worried about what NF had planned - prequels!).
    I mean this is kind of the Tolkien Estate's fault after a fashion as I understand it? They severely limited what they were allowed to use, and didn't pay attention to say, Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire; and how quickly off the rails that went the moment they ran out of source material.

That said, no people shouldn't like things that are bad.

They should like things that are good.

'Good' when it comes to media is largely (but not always) subjective, you say?

... *sigh* yea.

Arx Inosaan

Gotta have the bad to have the good. I find an enjoyment in that at least. Sharpens the understanding of the craft at least for the critiquing part of my brain.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Gotta have the bad to have the good. I find an enjoyment in that at least. Sharpens the understanding of the craft at least for the critiquing part of my brain.
    Problem is, the bad stuff, anymore, is getting cloaked in sociopoltical arguments. So well meaning and constructive critique is conflated with the horrible (and racist) "da elves ain't white" takes; and summarily discarded.

Arx Inosaan