Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Off the back of this, I see there's a season three of Thunderbolt Fantasy I've not seen her. That's my next watching for next week sorted.
    Season 3 kicks ass

02 he-man is sorely underrated. same with the '12 thundercats.
    I want '02 He-Man's story with Revelation's everything else.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

I haven't seen the statement(s) in question to this effect but I've seen a lot of people being angry online and citing that as the source of the anger, so I guess?

Show is fine by me though, a bit rushed, but it was an enjoyable way to spend an evening after a very long day.
    I agree with Nik, now the story could have been better, but for what's worth it was a 6 for me.

Now if we wanted Masters of the Universe show that takes more chances without nostalgia. Then we have to wait on Dreamworks He-Man. the Dreamworks one is a full reboot.

from a variety interview

spoilers:
    the original pitch of Masters of the universe Revelation. was to keep Adam alive the entire time. in the original pitch, Adam survived; robbed of his ability to become He-Man, he spends the rest of the series figuring out how to build himself back up to his former glory. this was not Kevin Smith's pitch, this was Rob David's pitch
    end of spoilers

Honestly, the Masters of the universe Revelation might have gotten a better audience reception if they went with Rob David's pitch, and not Kevin Smith's pitch.
    Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 07-25-2021 at 02:36 PM.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    I agree with Nik, now the story could have been better, but for what's worth it was a 6 for me.

Now if we wanted Masters of the Universe show that takes more chances without nostalgia. Then we have to wait on Dreamworks He-Man. the Dreamworks one is a full reboot.

from a variety interview

spoilers:
    the original pitch of Masters of the universe Revelation. was to keep Adam alive the entire time. in the original pitch, Adam survived; robbed of his ability to become He-Man, he spends the rest of the series figuring out how to build himself back up to his former glory. this was not Kevin Smith's pitch, this was Rob David's pitch
    end of spoilers
    See, that's the kind of situation and subsequent character development I was hoping we'd get in regards to Revelations. It's a shame they didn't go with the initial pitch.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

two of my favorite webtoons have completed their first season: "God of blackfield" and "the remarried empress".

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

'12 Thundercats had good animation but absolutely no cohesive direction with its story. Ended up just an appalling mess with no real drive.

A shame really.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

'12 Thundercats had good animation but absolutely no cohesive direction with its story. Ended up just an appalling mess with no real drive.

A shame really.
    Yes! I really loved the initial special and how they seemed to be setting Liono up to be like this Disney princess kind of archetype, and then they just kind of went all over the place with everything and it felt like everyone kept forgetting their character development from episode to episode and they couldn't really decide what Liono's personal conflicts were.

Also Panthro kind of sucked, but they were never going to match the original there.

And pinning the blame for Liono's feelings on Cheetara really sucked.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Extraordinary Member

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Marathoned the old Spider-Man Unlimited cartoon. Actually pretty good, keeping things fresh by throwing Spider-Man into a different setting (Counter-Earth) and mixing up familiar elements without too many repeats (although the show did end up finding a way to give him the same "Spider-Man's personal photographer with a jerk boss" job). I don't even mind it having only had one season, but it's a shame it ended on a cliffhanger.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Marathoned the old Spider-Man Unlimited cartoon. Actually pretty good, keeping things fresh by throwing Spider-Man into a different setting (Counter-Earth) and mixing up familiar elements without too many repeats (although the show did end up finding a way to give him the same "Spider-Man's personal photographer with a jerk boss" job). I don't even mind it having only had one season, but it's a shame it ended on a cliffhanger.
    that show doesn't get as much attention as 90s or spectacular. theme song was pretty bangin' too.

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Yes! I really loved the initial special and how they seemed to be setting Liono up to be like this Disney princess kind of archetype, and then they just kind of went all over the place with everything and it felt like everyone kept forgetting their character development from episode to episode and they couldn't really decide what Liono's personal conflicts were.

Also Panthro kind of sucked, but they were never going to match the original there.

And pinning the blame for Liono's feelings on Cheetara really sucked.
    I would genuinely be quite fascinated to know what happened behind the scenes because it /feels/ like something significant happened. As you say, the opening setup and the fresh take on the franchise was pretty strong. It just fell to pieces in such a weird way.

If had been between seasons, I would have understood a bit more because, y'know; creative teams can change between seasons maybe some key people left or something but this in the course of a single season and it went from strong to just a bit lost and flailing.

Weird stuff, a real shame it didn't get another season to try and find its feet to be honest.

Extraordinary Member

I too have watched Master of the Universe: Revelation part 1 now. I remember the original series in general and that I enjoyed it, but a lot of specific details didn't really stick since I was really young watching it. The too short-lived 2002 reboot is fresher in my mind, that was a fun series. This new continuation is alright in my book.

There're a lot of good things in this new series. The animation and voice acting is generally great, Mark Hamill as Skeletor and Lena Headey as Evil-Lynn are especially delightful. I think that they found a good balance in keeping a good amount of the old series' goofy and puny dialogue while also making it more grounded and serious. Orko has the hands down best story arc which was a really nice surprise.

spoilers:
    King Randor's reaction to finding out that Adam and He-man are one and the same just after they died was perfect, Diedrich Bader really sold me on his grief and outrage. The final twist of Skeletor's magnificient return was also really cool.
    end of spoilers

It's a bit too short though, which makes a lot of it feel rushed, and there are a few scenes where people just seem kinda dumb so that the story can progress as intended. spoilers:
    Most glaringly when He-man and Teela just let Skeletor do what he wants after getting stabbed.
    end of spoilers

I can understand why people are disappointed and upset over certain story decisions and the marketing being somewhat misleading. It didn't bother me much, but I can see where the disappointment comes from. I do want to see how part 2 goes though.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    that show doesn't get as much attention as 90s or spectacular. theme song was pretty bangin' too.

Yeah, it was pretty good.

I think it was also sort of banking on people coming off the 90s show, as it really just threw you into the Spider-Man stuff without any explanations. I don't think it was quite in canon, though, as there were a couple of off details between the two shows.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Best line I've read in Manga recently:

"What happened?"

"A child hurled a rock at you, a bandit stomped on you, and you were thrown out. It was all very unfortunate."
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

In other news, finally went back and finished Gosu.

While the final arc of Gosu was basically a disappointment for me (not a HUGE disappointment, but certainly not happy with it), I feel the writer mostly redeemed themselves with the epilogue. I hate it when stories just finish, bomp, and that's all. Here, we got closure on a whole bunch of the characters - what they do, what happens over the next few years, what becomes of them and their own character arcs. These things really could have been done in their own, separate stories (in much more detail!), but an epilogue for me is fine if the writer simply doesn't want to do spin-offs (completely understand that).

Conclusion: I absolute love the whole story, and even with the *wiggles hand* of the last bit of it, I'm really happy with Gosu overall.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    In other news, finally went back and finished Gosu.

While the final arc of Gosu was basically a disappointment for me (not a HUGE disappointment, but certainly not happy with it), I feel the writer mostly redeemed themselves with the epilogue. I hate it when stories just finish, bomp, and that's all. Here, we got closure on a whole bunch of the characters - what they do, what happens over the next few years, what becomes of them and their own character arcs. These things really could have been done in their own, separate stories (in much more detail!), but an epilogue for me is fine if the writer simply doesn't want to do spin-offs (completely understand that).

Conclusion: I absolute love the whole story, and even with the *wiggles hand* of the last bit of it, I'm really happy with Gosu overall.
    That's about were I came down on it.

Final Arc notwithstanding, I would definitely still recommend the series to people. Art is great, characters are fun, plot is [mostly] very strongly put together.