When you see curbstomps outside of Rumbles

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    If I was independently wealthy (like, just enough to be sustainable in a not-completely-**** environment), I wouldn't work a day in my life. :B

Well, on my hobbies, sure, but I've learned apparently having all the time in the world doesn't help me be that much more productive on that front.
    This, for me as well.

If I were in that situation, I'd probably do a lot more writing, but it wouldn't be as a 'job'. It would be as a hobby, something I'm interested in writing; just something I'd do. Basically, I'd follow my interests but not at such a level people would say 'he just replaced a job with another job'.

A lot of my time would be spent doing what society considers 'leisure activities'. Reading, mild exercising, travel, practicing my hobbies, watching stuff, playing games, etc.

Edit: Which, I admit, does translate into a lot of 'spend time with my wife', so....

Edit: Let's also throw on some more involvement in activism, because I'd have the time and energy.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 11-23-2021 at 06:32 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Watch Hellbound and enjoy it. Thought it was great.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Extraordinary Member

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    This, for me as well.

If I were in that situation, I'd probably do a lot more writing, but it wouldn't be as a 'job'. It would be as a hobby, something I'm interested in writing; just something I'd do. Basically, I'd follow my interests but not at such a level people would say 'he just replaced a job with another job'.

A lot of my time would be spent doing what society considers 'leisure activities'. Reading, mild exercising, travel, practicing my hobbies, watching stuff, playing games, etc.

Edit: Which, I admit, does translate into a lot of 'spend time with my wife', so....

Edit: Let's also throw on some more involvement in activism, because I'd have the time and energy.
    Definitely.

In a way, there is this romanticized ideal of "wouldn't it be great if I had to spend eight hours a day doing something, it would be making novels and comics" but when the passion becomes just another grind, it stops being a passion. Sometimes I can go a straight week doing nothing but writing. Most of the time, I'm lucky to get a page done, if that. Everyone's got their own pace for these things; the worst is when, even if you understand you have an erratic pace and try to work with it, other life factors consistently line up to knock over your anvil 8 times out of 10 that it randomly decides to get hot.

I lowered my hours at work drastically a couple months ago, and will probably coast on part time for a little while yet. At the same time, I fell back into the mind trap of "everything I make now must be done with the cynical eye towards monetizing it as much as possible." Meaning I need to be pumping and dumping schlock fiction for the Amazon algorithm, writing stuff I don't care about in the hope I scrape enough Kindle Unlimited page clicks to more than likely make almost half minimum wage at best.

Spoilers: turns out all that does is lock me in a miserable brain fog where I can't write anything at all. I'm just not that kind of a writer. Kudos to those who can play that market, I guess, but even the very few successes don't stay successful for long, for one reason or another.

Definitely.

In a way, there is this romanticized ideal of "wouldn't it be great if I had to spend eight hours a day doing something, it would be making novels and comics" but when the passion becomes just another grind, it stops being a passion. Sometimes I can go a straight week doing nothing but writing. Most of the time, I'm lucky to get a page done, if that. Everyone's got their own pace for these things; the worst is when, even if you understand you have an erratic pace and try to work with it, other life factors consistently line up to knock over your anvil 8 times out of 10 that it randomly decides to get hot.

I lowered my hours at work drastically a couple months ago, and will probably coast on part time for a little while yet. At the same time, I fell back into the mind trap of "everything I make now must be done with the cynical eye towards monetizing it as much as possible." Meaning I need to be pumping and dumping schlock fiction for the Amazon algorithm, writing stuff I don't care about in the hope I scrape enough Kindle Unlimited page clicks to more than likely make almost half minimum wage at best.

Spoilers: turns out all that does is lock me in a miserable brain fog where I can't write anything at all. I'm just not that kind of a writer. Kudos to those who can play that market, I guess, but even the very few successes don't stay successful for long, for one reason or another.
    Your already a step ahead of me. If I could only come up with something to write about, anything to write about, I'd be fine publishing it on Amazon so long as what I write is something at least some people would pay for.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Your already a step ahead of me. If I could only come up with something to write about, anything to write about, I'd be fine publishing it on Amazon so long as what I write is something at least some people would pay for.
    The people want taboo romance that's just taboo enough to feel dirty, but not so obviously so that Amazon will delete your account without warning. Get crackin'! :B

The people want taboo romance that's just taboo enough to feel dirty, but not so obviously so that Amazon will delete your account without warning. Get crackin'! :B
    Actually I have an idea for something different. But I'm supposed ot be working now, so I'll have to save it for later in the week.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Definitely.

See, it's this mindset that has lead to me detaching my art output from career. My art is for me, I make the stuff I want to make and I can make it the way I want it.

I could not cope being an artist for money (even if I had the skill and dedication to do so) it would do me such a nasty brain time.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Mechwarrior 5: A simple job to destroy some buildings goes horribly wrong. Came in unexpectedly undergunned as I forgot to refit my Centurion with an autocannon after losing my last one in the last mission. Then stuck with two medium lasers, my hilariously nerfed group had to spend dozens of minutes taking down buildings.

Then one of my guys blew up and we barely got out of the situation alive...And the salvage and payout was barely worth it. The guy thankfully isn't dead but out for two months and his mech was thankfully salvageable but I gotta replace vital parts once its fixed.

....Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    See, it's this mindset that has lead to me detaching my art output from career. My art is for me, I make the stuff I want to make and I can make it the way I want it.

I could not cope being an artist for money (even if I had the skill and dedication to do so) it would do me such a nasty brain time.
    Yep. I never really worried about art as career throughout my life, but I suppose in recent years, I've been following all these indy artist types, and you can kind of get wrapped up in the headspace, even when it isn't right for you. I've been making pocket change with ebooks for about ten years now, but even though the last couple years have been my best selling yet, it's still never enough to pay rent, and it ain't going to reach those levels. I suppose it's also the pressure of seeing the increasing gap between what's in my mind and what got on the page over the years, that can get mixed up in definitions of SUCCESS as shown by the current online culture of content grinding.

I've shaken myself back out of that dour flight of fancy, but it's hard to unsee the sheer commodification turns even the art space into a meat grinder for many.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Yep. I never really worried about art as career throughout my life, but I suppose in recent years, I've been following all these indy artist types, and you can kind of get wrapped up in the headspace, even when it isn't right for you. I've been making pocket change with ebooks for about ten years now, but even though the last couple years have been my best selling yet, it's still never enough to pay rent, and it ain't going to reach those levels. I suppose it's also the pressure of seeing the increasing gap between what's in my mind and what got on the page over the years, that can get mixed up in definitions of SUCCESS as shown by the current online culture of content grinding.

I've shaken myself back out of that dour flight of fancy, but it's hard to unsee the sheer commodification turns even the art space into a meat grinder for many.
    That's kind of rough man. I hope you're still able to derive satisfaction and peace from your work dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    That's kind of rough man. I hope you're still able to derive satisfaction and peace from your work dude.
    Thanks.

Hope it stays good for you, too.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel