Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Durkon Thundershield is many things.

Easily dissuaded from his chosen path is not one of them.
    Agreed. And now they both know where they stand, so that's a bit of progress. But they probably won't be able to sit down for a peaceful talk for a while.

Well, depending on if the rest of the team have managed to cotton on to where Durkon has gone to, they might be in a better position than they've ever been before.

Two clerics now, Durkon has a fancy new legendary weapon, Roy has a handle on both his anti-undead effect and the spellsplitter technique, Elan has a fancy new weapon, Hayley has her store of wands, they've all levelled a couple of times since their last encounter with Xykon and Roy has actively been making tactics and stuff.

Varsuvius might not have the most optimal loadout of spells to hand and they also might get snatched by the fiends but they still have a... reasonable shot.
    Makes me wonder if we're approaching the time for the Monster in the dark to be revealed.

I know he's been making strides to become a good person. But O'Chul ain't here right now and I can see him giving in to peer-pressure from Xykon and Redcloak, also it'd be pretty anti-climactic if he doesn't find the heroes at least once.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Extraordinary Member

Top Tier Thing content in Empyre #5

spoilers:

"Did...didja say...give up? Cause I can't do that. See, there's this pair 'a kids I know. Little...little scrappers. Never known nothing but war. Can't...can't seem to get their faces outta my head...It's funny. Ain't like I'm short a reasons to fight, right? You killed my friend...you wanna kill my family...why am I thinking about two strangers? Only...these to kids got a chance now. Chance at a home...chance at a better life. And all I gotta do is not give up on 'em. All I gotta due is not die.

So I guess I can't die. I'm the immortal Thing. Put up ya dukes"
    end of spoilers

Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest:...spoilers:
    So, it's not only been re-affirmed by Aldoron that Natsu is still E.N.D and revealed that he retains the flames that he's absorbed from other Dragons(Atlas, Ignia and Igneel), but it's being foreshadowed he may, in fact, become the final boss of the series or at least the penultimate antagonist.
    end of spoilers
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

I’ve been rereading Swamp Thing and Animal Man from DC’s new 52. I know that the reaction to DC’s reboot was mixed but those titles were truly awesome!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest:...spoilers:
    So, it's not only been re-affirmed by Aldoron that Natsu is still E.N.D and revealed that he retains the flames that he's absorbed from other Dragons(Atlas, Ignia and Igneel), but it's being foreshadowed he may, in fact, become the final boss of the series or at least the penultimate antagonist.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I woul very much appreciate some E.N.D. action down the line, and I like that Atlas Flame got a nod there as well when Natsu started summoning up his powers.

I hope the rest of the main cast gets some power ups of their own. It feels like Natsu is starting to run away a bit.
    end of spoilers

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Huh.

The original creators of Avatar have walked off the current Netflix live action adaptation citing what they felt was "a negative and unsupportive environment," While they are brought on with promises from Netflix that they would retain creative control, apparently there was no follow-through on these promises.

In a statement, they wish the project well but they are washing their hands of it.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 08-13-2020 at 06:06 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    So he's Ancestor without the charm?
    Based on my limited reading of Tiger/Dragon Gate and the way Sharp talks about him, Ancestor occupies a very different position in his narrative than Black Dragon Hebi. Ancestor is not the main antagonist, he's also generally presented as being largely beyond the main cast consistently and his power is generally static, if massive. He is not really, narratively speaking, meant to be beaten by the heroes.

Hebi, on the other hand, is the current big bad and the apparent architect of a lot of the rest of the plot of Gosu. He has flattened the supporting cast of consequence with pretty contemptuous ease (though I do like me a "group of weaker fighters takes on one strong guy," kind of set up) Now Ryong, the protagonist, is currently fighting him and has, apparently, fatally injured him at least three times and he's just revealing new ridiculous powers and continuing to make the fight even more unbalanced.

At this juncture, it doesn't seem possible, based on everything we know about everyone who is present at this fight, for the heroes to not die here.

This means one of two things, either someone else (possibly from the Sage's Forest) is going to show up, or Ryong is going to pull something out of nowhere. It's a... dicey moment for the story. Could be fine, if slightly laborious, could be very annoying.
    Pretty much. Ancestor started off as a central antagonist for a storyline, then became kind of a reoccurring antagonist that, no, the characters couldn't beat save through weakness exploitation or just by him getting one of his headaches and leaving the battlefield. Or they would stymie his plans and that would be considered a win. Then he'd vanish for a while and pop up again later.

Then he kind of became a part of the cast in kind of a 'sometimes villain, sometimes guy who pops up to murder a villain because they honk him off/interfere with his plans/he thinks they lack class/whotheheckknows' way.

Presumably him being consistently voted the third most popular character in the comics had something to do with this. ^_^

So, I've been reading Out by Mizuta Makoto recently.

It's very interesting in that it's like the anti-Crows/Worst. While violence and delinquent culture is by and large portrayed as kind of fun and honourable and exciting in the world of Crows/Worst, Out is very preoccupied with highlighting two things.

Firstly, all of the delinquents are generally shitty people. You do not become a violent, thuggish delinquent in a gang unless you are at least somewhat predisposed to violence and, usually, come from a messed up background. Even Abe, who is generally presented as the best of them, is now contemplating full out murder in the most recent chapters. "The life" as it were, corrupts all of them. There's no honour, no actual achievement, it's just violence and it's not a good thing.

Second, it really wants to hone in on how shocking and upsetting violence is. The fight scenes start out pretty hard edged but rapidly spiral into absolutely brutal. I've read a lot of violent stuff in my time and Out feels almost paced like a horror rather than an action series. Impacts hurt, people are physically ruined, it's not cool or really enjoyable. Iguchi, the protagonist, is very aware how close to becoming a murderer he becomes and it haunts him, those who go beyond it are broken on a much deeper level.

It's a very interesting little series. Currently it looks to be in it's climactic arc and it's very heavy going. Especially when you recall that most of the characters are 17 - 19. So... recommended but I definitely do not think it's for everyone.

Oh, and Kai is an extremely disturbing character. In a series full of total monsters, Kai is somehow the most unsettling.
    Will take a look at this. Might not be able to read it, but it seems to make points that resonate with me.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Huh.

The original creators of Avatar have walked off the current Netflix live action adaptation citing what they felt was "a negative and unsupportive environment," While they are brought on with promises from Netflix that they would retain creative control, apparently there was no follow-through on these promises.

In a statement, they wish the project well but they are waking their hands of it.
    My expectations were low because of the movie, but my interest is just gone now. Let it die, Netflix
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Will take a look at this. Might not be able to read it, but it seems to make points that resonate with me.
    I'll be interest to see if it sticks for you.

It skirts the line of sometimes just being shocking for shock's sake but I generally pulls itself back to actually focusing on the plot rather than just having pointless gore. Though I appreciate the line of "gratuitous violence" is very subjective. I've definitely found it a bit more emotionally complex and compelling than it's contemporaries in the same general genre of "delinquents having fights manga,"

It's more like a... classic mob story sort of thing. Lots of moving parts, lots of deeply felt grudges and rivalries and the gradual escalation by people who exert violence to exert control but cannot see that the escalation is only going to make things worse and worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    My expectations were low because of the movie, but my interest is just gone now. Let it die, Netflix
    Should have linked to the statement initially.

You can read Bryan's statement here.

I'll be interest to see if it sticks for you.

It skirts the line of sometimes just being shocking for shock's sake but I generally pulls itself back to actually focusing on the plot rather than just having pointless gore. Though I appreciate the line of "gratuitous violence" is very subjective. I've definitely found it a bit more emotionally complex and compelling than it's contemporaries in the same general genre of "delinquents having fights manga,"

It's more like a... classic mob story sort of thing. Lots of moving parts, lots of deeply felt grudges and rivalries and the gradual escalation by people who exert violence to exert control but cannot see that the escalation is only going to make things worse and worse.
    I'm enjoying the art. Only one fight thus far, but I'm all of two chapters in, so... ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Should have linked to the statement initially.

You can read Bryan's statement here.
    Classy, that.
    Why are we here?

A new Kengan chapter is out. This fight is starting out great. I’m expecting some truly epic things from this.

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    A new Kengan chapter is out. This fight is starting out great. I’m expecting some truly epic things from this.
    The art is so much fun.

So much really exaggerated perspective going on here.