Page 620 of 2454 FirstFirst ... 12052057061061661761861962062162262362463067072011201620 ... LastLast
Results 9,286 to 9,300 of 36799
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchGemini View Post
    True, I am also curious to see the way a certain person is going to help (retrain? like Lady Shiva retrained Batman in Knightsend) Matt.
    Yeah. I'm less-than-thrilled by said person's appearance, but.

I've seen the second and commented on it...that first vid...MAGIC FIGHTING!

Also, as you noted, guard is AWFUL and one side of the body is 100% forward. Rather predictable how they will attack.

I'm guessing the blond is a complete tyro, so it's not surprising her attacks are garbage and she gets whaled on, but the other 'fighter' doesn't exactly look great either. And talk about short cuts.

Ugh. Worse than the second one.

I didn't go to the weapon classes yet, it is a mix of Balintawak, which is,from the little I have seen, a substyle of Eskrima that has a focus on the medium/short range (not ideal, but I am curious), and Baraw Sugbo, which is a knife fighting style. The Facebook page does talk about applying with a helmet and foam weapons, so it is a good sign it won't just be drills. There is a workshop on Sunday, if I am not too exhausted from helping a friend, I'll pay them a visit .
    Always good to have a look and see what they do and, more importantly, how they train. ^_^

The Sambo club looks good, especially the grappling, which is what I am looking for, though the kickboxing part is nothing special (some weight on the heels, some haymakers), and the city area the gymnasium is in looks a bit dodgy. Also, they might be going a little too hard (slight bleeding here, I also got afraid that someone broke their clavicle at one point, like me a few years ago, even if it ended up being nowhere near that bad), though I guess that comes with the territory.
    Sambo has a very basic striking game as I understand, mostly to set up their grappling. Having been to a couple of Combat SAMBO classes in my own back yard, my feeling is, one gets enough strike training to allow one to survive against a striker until one can enter the grappling phase. It's not surprising they learn something like haymakers; that's common in places/venues where they combine grappling and strikes. Close-up boxing with combos of jabs and crosses pretty much INVITES a grapple, which is also why MMA striking can look something like big, looping attacks - the idea is getting in the hits outside of easy grappling ranges, or presenting a pretty big enough threat that the other guy doesn't want to try walk through the strikes to get a grapple started. Weight on the heels...not sure why. Stable base, maybe (though it's not, really); I went to a SAMBO place once, and they did the same thing. Felt flat-footed. There has to be a reason, or they wouldn't DO it, especially in a club that's actually practicing hard. The danger would be that it's a habit that has developed due to them practicing solely against their own 'style' of fighting.

You have likely already developed better habits with regards to your footwork, so that wouldn't be a problem, other than getting yelled at in class.

Anyway, the injuries thing is both concerning and heartening. It means they're going at it hard enough that you'd get some real training in 'fight-y' stuff. The danger, of course, would be picking up injuries, especially long-term ones. The club before my current teacher, which I did for 12 years, was responsible for most of my long term injuries. At the same time, I learned a hell of a lot about actually getting in there and scuffling. So...depends if it's worth it. I wouldn't continue that kind of thing NOW, due to being close to 50 and injuries being both more possible and more debilitating. But if I had to go back and do it again? I might do the same, only a little more 'smart'. ^_^

I wouldn't say "good at Savate", just capable enough to enter minor competitions and do well enough, and definitely far from bored. I guess the Judo/Savate combination is a better idea, voicing out (or writing out) concerns does help, thanks .

One of the Judo clubs is in the same gymnasium as the one I practice Savate. The other is not far from the train station before mine. Which one I choose will depend on the weapon classes .
    Cool.

Hey, if you're going into competitions, it means you have a solid base. That's good. We all tend to downgrade (or, in the case of people with big fat egos, upgrade) our capabilities. Because this takes place over years and years, it's hard to see the difference from when we first started - if you went back and tested yourself now against yourself then, I'm 100% sure you'd be amazed at how much you have improved. ^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 08-27-2019 at 05:38 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

I've seen the second and commented on it...that first vid...MAGIC FIGHTING!

Also, as you noted, guard is AWFUL and one side of the body is 100% forward. Rather predictable how they will attack.

I'm guessing the blond is a complete tyro, so it's not surprising her attacks are garbage and she gets whaled on, but the other 'fighter' doesn't exactly look great either. And talk about short cuts.

Ugh. Worse than the second one.

Still better than Iron Fist season 1, regarding the cuts ^^

(And yes, I am aware of the circumstances behind S1)

Sambo has a very basic striking game as I understand, mostly to set up their grappling. Having been to a couple of Combat SAMBO classes in my own back yard, my feeling is, one gets enough strike training to allow one to survive against a striker until one can enter the grappling phase. It's not surprising they learn something like haymakers; that's common in places/venues where they combine grappling and strikes. Close-up boxing with combos of jabs and crosses pretty much INVITES a grapple, which is also why MMA striking can look something like big, looping attacks - the idea is getting in the hits outside of easy grappling ranges, or presenting a pretty big enough threat that the other guy doesn't want to try walk through the strikes to get a grapple started. Weight on the heels...not sure why. Stable base, maybe (though it's not, really); I went to a SAMBO place once, and they did the same thing. Felt flat-footed. There has to be a reason, or they wouldn't DO it, especially in a club that's actually practicing hard. The danger would be that it's a habit that has developed due to them practicing solely against their own 'style' of fighting.
    The stability thing is pretty much what I was thinking about this part.

Anyway, the injuries thing is both concerning and heartening. It means they're going at it hard enough that you'd get some real training in 'fight-y' stuff. The danger, of course, would be picking up injuries, especially long-term ones. The club before my current teacher, which I did for 12 years, was responsible for most of my long term injuries. At the same time, I learned a hell of a lot about actually getting in there and scuffling. So...depends if it's worth it. I wouldn't continue that kind of thing NOW, due to being close to 50 and injuries being both more possible and more debilitating. But if I had to go back and do it again? I might do the same, only a little more 'smart'. ^_^
    Part of me is thinking "I am 29, better do this kind of thing while I can still recover fairly easily". The other part is thinking, "I am living alone, with only one close friend living less than 15 minutes away from me", so if I get injured seriously enough, it is going to be difficult (not saying that the risk does not exist with the Savate/Judo/JKD combination, it is certainly there, and I accept it gladly every time I step on a ring/tatami, I am just trying to be smarter about it as well ).

Cool.

Hey, if you're going into competitions, it means you have a solid base. That's good. We all tend to downgrade (or, in the case of people with big fat egos, upgrade) our capabilities. Because this takes place over years and years, it's hard to see the difference from when we first started - if you went back and tested yourself now against yourself then, I'm 100% sure you'd be amazed at how much you have improved. ^_^
    Thanks . Yeah, especially since I am training smarter (working on perfecting technique, footwork) these days, instead of trying to eat the other guy's punches and hit back, like I was in the early years.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Still better than Iron Fist season 1, regarding the cuts ^^

(And yes, I am aware of the circumstances behind S1)
    Hee hee hee.

The stability thing is pretty much what I was thinking about this part.
    I'm iffy on it actually providing better stability. Heel-weighted wouldn't, to me, provide better stability than having it roughly naturally in the middle. Or even closer to the front, as that would at least facilitate reactive movement. Buuut...I'm not in that club. They must have a reason. Not sure it would be a good one (because 'it works against people doing the same style as me' is a lousy reason), but.

Part of me is thinking "I am 29, better do this kind of thing while I can still recover fairly easily". The other part is thinking, "I am living alone, with only one close friend living less than 15 minutes away from me", so if I get injured seriously enough, it is going to be difficult (not saying that the risk does not exist with the Savate/Judo/JKD combination, it is certainly there, and I accept it gladly every time I step on a ring/tatami, I am just trying to be smarter about it as well ).
    There is that.

The question becomes, do you WANT to do this kind of thing? You can get a lot from Judo and solid kickboxing (in this case, Savate). Nobody says you have to go crazy, balls-to-the-walls heavy/full contact to get some training that might actually have valid use. ^_^ Or if they do, I would look at them askance...

Thanks . Yeah, especially since I am training smarter (working on perfecting technique, footwork) these days, instead of trying to eat the other guy's punches and hit back, like I was in the early years.
    Technique, footwork, proper body motion, posture, ranging, timing, etc, etc. So much to perfect. Efficiency over enthusiasm. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

...Looking back at it, the chainsaw fight in the movie Tiger On Beat is so ridiculous yet a total guilty pleasure.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    yessssssssssssss

I have thankfully avoided Jason Aaron’s run on Thor, but I just caught some of his Thor writing by accident.

I read a preview of Avengers, which I didn’t know he was writing, and although some of it wasn’t terrible, his idea of Thor’s voice is just... what?!

I mean it’s bad enough that he refers to Cap as “Brother Steven”, but check out this horror sentence: “I feel it in my god-bones.”

It’s just... gah. I have no words.
    Last edited by Beadle; 08-27-2019 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Missing word

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I have thankfully avoided Jason Aaron’s run on Thor, but I just caught some of his Thor writing by accident.

I read a preview of Avengers, which I didn’t know he was writing, and although some of it wasn’t terrible, his idea of Thor’s voice is just... what?!

I mean it’s bad enough that he refers Cap as “Brother Steven”, but check out this horror sentence: “I feel it in my god-bones.”

do i wanna know?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

The question becomes, do you WANT to do this kind of thing? You can get a lot from Judo and solid kickboxing (in this case, Savate). Nobody says you have to go crazy, balls-to-the-walls heavy/full contact to get some training that might actually have valid use. ^_^ Or if they do, I would look at them askance...
    Still more than willing to go full-contact (and as one of the more advanced students in my JKD club, I am going to be doing so once in a while), just, not all the time as I once tried to . And yeah, with Savate, Judo, and if I decide to do the weapon classes (and I already have some basics thanks to my JKD club), I cover pretty much every distance of combat, and with sparring every class regarding the empty-handed stuff, just missing the firearms, but that's not a part I am particularly interested in ^^, so, yeah.

Also, the Megaman Zero series on PC? Neat .

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    do i wanna know?
    Probably not. I mean there’s nothing particularly weird about the scene, but his whole line was:

“There is an ancient wickedness in that cave, my Lady Jennifer. I could feel it in my god-bones.”

It’s horrible.

On the plus side, they’ve announced that John Walker will be in the Falcon & Winter Soldier series.

And I am happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post

I mean it’s bad enough that he refers to Cap as “Brother Steven”, but check out this horror sentence: “I feel it in my god-bones.”

Just don't read his Jane FosThor run unless you enjoy constant character shilling and him desperately trying to make her being not only the biggest, strongest, bestest wielder of Mjolnir, but also the best Thor ever. Oh, and almost every male is a misogynist or pathetic.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Just don't read his Jane FosThor run unless you enjoy constant character shilling and him desperately trying to make her being not only the biggest, strongest, bestest wielder of Mjolnir, but also the best Thor ever. Oh, and almost every male is a misogynist or pathetic.
    Yeah, I heard, which is exactly why I was glad I’d missed it.

I hadn’t realised his dialogue was so bad as well.

In fact he’s kind of continuing with that same vein.

After he says that appalling line, She-Hulk thinks to herself “You could just say bones, honey. We all know you’re a god.”, which is a) making Thor look like an arrogant douche, and b) actually acknowledging that it was s shitty stupid line in the first place.

Here’s a crazy idea, Jason. When you think of a shitty piece of dialogue, how about NOT shoving it to Thor to say just so he looks like an ass-clown. How’s about just not printing it?

Context please? Sarcasm? Alternate universe Sharp? I have rewatched some fight scenes, it didn't look brilliant (how are they supposed to move efficiently in that stance, that doesn't protect the head in any way?). Though I did like the end result of 100-pound Tris trying to wrestle that much bigger than her guy (hint: it wasn't pretty). Also, regarding the stance, she tooks some hooks, so there's at least that.

Also, hesitating somewhat about what to do starting from September, between starting Combat SAMBO, which would allow me to only do the boxing classes in my Savate club, and restarting Judo, which would allow me to continue working on my Savate... Unless I select that other Judo club, which would allow me to take a weapons classes close to my home, but that would mean leaving my Jeet Kune Do club ... Does anyone have a Time Turner I could borrow?
    Sharp fully endorses it.

Dude I’ve always wanted to learn Sambo.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.