Page 199 of 2453 FirstFirst ... 991491891951961971981992002012022032092492996991199 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,985 of 36787

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

That stuff looks like diet soda Doom.

So guess who just interviewed the devs behind streets of rage 4....that would be me

https://realotakugamer.com/rog-inter...rd-crush-games

Arrow
    spoilers:

And after one last prison brawl with Oliver, Diaz goes DOWN! After giving Oliver a serious fight, mind you this is after Oliver had fought the entire prison and some guards and gotten drugged at least once, Oliver wins by stabbing Diaz with his own knife and beating him down and locking him in a cell. Hopefully this means we're finally done with him and can move on to more interesting villains.
    end of spoilers
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Replaying X-Men Legends for the millionth time. I love this game with a passion, but I'll never like how they whitewashed Magma for little reason.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I read the first few chapters, mostly because I like Gosu so much I was curious and found it very hard going. I might go back and give it another shot but it didn't grab me that much.
    I liked the art and some of the characters (mainly the Heaven Ravager dude), but in general, it's not something I would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Is it a squid-chinned, boat-hatted, old one by any chance?
    Always possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    ... but I'll never like how they whitewashed Magma for little reason.
    It's always for 'little reason', which invariably boils down to 'racism'. I mean, is there ever a GOOD reason? If there has been, I've yet to see it.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I thought Magma was white? Isn’t she from that weird Roman colony?
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    It's always for 'little reason', which invariably boils down to 'racism'. I mean, is there ever a GOOD reason? If there has been, I've yet to see it.
    Yeah. I still really enjoy the game despite that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    In every piece of media I've seen her in, she's been brown-skinned. But looking it up, it's horribly convoluted.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

I remain perfectly fine with Tilda Swinton as The Ancient One. She was perfect for the role they envisioned for her, and they got a lady to play a badass role.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    I remain perfectly fine with Tilda Swinton as The Ancient One. She was perfect for the role they envisioned for her, and they got a lady to play a badass role.
    I rather didn't like it.

Did she do a good job? Sure - she was great in the role they set up for her. That's not what white-washing is about, really; it's not about whether or not the person they chose can act, and do so well, it's about the whole race-bending business.

For Dr. Strange, they took a character who was of Tibetan origin and made them white. This would be the mentor, teacher character.

They then took a white character and made them black. However, the character to whom they did this happens to be (in comics) one of the most vile people around.

Recap: Asian mentor gets changed to white. Evil white gets changed to black.

Could they have found someone from an Asian country to at least try to get an Asian Ancient One? Absolutely (Michelle Yeoh, for example, has knocked stuff out of the park). They didn't, and fiddled with Mordo as well in a way that's...hm.

Is it possible all of that was innocent, because someone just had a 'different vision'? Sure.

Is also possible that the 'different vision' had to do with the unconscious perceptions of the person who made that choice? Also possible.

Is it possible that, plain and simple, there was some white-washing happening? Also possible.

Not to be Trumpian, but we probably won't ever know the truth, there. However, given the climate of Hollywood in general, it smells badly to me. Mileage may vary, of course.

Edit: In this case, it's not me being all picky about being faithful to the original character's story - I'm totally cool, for example, with the Ancient One being a woman. Loads of changes in this Dr. Strange story, and I'm okay with those. It's the MCU, stuff is different there.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I rather didn't like it.

Did she do a good job? Sure - she was great in the role they set up for her. That's not what white-washing is about, really; it's not about whether or not the person they chose can act, and do so well, it's about the whole race-bending business.

For Dr. Strange, they took a character who was of Tibetan origin and made them white. This would be the mentor, teacher character.

They then took a white character and made them black. However, the character to whom they did this happens to be (in comics) one of the most vile people around.

Could they have found someone from an Asian country to at least try to get an Asian Ancient One? Absolutely (Michelle Yeoh, for example, has knocked stuff out of the park). They didn't, and fiddled with Mordo as well in a way that's...hm.

Is it possible all of that was innocent, because someone just had a 'different vision'? Sure.

Is also possible that the 'different vision' had to do with the unconscious perceptions of the person who made that choice? Also possible.

Is it possible that, plain and simple, there was some white-washing happening? Also possible.

Not to be Trumpian, but we probably won't ever know the truth, there. However, given the climate of Hollywood in general, it smells badly to me. Mileage may vary, of course.

Edit: In this case, it's not me being all picky about being faithful to the original character's story - I'm totally cool, for example, with the Ancient One being a woman. Loads of changes in this Dr. Strange story, and I'm okay with those. It's the MCU, stuff is different there.
    Those are some good points. Michelle Yeoh would’ve been awesome but I did love Tilda. I didn’t mind Mordo simply because I love when that actor plays villains.

I rather didn't like it.

No dispute that making a character of a non-Caucasian race Caucasian is whitewashing, just that I don't think that should be a blanket bar to casting white actors in roles that would otherwise have a minority actor. If there's sufficient merit to the casting, I'm cool with it.

The point of being against whitewashing is promoting diversity in casting (thus giving minority actors a chance to break through) and presenting diversity to the public to help social progress along in an increasingly global, multi-ethnic world. If diversity is still being helped (or at least not hurt) in a film, then there's no harm in whitewashing a particular role in that film.

Mordo was a multi-faceted character with a strong (if tragic) character arc and a good guy until the post-credits scene. Chiwetel Ejiofor played Mordo well, showing us his fire, faith, gratitude, black and white morality and slowly revealing how fragile his worldview was. MCU Mordo is a far more entertaining and deep character than any other depiction I've seen (which tend to make Mordo a simple eeeeevvviiiiilllll villain).

The way I see it personally, Dr. Strange is an exception to the rule: The superficial warning signs are strong, but a deeper look shows that the movie does diversity just fine.

So we get a one for one on the ethnic front, and a one for nothing on the gender front. Both actors do phenomenal jobs with their complex roles (though I find Tilda Swinton's a touch more memorable). Taken as part of the whole film, this instance of whitewashing seems like a good decision for the sake of casting.

Michelle Yeoh would have done a good job, I'm sure. But her air of mystery and regality is much more grounded than Tilda Swinton's. If I wanted someone with a floating, almost alien-like feel to go along with the regality (which this depiction of The Ancient One wanted), then I can think of no better choice than Tilda Swinton.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Yep. She's a white, blue-eyed blonde. Stuff like X-Men Evolution made her skin darker because she's supposed to be Brazilian, but then again that show never really touched the whole part of her coming from a Roman Colony lead by an immortal sorceress.

Edit: Damn, that's a small Ultraman.
    Last edited by Hazard; 11-27-2018 at 07:28 AM.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile